Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 3625 (Men's caftan)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:2/6/10 7:02 AM

Peter in NYC said... (2/7/10 2:31 PM) Reply
Liz, I see your point. But I AM only 5'7". I fear a longer top would make me look like a gnome, or a lawn ornament, or both.
Sewliz said... (2/7/10 1:35 PM) Reply

Sewliz said... (2/7/10 1:23 PM) Reply
I think the plaid top looks great, nice sewing on the placket too! The fabric you used is lovely for a caftan but the proportions seem off, I think the top is too short for you. These caftan tops were to the crotch line back in the day, as drawn on the model in the pattern illustration. Speaking of back in the day, some super tight bell bottom jeans would look great with this top. :-)
ladybegood said... (2/7/10 12:06 PM) Reply
Great work. The bias placket does a lot to add interes. I can see that the style still might be too plain for you, but I bet you'll love this a lot more when the summer humidity hits!
Harriet Rogers said... (2/7/10 11:43 AM) Reply
Peter: I like very much both your versions. Also think it's time to move yourself out of the advanced beginner category to at least intermediate: the plaid matching is awesome. Thanks for so complete a review: looking forward to seeing more of your work.
nancy2001 said... (2/7/10 10:35 AM) Reply
I think your caftans will be perfect for lounging around the house or the beach.
JanieBee said... (2/6/10 9:22 PM) Reply
I am very impressed with your skills. You are tremendously creative, organized, and productive. We all love reading your reviews! Keep up the excellent work!
Heatherrique said... (2/6/10 8:43 PM) Reply
I really like this cool caftan on you, Peter! This pattern's a keeper!
sewsewboy said... (2/6/10 6:09 PM) Reply
Like the shirt. Cut it a couple inches longer and perhaps narrow the sleeves. Looks really vacationy. good work as always.
Peter in NYC said... (2/6/10 4:46 PM) Reply
Freya, I think you hit the nail on the head: the fabric isn't really caftan-y. It would have been better perhaps as a slightly transparent kilt!
FreyaStark said... (2/6/10 4:38 PM) Reply
I'm sorry you're disappointed in the result after all that effort, and I understand why you don't love it, although it's difficult to pinpoint just what could have been improved. Maybe it's not the best marriage of fabric and style. Anyway it's a fine effort - the placket is especially well done - so don't be discouraged! The next one will be even better.
Michele Lommasson said... (2/6/10 1:33 PM) Reply
Your caftan looks quite nice. I enjoyed reading your blog entry. It sounds like you have a severe case of serger macho. I've had it myself; it entails having to do every thing, absolutely everything, on the serger, even if the sewing machine or sewing by hand will work better. You'll get over it: we all do--eventually. Have fun.
moonchild61 said... (2/6/10 12:50 PM) Reply
I like this shirt and I like the blue one also. For your first shirt, it looks great! If you'd like to see my first shirt, you'll have to go dig it up a landfill.
colorkitten said... (2/6/10 9:16 AM) Reply
Forgot to mention it in my comment on the blog but yeah, I love the bias placket too!
frame said... (2/6/10 9:11 AM) Reply
Whoa, that is nifty, keen and cool. Nothing like planning a vacation around your wardrobe! :)
optimistic said... (2/6/10 9:05 AM) Reply
I really like this; great job!
jilly cooper said... (2/6/10 7:58 AM) Reply
Peter, I have a friend who has this style in RTW, batik fabric and looks fantastic. Yours looks well made and love your topstitching too.
QuiltSewSewSue said... (2/6/10 7:46 AM) Reply
A good take on a caftan - the bias placket gives it some interest.
Auntie Allyn said... (2/6/10 7:45 AM) Reply
Nicely done, especially love the bias placket treatment! I agree that it'll be the perfect beach shirt!

Understanding Wool Fabrics
Understanding Wool Fabrics

by: JillyBe

Sewn Square One Upline Jacket Pattern

Sewn Square One Upline Jacket Pattern

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Sew Chic Pretty Petticoat Pattern (ln1208)

Deer&Doe Blouse Airelle