Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 6844 (Cassock - Matrix Coat Style)

Reviewed by:SewEccentric

About SewEccentricstar
TX USA
Member since: 5/13/03
Posted on:3/10/04 1:11 AM
Last Updated:6/9/05 10:50 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes
Miss Lola said... (5/19/09 10:46 AM) Reply
I made the rode for an Evangelist, in a white polyester (owner purchased the fabric), the instructions were easy to follow, i did not line the upper torso (just too hot here so. fla), but I too would suggest using a twill or a bottom weight cotton.
Chrypffs said... (9/14/08 9:36 PM) Reply
I have recently purchased this pattern! I was debating what fabric to use. After reading the review, I think I've narrowed it down to poplin or twill...any suggestions?
Ulfilas said... (8/15/08 6:11 AM) Reply
I want to make a cassock for myself and I've never made anything from a pattern.. always been my Mum that made things for me. I saw a simplicity pattern.. maybe that would be a better option for a noob?
Lynza said... (9/20/06 8:49 PM) Reply
Any chance someone who's done this can give me some pointers? I foolishly chose this as my first pattern project since I was a teenager.
ngakmafaery said... (9/17/06 7:20 PM) Reply
I do enjoy the photo, all husband politics aside! I think I have the pattern around, and will take another look at it...hmm, got to be some fantastic fabric I can use around here somewhere...
SewEccentric said... (6/9/05 11:36 PM) Reply
sorry for the delays - I finally updated the photo link. And um, and the guy modeling is not my husband now *LOL*.
KTC said... (11/18/04 9:22 AM) Reply
Devantier, you need to re-post the project photo! I want to see how the coat looks when it's done well!
KTC said... (11/18/04 9:19 AM) Reply
Devantier is right: I was pretty much a beginner when I started, and this pattern was a BAPTISM BY FIRE! Plus, I imitated the cover and used black vinyl! For some reason, I just couldn't get it to fit my 10-year-old son. Another Butterick (BOYS") pattern worked fine for my 6-y-o son in a size 5; however, this NEO pattern was unisex. The size 12 should have fit my older son, but it didn't. I suspect that it's sized for GIRLS, because the A view (the primary view) is a gown. Tne Neo option is view B. I did OK with their lining instructions. The sleeve finishing could have been clearer, though.
Elemenopeo said... (6/10/04 10:24 AM) Reply
Looks great - too funny on how you obtained such a cool photo.
Ann C said... (3/11/04 8:05 PM) Reply
AWESOME.
Annette H said... (3/11/04 6:08 PM) Reply
Fashion magazine stuff!
SewingSusan said... (3/11/04 6:50 AM) Reply
I am so impressed!! Fantastic coat...hubba hubba regarding the model.
cindyann said... (3/10/04 4:12 PM) Reply
Wow! Great coat, excellent picture! Looks fabulous.
SewEccentric said... (3/10/04 10:34 AM) Reply
Wow, thanks everyone! That's actually my husband modelling (everyone in my family is subjected to this). I kept making him spin to get the flair. Then he whined he was getting dizzy so I told him to spin the other way :P You should see him model my Superman costume, it's funny! I take the pics with my digital camera and just edit out the backgrounds in Photoshop.
MaryBeth said... (3/10/04 9:42 AM) Reply
HeHeHeHe! I'm giggling and squirming with delight at this review and the fabric anaylsis. More! More!
Mary Reed said... (3/10/04 8:47 AM) Reply
Fabulous coat! On the wool blend version yoiu made, what type of wool fabric was it - also a twill? And the fiber content of your favorite version? It is truly a fabulous costume, I have always passed up the "religious" wear section of the costume books. Now I see what I have been missing.
kathi s said... (3/10/04 7:20 AM) Reply
Wow!
Linda E. said... (3/10/04 6:51 AM) Reply
my daughter would love this coat she is into the coat from matrix. beautiful coat who is the interesting model.
JDpenelope said... (3/10/04 6:45 AM) Reply
Just *who" is that modelling your coat? Who took the photo? You are one talented--and adventurous--seamstress.
Judy Williment said... (3/10/04 3:38 AM) Reply
I would never have guessed from the pattern picture that you'd get that type of skirt - looks fantastic!

by: renren

by: ChromoK

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

The Essential Tote Paper Pattern