Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8629 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:kes

About kes
MA USA
Member since: 9/10/04
Posted on:2/19/10 4:36 PM
Last Updated:2/19/10 5:06 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 9 people

Lee68 said... (8/12/11 3:07 PM) Reply
I've made this dress in a non-knit fabric. I omited the pockets and added a zip in the side. Looks great (even if I do say so myself!) I'm hoping to make it again using a heavy jersey - thanks for the tip.
NancyAnn2 said... (2/12/11 12:31 PM) Reply
Your comments are very valuable. I have been hesitating over this pattern for weeks and weeks. I think instinctively, I know it is not going to suit me. My posture is not as it should be now, and I think it will look awful. I will go for something with a better fit!
Sar sews said... (12/13/10 10:34 PM) Reply
I have my eye on this pattern for warm Australian summer dress -- any opinions on how it might work in a cotton or linen, I know it says stretch but I know some people just ignore this direction with some patterns!!
kes said... (7/16/10 3:59 PM) Reply
miriamlaila: Thanks for your comment! I'm going to try that. I still really love the pattern and may have been to hasty in my comments.
miriamlaila said... (7/11/10 10:36 AM) Reply
I've made this dress in two fabrics and it did work a lot better in the heavier stretch than in the lighter jersey - I think it might need a heavier fabric to hold its shape better.
kes said... (2/26/10 9:40 PM) Reply
Okay, the photo opens now. Forgot it's best to upload to Flickr first.
kes said... (2/25/10 1:05 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the suggestions. (and I don't know why the thumbnail won't open larger, sorry!) I'm going to try to stitch the pleats down, then belt it, before hemming it into a top.
donna mel said... (2/21/10 5:06 PM) Reply
thanks for your honest review. don't you just hate it when you do all that work for nothing! but don't give up on it, you might be able to rework it and turn it into a great shirt. or maybe add a belt?
lamstu said... (2/21/10 7:58 AM) Reply
It's hard to see because the thumbnail won't open. However, the arrangement of the pleats releasing over the bust always suggests 'maternity' to me. Stitching the pleats down could help. Perhaps a belt? Thanks for posting your results.
AuntieShel said... (2/20/10 10:12 AM) Reply
Cannot get a larger photo of your dress. Thanks for reviewing, I have my eye on this.
kes said... (2/20/10 7:33 AM) Reply
Thanks, Val. I was wondering the same thing last night. I might give it a try. I'd like to save it somehow.
valerie sews said... (2/20/10 3:44 AM) Reply
From what I can tell it looks like a lovely dress. Maybe you could stitch the pleats down at waist level.

by: GoodbyeVal...