Pattern Reviews> Islander Sewing Systems> Road Runner (Road Runner)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
Posted on:5/6/02 11:58 AM
Last Updated:11/19/04 9:41 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Lisa Laree said... (11/22/04 7:15 AM) Reply
Sherril, I did the same inseam pocket treatment I do for pants (it's the technique that's listed in the review). Just leave off the welt altogether and it's just like any other inseam pocket...except you catch the opposite side in the front seam after it's made.
Sherril Miller said... (11/21/04 9:01 PM) Reply
Lisa, I really like your jacket. Good color, and I hope the fabric is better as a jacket than on that geezer chair. I've had this pattern for about 5 years and I've been intimidated about those pockets. Can you please describe how you inset your favorite inseam pocket treatment. And thanks for the tip about the shoulders width.
Mini said... (11/20/04 12:17 PM) Reply
Thanks for the update-it looks much more proportional now. I noticed while watching her shirtmaking video that Ms Islander looked like she was wearing this jacket. It appeared to have big 80's shoulder pads, so maybe that was why the shoulders were drafted so huge. Your version looks more up to date.
Rustybobn said... (11/20/04 8:05 AM) Reply
Hey Lisa! I like it--even the "stretchy geezer chair" fabric! (I've gotten some internet surprises like that, too.) I'm glad you were able to improve the fit of the pattern.
said... (6/1/02 12:06 PM) Reply
Thanks, Darla-- you've encouraged me! I hesitated putting a photo of such a baggy thing up but thought it might help someone to see how it fit 'out of the envelope'.
said... (6/1/02 4:01 AM) Reply
Lisa, you did a beautiful job on this Jacket!! I sure with i had fabric like that just 'laying around' Keep up the good work. You are an inspiration
said... (5/9/02 0:51 AM) Reply
I'm really bad at telling size from line drawings; I can't draw stuff to scale myself...maybe it's a perception thing. Photos on her website would help! This particular pattern would probably be fine for an 'apple'; being a 'pear', I'm going to have to work on it. I guess I'm just enamoured enough of the sleeve treatment that I'm not willing to give up on it yet. (Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment).
said... (5/8/02 5:01 PM) Reply
Yow! My typing is really bad today. I mean "too bad there aren't photos of sewn garments" on her website.
said... (5/8/02 4:58 PM) Reply
Thanks for reviewing this. I really like Margaret Islander's sewong vidoes, but have never seen one of her patterns made up. Based on the drawings at her website I didn't think they would look good on me because they appear so oversized. Too bad there aren't photos of actual seewn garments so we could preview the fit.