Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1097 (MISSES' COAT)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:2/10/10 8:31 PM
Last Updated:2/10/10 8:35 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
taylormade said... (11/29/14 10:12 PM) Reply
Ann, Love the coat! The fabric choice is wonderful. I made mine out of a very cool wind-block polar fleece while i was in SB seminar a few years ago. I love wearing mine. Maybe someday I will post some reviews!! Hope you are still sewing??
psikelly said... (3/21/10 5:41 PM) Reply
Great review, insights & photos!
sfshaza said... (2/13/10 3:07 AM) Reply
Really striking coat, Ann. Thanks so much for that thorough review -- I plan to make this coat at some point and it helps to be forewarned about some of those issues. It's beautiful on you!
Leslie Bonner said... (2/12/10 7:39 PM) Reply
Great coat, great fabric.
Modiste Madness said... (2/11/10 10:24 PM) Reply
Wonderful coat and review. I always look forward to seeing your work.
Ann Smith said... (2/11/10 4:51 PM) Reply
Tere Sews, perhaps the interfacing is the culprit. Thanks for that idea. As to the zipper, mine is 2 inches longer than called for but is a double opening one. That way I can open it from the bottom if necessary but have the longer coverage to keep closed.
Tere Sews said... (2/11/10 12:37 PM) Reply
I sewed this pattern two times...in wool and in raincoat fabric. Thanks for the tip about tacking down the sleeve band. Now why didn't I think of that! My recommendation for others is to use a shorter zipper than recommended to give you sitting ease if you have a long commute. But if you walk any distance, the longer zipper provides protection against the wind. I didn't have any problem with the front band but have experienced this problem before when my interfacing shrunk during the application.
Jane S said... (2/11/10 9:03 AM) Reply
What a fabulous coat. Thanks so much for this review. I've been debating this pattern but I love seeing it in real life with better detail pics. Wonderful colors on you as well.
jannw said... (2/11/10 7:56 AM) Reply
Love your coat! and thank you for the fabric layout info..I;ve put off this coat because the fabric I intended to use was a half yard short..will try it now..
marjenann said... (2/11/10 7:44 AM) Reply
Another dazzler! I have this pattern, but unfortunately, not the fabulous fabric that you chose!!!
FreyaStark said... (2/11/10 2:56 AM) Reply
Another fabulous and completely individual garment!
moushka said... (2/11/10 0:50 AM) Reply
Gorgeous coat, Ann. Great pattern and you've done an outstanding job on it. The ruched hood is wonderful, very Ballets Russes 1910 exotic. Also very flattering.
lamstu said... (2/11/10 0:22 AM) Reply
Great coat and love the fabric! I'm with ssssdeb that not matching the fabric motif works for this garment. My recent blouse has the same problem at CF (and it's got plenty of ease), so I was just reading about this in Roberta Carr's book (thanks Santa). She recommends swinging the CF line out from the straight grain - the longer/heavier the fabric, the more correction necessary. I'm pondering this idea...
ssssdeb said... (2/10/10 11:39 PM) Reply
Actually I think the seam lines look really cool in your fabric. If you did match everything up you would not see the seam details at all - I think it worked out really well! Love it.
DorothyK said... (2/10/10 11:36 PM) Reply
Spectacular. Although the fabric does detract from the lines of the pattern, it still works. I like the placket that goes the entire length of the coat. Looks great on you, too.
Barbara V said... (2/10/10 10:53 PM) Reply
Oh...gorgeous! So glad to see this finally after hearing about it. It is truly wonderful in color, surface texture and style and my favorite part is the ruched collar/hood. Super job! - your kitty is cute.
DaisyEsq said... (2/10/10 8:51 PM) Reply
Excellent review. The coat looks great.

by: ryan's mom