Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1020 (Side Gathered Knit Top/Dress)

Reviewed by:nicegirl

Last Updated:1/10/12 9:20 AM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 24 people
See other patterns in this category: Tops    Coat/Jacket    Pants    Skirts
caper81 said... (6/7/12 7:58 AM) Reply
I think you look fantastic in both of your dresses! You have a great shape! :)
KG2 said... (1/12/12 8:28 PM) Reply
Looks amazing on you. Very flattering.
FreyaStark said... (1/11/12 11:06 PM) Reply
I think the striped version looks great on you. It is indeed very fitted, but it looks good, and if you don't feel comfortable with it, you could always add a concealing layer, e.g. a drapey, free-form cardigan, over the top.
babbling brook said... (1/10/12 11:35 PM) Reply
I think you look totally amazing! But since you're not completely comfortable, why not just add a light black shrug or sweater, leaving it open. For a more fitted look, you could add a thin belt over everything.
Erin D said... (1/10/12 9:54 PM) Reply
I have also felt self conscious about wearing styles like this dress, but I can honestly say that you look great in both dresses, and I see no flaws. The diagonal striping along the bodice looks really flattering.
jennybaxt said... (1/10/12 6:37 PM) Reply
I love this in stripes - I think it looks fantastic on you! (I am wearing my version of this dress today so do understand how form fitting it is - but judging from the photos that doesn't seem to be a problem on you).
Sewmetoo said... (1/10/12 5:33 PM) Reply
The stripes matched up good. Great Job
lucylal said... (1/10/12 4:08 PM) Reply
Cute dress! I love the stripes, and i think it is perfect for your shape. You look great!!
Raye Ann said... (1/10/12 2:21 PM) Reply
Great pattern for the stripes- creates and interesting effect that is very flattering for you. It doesn't look too snug from here.
CynthiaSue said... (1/10/12 11:46 AM) Reply
This pattern is so small I agree!! I need like a 20. Lol. Really cute and a great staple..
Zacky said... (1/10/12 11:15 AM) Reply
I think you did a wonderful job on this dress. Looks great on you. And from checkin out all your other reviews, you are very talented sewing garments!
JanE said... (1/10/12 9:39 AM) Reply
Love both versions of this dress, especially the striped one, and they both look great on you. I've made the top from this pattern and agree, it's very form-fitting. I tried to gather the side on clear elastic, with moderate success in a medium-weight knit (my "muslin") and am hoping things work out better in a lightweight knit.
Summerlea said... (2/8/10 10:48 PM) Reply
Your dress looks fabulous! I don't see the big belly you mentioned, but then we're often our own worst critic. A girdle-type garment might help make you more comfortable. I've been researching 1930s clothes so have girdles on the brain ;)
mochimo said... (1/30/10 11:59 AM) Reply
Gorgeous style, beautiful print (you always find fabulous prints - I'm envious :-) ) and it looks great on you!
sewer76 said... (1/29/10 2:14 PM) Reply
i have this pattern, too and have been wondering if it is still in fashion- i think it is and am encouraged to try to sew it...
AuntieShel said... (1/29/10 10:12 AM) Reply
I think you look fabulous in this dress!!!! I have this pattern and do not know what I am waiting for to make it.
digs57 said... (1/28/10 12:50 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress, and you look perfect in it.
RobinMCPA said... (1/28/10 10:38 AM) Reply
I think it looks great on you - I don't see any belly at all. I have this pattern, but my insecurity is my hips - maybe I'll try it as I'm ok with my stomach.
annie11 said... (1/28/10 9:14 AM) Reply
I have to agree with what everyone else is saying- this looks stunning and sophisticated on you. A real winner!
becca a said... (1/28/10 8:45 AM) Reply
You look fantastic in this dress!
no7262 said... (1/28/10 7:37 AM) Reply
