Pattern Reviews> Self Drafted Pattern> 181601-1000 (Dog Coat)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:1/7/10 4:19 PM
Pattern Size:Petite
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
dreamdesigner said... (2/4/10 9:58 AM) Reply
"everything looks cute when you have a polka dot on your head" LOL! too cute! Excellent job, and I LOVE the Viyella!!! Very nice fabric, that I haven't heard about in a very long time.
catwoman7 said... (1/28/10 11:18 AM) Reply
I love this coat!! I'm a slow sewer, so making our dog a coat would take a long time, but I'm inspired by your outfit. Our pup has a coat that fits him well and I've been thinking of copying it. Pet clothing does cost a small fortune!
Mimi O said... (1/27/10 7:52 PM) Reply
Very Nice...I love how it looks on Willy. Great Job!
ElizabethDee said... (1/19/10 7:42 AM) Reply
gives new meaning to "you lucky dog!" what a great review, too. re the walking foot, i have had very, very good luck with a reproduction Singer walking foot on my vintage machine, which is a slant. you can get an inexpensive one from cindy peters (feel free to PM me if you need contact info, but if you ever visit Vintage Singers you already know her).
Ceidhle said... (1/18/10 7:27 PM) Reply
This makes me realize my pooch is disadvantaged. I tell her that if we lived in NYC I would dress her up but here on the Cape everyone dresses down.
Slyvchan said... (1/18/10 6:34 PM) Reply
I think I'm in love <3
Berniejh said... (1/18/10 4:51 PM) Reply
Makes me want to get a little dog to sew for!
nancy2001 said... (1/18/10 11:27 AM) Reply
Willy looks super cute in his new dog coat.
loti said... (1/17/10 6:22 PM) Reply
Willy is one lucky pup!
Paris75008 said... (1/14/10 5:59 PM) Reply
Smartest chihuahua on the block!
colorkitten said... (1/13/10 6:04 PM) Reply
It is so cute!! I love the lining. I agree with the above comment on the walking foot; yes it does work and no, the cheap ones don't work so well. I have not had great luck with cheap off-brand modern attachments. However, vintage ones, yes, no matter what brand.
DaisyEsq said... (1/8/10 10:43 PM) Reply
Too stinking cute! This is a great refashion project for your adorable Willy; Freddy is cute too.
Heatherrique said... (1/8/10 2:07 PM) Reply
Very cute and clever - couture for pets!
lilyofthevalley said... (1/8/10 1:40 PM) Reply
Peter, adorable little coat for your Willy. You're right; everything is cute when you have a polka dot on your head! --Lily
Nancy Rhodes said... (1/8/10 1:19 PM) Reply
SEW are you going to learn to make Doggie Fashion boots next? Hope so... Yes walking foot will help shifting layers big time. I have only used my Bernina version.. but it really really helps so I don't have an opinion about low shank generics... I'd say give it ago and please report back here... Cute Willy!
gatorgirl4325 said... (1/8/10 12:49 PM) Reply
I loved your picture story and Willy is quite handsome in his new coat. It's amazing what can be made from things that are in the trash.
Knitters Delight said... (1/8/10 12:20 PM) Reply
Lovin it!
ChristineBR said... (1/8/10 11:18 AM) Reply
Wonderful photo essay, especially for those of us of the puppy-lovin persuasion. I make our little crossbreeds their coats due to odd comformation too.
Peter in NYC said... (1/8/10 10:17 AM) Reply
Thanks for the comments, everybody (and for the walking foot tip, Michele). If anyone wants to make one of these and has any questions about how the to put it together, just ask. Sadly, Willy's housebound today as it's just too cold to go out -- even with the coat.
sewfrequent said... (1/8/10 9:30 AM) Reply
Well i book-marked your tutorial bc i have 2 teeny weenies need coats! they're kind of tubular you know. i just LOVE your pups and their coats!
Sic said... (1/8/10 8:25 AM) Reply
Very cute! I find the RTW coats don't properly fit my dog (he's a pug). You have inspired me to make him one!
fourkid said... (1/8/10 8:11 AM) Reply
Very creative and cute - I can see a new line of Freddy and Willy fun fashions. Using cast off materials, you could develop an entire niche market in your area of good quality and competitive prices for doggie fashion.
Michele19 said... (1/8/10 7:03 AM) Reply
Thank you for another great review. The joy and humor and special creativity you bring to your new hobby is uplifting. Oh and coat is awesome. He's now chic enough for Cathy to take for a walk next time she visits.......(hint, hint)
Annette1 said... (1/8/10 1:13 AM) Reply
Aw, little Willy looks so cute, but I hope Freddy doesn't get jealous. :o) You did a GREAT job. It's very sporty, indeed, and very well made. :o)
mary in FL said... (1/7/10 10:09 PM) Reply
Great coat!
mssewcrazy said... (1/7/10 9:53 PM) Reply
The dogs are too cute and love the coat. That is a fantastic idea to recycle the men's pants/shirt for the doggie attire. Thanks for showing us the photos.
emeraldjul said... (1/7/10 8:26 PM) Reply
Willy is dashing in his new coat!
Michelle L said... (1/7/10 8:19 PM) Reply
Adorable! Cute puppies, and a fantastic job on the coat.
valerie sews said... (1/7/10 7:42 PM) Reply
Nothing better than a custom made coat. I just love the bias collar.
Michele Lommasson said... (1/7/10 6:45 PM) Reply
Wow, Peter, what a great review. I love your little dogs (my Stella Chihuahua sends her regards). Yes, a good walking foot, or even-feed foot will do the trick. Unfortunately, the very cheap walking feet do not hold up well at all. Most really great walking feet tend to be brand specific.
CypGrl said... (1/7/10 6:31 PM) Reply
It looks as if someone else wants a coat too. Your model is adorable -- as is his older buddy. Great review! I love that you used the old pants and shirt for it. Your timing couldn't be better too with such low temps over most of the US.
birdmcfarland said... (1/7/10 6:22 PM) Reply
Hands down, my favorite review! He looks smashing. I have made 5 coats for Little Buddy so far and each one has been a little different as I tweak the pattern. The last one was a bit too long and he pees in it so, even though it's his favorite, it gets washed often.
lynne1nor said... (1/7/10 6:16 PM) Reply
That is just way too cute!
CynthiaSue said... (1/7/10 5:56 PM) Reply
being in Mexico right now, i was lol at this. adorable!!
DoggyGirl said... (1/7/10 5:02 PM) Reply
Thanks Peter! Good photos and discussion - I think I will make coats for my dogs now. You've sure got cute chihuahuas!
BJ1400 said... (1/7/10 4:43 PM) Reply
Both the dog & the jacket are adorable!!!
mollyshark said... (1/7/10 4:39 PM) Reply
Oh lord I'm gonna squeal! It's beautiful.
AnneMarie60 said... (1/7/10 4:33 PM) Reply
Excellent job drafting this doggie coat! I applaud your creative re-use of discarded garments, too. Willy looks adorable in his new coat--and it fits him perfectly. Willy is as cute as can be, and so is Freddy!