Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8327 (Skirt)

Reviewed by:Heidi Cooper

About Heidi Cooperstar
Posted on:1/14/10 10:21 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 28 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear    Skirts

Vesta Patterns

Leora said... (10/4/10 6:30 PM) Reply
So impressive! Your skirt is gorgeous!!
Patti in IL said... (2/12/10 4:41 PM) Reply
You have inspired me to work on my leather deconstruction project!
kiddo said... (2/11/10 1:35 PM) Reply
Brilliante!!! I agree with Ann Smith, your vision is amazing. Repurposing the zippered parts was just so clever!
MaryStern said... (2/11/10 10:02 AM) Reply
Thank you for the great info here. I had purchased a piece of blue leather a long time ago, and now I think I will go ahead and experiment thanks to your encouragement.
Chia said... (2/11/10 2:30 AM) Reply
What an excellent and detailed review. Loved learning about your experience in working with leather.
Linda E. said... (2/10/10 8:25 PM) Reply
wow that is just too cool... you did a great job ,,
Mahogany Stylist said... (2/10/10 5:47 PM) Reply
Outstanding! What a spectacular transformation.
DougieB said... (2/10/10 4:06 PM) Reply
I am constantly amazed at the skill and imagination of the members. I wish I'd read all these reviews years ago when I was afraid to step outside the box at all! My congratulations to Heidi for her wonderful results and for the very informative review.
lgraham27 said... (2/10/10 11:50 AM) Reply
Awesome skirt, great review
lgraham27 said... (2/10/10 11:50 AM) Reply
Awesome skirt, great review
ocean girl said... (2/10/10 11:23 AM) Reply
I enjoyed reading about your challenging sewing. I do admire the fact that you would rip apart leather. I've done it several times and have encountered all the problems that you have stated. You did a fantastic job with all the piecing. Congratulations on having a project turn out so professionally.
marietweet said... (2/10/10 10:12 AM) Reply
Great idea, love the skirt...Who knew you could wash and dry leather! Thanks for that tip, too.
bananaoil said... (2/10/10 9:58 AM) Reply
Wowie Kazowie! Hats off to you for an amazing project. I saw the pattern envelope and I don't think I'd have ever imagined that design made up in leather.
cruizing said... (2/10/10 8:29 AM) Reply
great job. Love the finished project. On washing leather did you just put it in the washer and dryer?
Minnasews said... (2/10/10 8:13 AM) Reply
Wow, what a beautiful job. I really like the back. Looks like a slimming pattern for those of us who have more "junk in the trunk" than I'd like!
AuntA said... (2/10/10 7:55 AM) Reply
I've been collecting sample leathers for some time. Your project was enormous!!! Great going, as I know it is very tedious when revamping a pattern, none the less sewing is the final move when holes are made. Thank You !! Great Job.......
sugarduck said... (2/9/10 2:02 PM) Reply
I, too, am completely impressed by your refashioning skills. This is a great skirt - totally unexpected and unique, as you were aiming for. Thanks for the informative review. P.S. Congrats on the contest win!
kate1950 said... (2/9/10 12:33 PM) Reply
That skirt is the bomb! It looks wonderful!! Kudos to you.
Heidi Cooper said... (1/26/10 11:04 AM) Reply
Wow, thank you all for the really nice comments :-) Cannmal--I used my Pfaff 2170 and it sewed through the leather like 'buttah' even though I was using a Jeans needle instead of a leather needle.
Cannmal said... (1/25/10 7:08 PM) Reply
Bravo...I am so impressed. What machine or machines did you use on this project?
kaitiaki said... (1/20/10 8:23 PM) Reply
Love it. I know what you mean about the ripping leather though! I find that adds to the macho feeling though. Great job!
saskprairiegirl said... (1/20/10 8:21 AM) Reply
An amazing example of "refashioning". How exciting! I can't wait to hear about your next project.
ElizabethDee said... (1/18/10 5:47 PM) Reply
amazing skirt! love your wonderful descriptions of how you made this.
yorkshire lass said... (1/18/10 6:12 AM) Reply
Oh wow. Wonderful skirt and very, very helpful review. You did an awesome job of this. It was clearly a labour of love and I will look forward to seeing what you make with the teal skins.
FaithM said... (1/17/10 7:34 PM) Reply
I am impressed! Nice work!!!
Michele Lommasson said... (1/17/10 3:45 PM) Reply
A super review. What a fabulous skirt. Isn't it great to get something wonderful from cast-offs. You did a tremendous job!
Ann Smith said... (1/16/10 1:02 PM) Reply
An amazing vision to transform these jackets this way and an inspirational review. Just astounding what you have done.
Kayseri said... (1/15/10 6:26 PM) Reply
This is a completely amazing skirt, let alone you made from old coats.
Nancy K said... (1/15/10 6:18 PM) Reply
Brilliant! I have an old leather coat in my closet that is 80's dated and too big for me now and a pair of leather pants. You have inspired me to finally use them. I love it and thanks for a terrific write up of your process.
Karendee said... (1/15/10 5:01 PM) Reply
Fantastic skirt!
Nan Kay said... (1/15/10 4:21 PM) Reply
This is impressive! I bet it will be fun to wear too.
MaryLynn in Long Beach said... (1/15/10 2:53 PM) Reply
RLL said... (1/15/10 1:53 PM) Reply
What a lot of work you put into this. Great descriptive review and a really fabulous skirt.
AnneMarie60 said... (1/15/10 9:41 AM) Reply
Amazing refashioning project! Not only did you choose a most stylish skirt design, you also whipped that leather into submission and achieved a gorgeously draped garment. Pat yourself on the back!
Lynnelle said... (1/15/10 9:00 AM) Reply
What a great remake. Simply wonderful.
Annette Wright said... (1/15/10 8:12 AM) Reply
I'm slightly in shock....WOW!!!
fourkid said... (1/15/10 7:54 AM) Reply
Passion4Sewing said... (1/15/10 7:03 AM) Reply
What an awesome, stylish skirt! Good work! Nice review.
AnneM said... (1/15/10 5:58 AM) Reply
Cool, cool, cool. Great style, I just love it. Congratulations, and thank you for sharing your leather lessons learned.
Peter in NYC said... (1/15/10 5:27 AM) Reply
Fantastic job! That skirt rocks. Your review is a GREAT read, too.
arianamaniacs said... (1/15/10 4:16 AM) Reply
Absolutely brilliant. I admire your tenacity at tackling this kind of project! Leather isn't the easiest to work with, but just look at those results. Have fun wearing!
shorts said... (1/15/10 1:01 AM) Reply
Impressive is exactly what I was going to say! You did an amazing job sewing this but just coming up with the idea is truly amazing!
mesewlot said... (1/14/10 11:54 PM) Reply
Wow! You did a great job!
QuiltersFan said... (1/14/10 11:41 PM) Reply
Great review. Love what you did with the skirt.
Laurasews said... (1/14/10 11:11 PM) Reply
Some liberating tips regarding leather and I love your vision. The skirt is much better than the jackets it is derived from.
SexiSadi said... (1/14/10 10:52 PM) Reply
All I can say is: That's impressive!

BurdaStyle Magazine 07-2011-112