Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 3503 (Misses Day or Evening Knit)

Reviewed by:ladybegood

About ladybegoodstarstar
Member since: 5/19/03

Best Patterns of 2009
Posted on:2/5/10 2:46 PM

See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

ElizabethDee said... (2/7/10 10:25 PM) Reply
Your photo stood out (to me, at least) in the review gallery because your dress has such pretty, clean and understated look. In other words, I think it looks lovely on you. I'd never have guessed it was your first knit, nor that you weren't fully happy with it. Not that I'm an expert, but I have liked KwikSew patterns for their very complete directions for how to sew knits.
fryman said... (2/6/10 1:26 PM) Reply
You're correct - most patterns tell you what to do but not how to do it. Some of the independent pattern companies do, which is helpful. My suggestion about knits is to purchase a softback book which focuses solely on knits. This type of book is readily available and not pricey. Your dress, I think, is great. I hope you make another.
donna mel said... (2/6/10 8:17 AM) Reply
i too am a pear, and love this style for emphasizing the top, while de-emphasizing the bottom. a lighter weight fabric will help. cotton tends to cling - a slip will help. also, a patterned fabric might not show the shadows of cling so much. go for it!
TallBean said... (2/5/10 9:11 PM) Reply
I like this dress on you a lot! Accessories might make you like it better...funky jewelry, cool scarf...tights. I think I bought this pattern and wound up returning it...I like it so much on you that I might buy it again!
mary in FL said... (2/5/10 8:45 PM) Reply
You're dress turned out so well, I'm going to add the notation "make me" next to this pattern number on my pattern list.
Amy-may said... (2/5/10 5:41 PM) Reply
I don't think it's a bad style for a pear. The bodice fits nicely and the midriff flatters the bustline and emphasizes a small ribcage...then the skirt glosses over the bigger stuff! You can use a center back seam to "dart" out the gathers. In a drapey knit, this style should be a TNT. I think it's more flattering than you think, looks good!
halleyscomet said... (2/5/10 4:55 PM) Reply
Fantastic fit! I love the style too. Great job!
persevering said... (2/5/10 3:36 PM) Reply
To me your dress looks nicer than the same version on the pattern envelope. I've never stitched a knit yet, so I appreciate your helpful review because what you mentioned, would be my intended purpose too. Thanks for your encouraging review.

Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

Sew Chic Cloche Hat Pattern (ln101)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)