Pattern Reviews> Colette Patterns> 1006 (Rooibus)

Reviewed by:purple dot

About purple dot
FL USA
Member since: 6/26/04
Posted on:1/9/10 10:38 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
Jacqui315 said... (1/15/10 12:32 PM) Reply
What a fabulous dress! Thanks for a good review. I hope to make this in a softer fabric.
3HoursPast said... (1/13/10 6:22 PM) Reply
Collette sizing tends to be closer to rtw sizing. Your dress is just gorgeous, good work. Some of us like side zippers and plenty of room for our curves. (Size 6, collette. I'm not a big girl.)
purple dot said... (1/10/10 10:55 PM) Reply
Sew4Fun--I tend to go by the finished measurements rather than the given body measurements so I might sew a 4 or 6 depending on the ease.
Darla in PA said... (1/10/10 7:38 PM) Reply
Your dress turned out very pretty.
becca a said... (1/10/10 1:32 PM) Reply
What a lovely dress! I agree with you about side zippers--it is so much easier to get dressed with a back zipper.
AuntieShel said... (1/10/10 11:05 AM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful, thank you so much for this candid review. I loved this dress the minute I saw it. Despite the modifications you had to make, it is beautiful. I will keep these in mind when I make this dress.
lamstu said... (1/10/10 6:52 AM) Reply
A very cute dress and a helpful review. It's always interesting to read about the smaller pattern companies' products.
Time4me said... (1/10/10 4:34 AM) Reply
nikarphar, I have to say ouch. I don't consider myself plus sized but really just on the larger size of average and I have to say it is a relief that I can find a pattern that allows me to have a post baby body and fit it more or less out of the envelope. Colette does draft for a more natural, curvy figure as she assumes that someone who is a size 12 or 14 would also have breasts. It is really refreshing and wonderful to have a designer draft for real women, not the next to impossible figures that model most other fashion. I don't even think that size 18 is plus sized is it, I know for sure 16 isn't.
Athene said... (1/10/10 4:16 AM) Reply
This is a lovely dress. With a bit of tweaking (as you mentioned the back darts and perhaps a softer fabric) I think you will get the results you want. The style and the color of this dress is fabulous. Thank you for your review.
Sew4Fun said... (1/10/10 1:01 AM) Reply
It's a lovely dress despite the issues you had. Thanks for a really helpful review. If you don't mind me asking, as a comparison and a guide, what size would you usually start with if sewing a dress from the Big 4 (Simplicity, Vogue, McCalls, Butterick)?
nikarphar said... (1/9/10 11:41 PM) Reply
Colette patterns definitely suffers from the "vanity sizing" syndrome.I am not sure if the pattern would be worth our time as these are more suitable for plus size figures.THanks for the honest review and nice dress !

Bluegingerdoll The Peggy Skirt Pattern