Online Sewing Class: Create a Jacket Muslin

Pattern Reviews> Cutting Line Designs> 42201 (Farewell to Arms)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
AL USA
Posted on:3/4/04 11:13 PM
Last Updated:6/28/04 11:25 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Other Projects by Lisa Laree using this Pattern

gaginny said... (9/23/07 8:52 AM) Reply
I have this pattern and have never used it. Since I am also a pear shape, I really appreciate your notes about the shape of the dress. Now I am not sure if i will make this up or not. I will have to open the pattern and have a closer look. I am currently working on a LC shirt pattern, Modern Artistic License. According to the pattern 's body measurement guide, i should make a XL, but i chose the M based on the finished measurements. Even so, the pattern pieces look humongous. We shall see.
JDpenelope said... (7/1/04 7:06 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. (Like the new hairdo, too.) Your reviews are an education. Thanks for taking the time to include the helpful details.
mudcat said... (6/29/04 9:01 PM) Reply
Your outfit turned out really nice.
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (6/29/04 9:47 AM) Reply
What a nice-looking outfit! Very flattering!
Hilary said... (6/29/04 8:24 AM) Reply
Beautiful skirt and top, Lisa! I love that fabric!
MaryBeth said... (6/29/04 7:52 AM) Reply
Great update. I really like the new version but don't remember the older version so can't compare. But the style suits the "new you" very well!
alicia said... (6/29/04 6:35 AM) Reply
thanks for the update on a great review. you're so persistent! love the outfit.
Asa Hagstrom said... (6/29/04 1:44 AM) Reply
Your new outfit looks great - I love the fabric!
Ann C said... (3/6/04 8:59 AM) Reply
Your project turned into a very attractive blouse. Other reviewers have noted that Cutting Line patterns are more suited to inverted V figure type than for those of us with hip curves.
Kathy in NM said... (3/5/04 7:12 PM) Reply
Thanks for the great reveiw - since I have this pattern and am pear-shaped! I would have probably made the same mistake as you with the lower half! The top is really great! (not bad for a boo-boo!!! ) Do you have enough fabric to piece a yoke or gore on each side of the skirt to add hip room?
Peggy L said... (3/5/04 1:49 PM) Reply
Lisa - it may not be what you intended, but it sure looks great on you! Love the color! You'll probably be able to wear this shirt a lot more than a dress!! I'm going to have to try this pattern one of these days - Louise gets some rave reviews on her instructions. Peggy
AuntieShel said... (3/5/04 1:49 PM) Reply
Lisa, your blouse is beautiful, even though you wanted a dress. The fabric sounds yummy!! Great review--I've not tried any Louise Cutting patterns.
Oopsy-Daisy! said... (3/5/04 12:39 PM) Reply
The blouse looks wonderful on you. Thanks for your review -- I'm going to print it and stick it inside my pattern envelope for when I get around to sewing one, too.
mudcat said... (3/5/04 10:44 AM) Reply
Lisa, another flattering style on you. You did an excellent job.
Lisa Laree said... (3/5/04 9:10 AM) Reply
Thanks, Ladies, for the encouragement! The nicely defined waist has been AWOL since DS #2 was born nearly 11 years ago...sigh... Actually, I'm considering 1) using the leftovers for a shell top...I'm sure I have enough for that or 2) doing some funky piecing and making another garment that will elicit eyerolling from DH. I do not plan to discard it ;) One thing I should've mentioned, I guess, is that the little sketch on the back of the envelope does show the big-on-top, narrow-on-the-bottom shape of the dress better than the illustration on the front.
Skymom said... (3/5/04 8:50 AM) Reply
Lisa, the blouse looks really good. I wonder if you might do better to make the top and skirt rather than the dress, though. If you have a nicely defined waistline, it sounds as if this dress won't show it off. It could well be that this is simply a design that works better for someone with a straighter shape. The part you cut off is probably too small to turn into a skirt, though, huh? Maybe you could find a coordinating fabric and make a color-blocked skirt...it's a shame to waste nice fabric!
Mbarkle said... (3/5/04 8:27 AM) Reply
It's a great looking blouse, Lisa. Thanks for letting us know about the fit. I'm a pear too and it will help me choose a size if I ever get this one made up.
kathi s said... (3/5/04 8:20 AM) Reply
Ouch! What a bummer. It does make a nice blouse though.
Aunt Cathy said... (3/5/04 8:18 AM) Reply
I really like that shirt/blouse on you Lisa. It looks really nice - good save job. You can dress it up or dress it down. Thank you also for your detailed reviews. They are most informative and entertaining. I always find myself smiling when I read them.
jlg said... (3/5/04 6:10 AM) Reply
Lisa, I agree your shirt is very nice and becoming on you, even though it wasn't your intent. Thanks for the helpful review.
Annika said... (3/5/04 5:30 AM) Reply
Lisa, it's a very pretty blouse! Funny how roundabout our sewing experiences are, sometimes. We set out to create one thing and end up with something else. Good job!
Asa Hagstrom said... (3/5/04 2:03 AM) Reply
Lisa, I'm sorry you didn't get the dress you wanted... but the shirt looks very comfortable, and the review is very helpful!

by: LM2HYD