I would kill to have a body like yours!!!! You look AWESOME in this dress! You really do. Wear it with pride! WEAR IT! LOL! I think the style really suits you. Nora :)
donna mel said... (1/28/10 7:29 AM) Reply
this is SUPER flattering on you! you may go from size 6 to 12...but, it doesn't translate to 'big on the bottom' at all.
petro said... (1/28/10 3:48 AM) Reply
I agree with all of the above - great dress, no visible tum.
sweetviolets said... (1/28/10 1:42 AM) Reply
This dress is KILLER on you!! What tummy?
kerrynw said... (1/28/10 1:21 AM) Reply
Very cute dress, love the print and the gathers.
parisf said... (1/28/10 0:22 AM) Reply
You are much too harsh on yourself. Cute dress and you should wear ii. I have one too and I get lots of compliments on mine.
CynthiaSue said... (1/27/10 11:52 PM) Reply
this print is to die for. very helpful review so i don't screw up the side gathers. and love the boots!
persevering said... (1/27/10 11:33 PM) Reply
Bingo! You win - fun & sophisticated.
QuickFade said... (1/27/10 11:06 PM) Reply
Nicegirl, I always love your reviews, and I will have to say that this is one look that is especially stunning on you. It's simply one of the most flattering looks among your many gorgeous creations. With something with visual weight draped around the neckline, it would be even more so, from that step back and squint point of view, if you know what I mean. Really a great look for you. It complements your curves beautifully, is sophisticated but young, looks both comfortable and dressed up, modest and sexy at the same time. Great project!
Elke said... (1/27/10 10:05 PM) Reply
This dress looks very pretty on you!
Mufffet said... (1/27/10 9:58 PM) Reply
I think you look TERRIFIC in this dress! I love the style and you wear it well! :) Forget about all that nonsense of your figure not being good enough for this and for heaven's sake forget the large purse to hide your belly! HAHHAHA.
zazzie said... (1/27/10 8:13 PM) Reply
It's lovely, and I may reconsider that pattern again ... I had made the top from the same pattern, and must say that the rushing is really great to hide whatever you're not comfortable with (especially after a big lunch !). A forgiving fitted dress - what's not to love ?
crazygrad said... (1/27/10 8:08 PM) Reply
I LOVE everything about this dress on you!
jent said... (1/27/10 7:49 PM) Reply
you look absolutely awesome in this dress! So flattering - so cute.
sewbehind said... (1/27/10 5:59 PM) Reply
Your dress looks wonderful on you. I like the style of it. I didn't notice it before!
QuiltSewSewSue said... (1/27/10 5:01 PM) Reply
I have been wondering about this pattern - thanks for the review. Your dress looks great, put your arms by your side, chin up and wear it proudly!
Clareew said... (1/27/10 4:54 PM) Reply
This dress looks great on you. not a belly in sight.
squirrellypoo said... (1/27/10 4:48 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! I had no idea this pattern existed but I love ALL the views! Thanks so much, it's in my wishlist now!
Carolyn C said... (1/27/10 4:45 PM) Reply
In my good friend Magi's parlance, we call a curvy belly a "renaissance tummy," which is considered beautiful, womanly and sexy. You look great in your new dress.
ClaireEmily said... (1/27/10 4:40 PM) Reply
What belly? I can't see one in this dress - the busy print totally disguises anything that might be there. I think this silhouette is very sexy stylish on you!
papago said... (1/27/10 4:35 PM) Reply
You are way too hard on yourself! I think it looks beautiful and suits you very well. Thanks for the review. You always do such a thorough job. Laura
FreyaStark said... (1/27/10 4:13 PM) Reply
It looks pretty good to me. I think the style and the pattern are busy enough to disguise figure quirks. I'd just enjoy wearing it if I were you!
sewtime said... (1/27/10 4:08 PM) Reply
Darling dress!!
halleyscomet said... (1/27/10 3:41 PM) Reply
So cute!
Gelbean said... (1/27/10 3:39 PM) Reply
I don't see a tummy. I think you look great in this dress.

No Pattern Used Superhero cape