Online Sewing Class: Altering Pants

Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 1960 (Men's boxers from 1945)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:2/11/10 7:59 AM

LizzM26 said... (2/13/10 10:30 AM) Reply
I like that you give every detail on your pictures. I love your blog. The boxers are very classy male underwear and flattering. I like the hole at the waist. Very stylish Peter...you must live in NYC! ;P
gsp1066 said... (2/12/10 2:13 PM) Reply
How fab!
Mary A Hodge said... (2/12/10 12:04 PM) Reply
Loved your slideshow. I liked seeing the close ups of the pattern instructions and the sewing details as you were making them.
fourkid said... (2/12/10 7:59 AM) Reply
Love these. I have the pattern in my son's size and he wants me to make them up for him - it is on the "list". I am glad that they are easy - think that is one of the main things holding me up - I don't mind a lot of steps as long as they are easy steps.
DoggyGirl said... (2/11/10 11:39 PM) Reply
Darn it. I showed this very same pattern to my husband, hoping he'd like it. His response was an emphatic "NO!". Double darn it, 'cause they are soooo cute!! You did a great job on them.
Rhonda in Montreal said... (2/11/10 7:03 PM) Reply
BOOOO that everyone isn't welcome to enter the Lingerie Contest!! :( :( The little open "V" in the back...??
Nancy K said... (2/11/10 5:32 PM) Reply
I was wondering about the comfort too. They seem to be much higher than men wear them today. Beautiful workmanship. The envelope pictures are very funny. Great job on these.
FreyaStark said... (2/11/10 3:46 PM) Reply
They're lovely. I hope you enjoy wearing them. If anyone else is interested in making their own vintage boxers, Lanetz Living has a copy of this pattern right now.
JanieBee said... (2/11/10 3:28 PM) Reply
Nice to hear that you are enjoying the vintage designs. They can be challenging. You are doing great work for a self-labelled beginner!
Peter in NYC said... (2/11/10 2:57 PM) Reply
They're comfortable but the fit feels...different. As far as the rear, they're not what I'd call super-roomy; the pics make them look snugger than they are. I had the waist tighter for the photos than I'd wear them normally. When they're buttoned looser the shorts drop a bit so you don't get that snugness in the back. Thanks for comment everybody!
SewLil said... (2/11/10 2:38 PM) Reply
All the work for boxers! I was wondering, how do they compare, in comfort to contemporary mens boxers. These look like they hike up to far in the rear, whereas, nowadays the boxers are always really saggy. Do you think the back piece needs to be longer/larger?
Paris75008 said... (2/11/10 2:27 PM) Reply
That pattern is just so cool. I love vintage fashions and you've done a great job. It was worth all the work. Wish I could find a women's version, even though I don't have Lana's legs (sigh).
mssewcrazy said... (2/11/10 1:51 PM) Reply
How neat that this vintage men's pattern survived all these years and you sewed it up. One neat thing about this version is they will probably last forever since there's no elastic to die and send them to the trash.
stretch queen said... (2/11/10 1:26 PM) Reply
Very nice 40s gotchies....or however you spell that. Always inspiring. I think they should qualify as lingerie for men!!!
Elona said... (2/11/10 11:48 AM) Reply
What a find this pattern is, Peter, and how beautifully you made it up! I really enjoyed the shot of you doing your reps (such a nice hand weight!), and yes, I think Lana Turner's stunning shorts ensemble does have something in common...
li'l miss muffett said... (2/11/10 10:49 AM) Reply
These really are amazing, so much work for a pair of britches! Worth it? Yes, I say! If men's undies can be beautiful.... I have a vintage woman's tap pant pattern that has a similar yoke but I don't remember what kind of closure it has, I must go look.
vivianna said... (2/11/10 10:25 AM) Reply
That waistband is fabulous. So retro, I love the forties fashion. You look like a matinee idol The doogie is just precious.
Peter in NYC said... (2/11/10 10:18 AM) Reply
Almost, Liz. I'm never quite sure how to interpret "speechless...!" ;)
Sewliz said... (2/11/10 10:11 AM) Reply
Fabulous! But aren't they more work than sewing a shirt?
Michele19 said... (2/11/10 10:09 AM) Reply
I agree with HalleysComet.
birdmcfarland said... (2/11/10 9:59 AM) Reply
Neato! I was not aware that men's undies once looked like that. Nice abs too!
colorkitten said... (2/11/10 9:56 AM) Reply
great job! I have a couple of these patterns and I've just never gotten up the energy to tackle them -- because they wouldn't get worn. But they look like they were fun to make, so maybe one of these days I will!
Sondra Leigh said... (2/11/10 9:30 AM) Reply
These are SOO Clark Gable! Fantastic! Well done! Pucker schmucker, I say!
ingysoup said... (2/11/10 9:11 AM) Reply
Wow flashbacks of my grandfather's underwear on the clothesline!!! But I wanna know if you were wearing loafers in the pictures???
no7262 said... (2/11/10 8:52 AM) Reply
WOW! Very cool! Nora :)
Nancy Rhodes said... (2/11/10 8:46 AM) Reply
Wow that certainly illustrates another era... special gratitude due for the photo of the envelop. Now I will need to inquire of my gentlemen pals boxers briefs or vintage?!
halleyscomet said... (2/11/10 8:35 AM) Reply
I'm speechless!
AnneMarie60 said... (2/11/10 8:33 AM) Reply
Interesting style for underwear--so detailed. I was surprised that the model on the pattern envelope holds a cigarette. Looks like you had fun with this project.
mollyshark said... (2/11/10 8:07 AM) Reply
I am rolling at the comments with the pictures, particularly the scary one. Does look like instructions for major organ replacement! Great job. They look beautiful. Are they actually comfortable?
jilly cooper said... (2/11/10 8:01 AM) Reply