Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3503 (Misses Day or Evening Knit)

Reviewed by:ladybegood

About ladybegoodstarstar
Member since: 5/19/03

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:2/5/10 2:46 PM

See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

ElizabethDee said... (2/7/10 10:25 PM) Reply
Your photo stood out (to me, at least) in the review gallery because your dress has such pretty, clean and understated look. In other words, I think it looks lovely on you. I'd never have guessed it was your first knit, nor that you weren't fully happy with it. Not that I'm an expert, but I have liked KwikSew patterns for their very complete directions for how to sew knits.
fryman said... (2/6/10 1:26 PM) Reply
You're correct - most patterns tell you what to do but not how to do it. Some of the independent pattern companies do, which is helpful. My suggestion about knits is to purchase a softback book which focuses solely on knits. This type of book is readily available and not pricey. Your dress, I think, is great. I hope you make another.
donna mel said... (2/6/10 8:17 AM) Reply
i too am a pear, and love this style for emphasizing the top, while de-emphasizing the bottom. a lighter weight fabric will help. cotton tends to cling - a slip will help. also, a patterned fabric might not show the shadows of cling so much. go for it!
TallBean said... (2/5/10 9:11 PM) Reply
I like this dress on you a lot! Accessories might make you like it better...funky jewelry, cool scarf...tights. I think I bought this pattern and wound up returning it...I like it so much on you that I might buy it again!
mary in FL said... (2/5/10 8:45 PM) Reply
You're dress turned out so well, I'm going to add the notation "make me" next to this pattern number on my pattern list.
Amy-may said... (2/5/10 5:41 PM) Reply
I don't think it's a bad style for a pear. The bodice fits nicely and the midriff flatters the bustline and emphasizes a small ribcage...then the skirt glosses over the bigger stuff! You can use a center back seam to "dart" out the gathers. In a drapey knit, this style should be a TNT. I think it's more flattering than you think, looks good!
halleyscomet said... (2/5/10 4:55 PM) Reply
Fantastic fit! I love the style too. Great job!
persevering said... (2/5/10 3:36 PM) Reply
To me your dress looks nicer than the same version on the pattern envelope. I've never stitched a knit yet, so I appreciate your helpful review because what you mentioned, would be my intended purpose too. Thanks for your encouraging review.

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2012-102