Pattern Reviews> Sewing Workshop> Tribeca Shirt (Tribeca Jacket)

Reviewed by:lamstu

About lamstustarstarstar
CHINA
Member since: 8/17/04
Posted on:1/24/10 8:28 PM

marthamyers said... (2/1/10 9:43 AM) Reply
What a relief to read your review! I've had an unfinished version of this hanging around for several months now. Maybe it's not just me, after all. I agree with your conclusion about body types. You've also inspired me to pull it out and finish it. BTW, mine is in a soft shirt-weight cotton but I don't like the result much. It's not a flattering fit on me. Thanks for your detailed review.
lamstu said... (1/28/10 0:08 AM) Reply
Thank you all for your kind comments. I did wear this jacket last week and was happy to be able to fit an extra layer underneath, for warmth. Dorothy K: unbuttoned, the jacket swings to the back and doesn't look at all tidy. As I think about it, I don't wear anything open at the front, even with a t-shirt underneath.
Patricia Schoeman said... (1/27/10 7:36 PM) Reply
You did a great job on your jacket. Well done.
sew2little said... (1/25/10 6:11 PM) Reply
I have made this shirt--and it's not the easiest shirt to wear. I did sew the facing down. Another issue on yours might be the weight of your fabric. I used a light cotton which helps the collar drape a little better. I also shortened the collar a bit. I had tried this shirt on at a Linda Lee trunk show and loved it. I suspect that she had worked a little magic with the pattern. Still, I like mine and get lots of compliments when I wear it. But, having said that, why re-make something you're not sure about when there are so many other patterns to try!
sarahinlafayette said... (1/25/10 11:55 AM) Reply
Great job finishing a UFO, and it does look like a nice concept, and the funnel neck looks all right, but I agree that the chest and arms are just too big. The fabric is beautiful - as the other person said, just keep smiling and no one will care.
sfshaza said... (1/25/10 11:18 AM) Reply
I certainly hear your frustration, but I love the look of this jacket on you! All that work you did to make it fit paid off. I have avoided this pattern because it *looked* like a nightmare to fit, but you've given me hope that it might work on me after all. I am busty, with no waist and small hips. I am sure I would have to move all those darts around, but, wow, it looks great and might work on me. :) Thanks for posting your review!!
DorothyK said... (1/25/10 10:40 AM) Reply
I think it's a very pretty garment. How does it look open, as a jacket, with a tee underneath?
carolynw said... (1/25/10 9:18 AM) Reply
I think it looks really nice - this one didn't work for me on my first try but have kept the pattern and will try again -- someday - maybe. Fail point for me was the high collar which i hated so will have to adjust that if I do try again
Michele Lommasson said... (1/24/10 11:57 PM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I understand your frustration with this pattern. I have found that some of the sewing workshop patterns are too generous around the waist for my hourglass figure. I still like the patterns, but I know I will have to work with them a great deal, and now tend to avoid them. That said, I think your jacket looks quite attractive; you certainly look good in it.
j222b said... (1/24/10 9:10 PM) Reply
Bummer. Just wear your pretty smile and no one will even notice the jacket!
moushka said... (1/24/10 8:59 PM) Reply
I like the jacket on you very much, sorry it doesn't please you. Appreciate you taking the time to review it because I love the pattern.
Athene said... (1/24/10 8:54 PM) Reply
I think you really made this pattern work for your personal preferences and have a very attractive jacket. Looking at the photos you have posted I do not think the jacket is too big in the collar area. I think that is simply the style of the collar in this pattern. Photo 8 the side view shows the jacket fitting very nicely and photo 10 with the top button undone and the collar open eliminates the funnel collar design feature that you do not care for and looks very attractive.

Favorite Things The Classic Shirt Pattern