Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 6082 (1970's Jiffy Knit Dress/Top)

Reviewed by:Heatherrique

Pattern Rating:Easy & Great for Beginners
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
Fabric:Polyester Knit  [See other projects in this fabric]
ETA, August 17, 2015
I revisited one of my favorite patterns (I sewed three versions in 2010) this past May and just recently on August 16, 2015. It originally came out in 1973. I finished the necklines of both using a method similar to a "wrapped binding" method detailed in this blog entry I sewed the strip cut from the same fabric (right side of strip to the "wrong" side of the neckline or from the inside of the garment), turned to the outside and topstitched close to the edge.

Fabric used
Fifth version (blue/gold): rayon jersey from EOS.

Fourth version (zig zag): ITY jersey from fashionfabricsclub,com (I apologize for not posing a "full length" photo).

The neckband of my most current version in the blue and gold, especially with the placement of the print surpassed my expectations. I was able to have the front and back to look identical as intended. I was not able to cut the sleeves to look "symmetric". But, I am satisfied with the overall look.

updated blog post

blog post with the three previous tops

my retro sewing projects in flickr
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These three tops were my weekend project two weeks ago.
First version. I had to re-cut one side of the front bodice, due to the "headlight" effect.
Second version

Third version with front bodice cut on a fold.

Pattern Description:
From 1973: "The flared dress has low round neckline, back zipper, and top-stitching trim. Short dress V. 1 has long set-in sleeves. Long dress V. 2 has short set-in sleeves."

The use of this pattern stemmed from my disappointing experience with a UFO project, Butterick knit dress 5243.

So, I shifted gears and decided to try this Simplicity pattern from 1973. I found remaining fabric from previous projects and shortened the dress pattern to create two tops. Then for my third version, I decided to cut the top from the skirt (against the grain, due to size constraints)originally intended for the Butterick knit dress. Now, I feel relieved to eliminate this fabric from my UFO list.

Pattern Sizing:
Misses' size 12, bust 34

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, except I shortened the dress pattern into one for a top.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes, from all my experiences with a pattern from the "Jiffy" series. As usual, clear illustrations are included.

Favorite Features
* Scoop neckline
* Curved contour at side seams that work nicely with my figure
* Gathered style at sleeve caps that balance what's below the bustline
* Comfortable
* The pattern lives up to its "Jiffy" name

There is nothing to dislike about the pattern except for the facings which I excluded. However, I would use the facings if I create the dress version in a double knit because it would look much better with a non-topstitched neckline.

Fabric Used:
Poly knit from GorgeousFabrics. All came from fabric that I used in previous projects.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

To preserve the original pattern, I traced the front, back, and sleeve pieces onto gift wrap tissue paper. It was easy to make any necessary adjustments.

*Omitted the front and back facings

*For my second and third versions, I took in the upper center back seam by 3/4" to eliminate some gaping that I experienced in my first version.

* Removed the added 1/4" at the armscye, or in other words, I did not have to change the armscye of the original pattern.

* Shortened the upper back by making a horizontal fold with a width of 3/4".

*Made my usual 3/4" petite adjustment between the bust and hips.

*Traced a short sleeve pattern piece from the long sleeve pattern piece.

*Staystitched 1/4" from the neckine, folded the edge under at the staystitching and topstitched

*For the third version, I place the front pattern on the fold so as not to break up the big flower.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

After making three of these, still a big YES! It is one of those easy and gratifying things to sew. I definitely recommend this and other Jiffy patterns to sewists at all levels. Jiffy patterns are "easy chic". I confess that what I have been wearing out often are my poly knit tops created from Simplicity or McCall "carefree" (anyone remember?) patterns from the 1970's. The simple style of a deep (but not too deep) scoop neck with some shaping at the sides work best with my figure and just a change of fabric can significantly alter the personality of the garment.

Conclusion:

I have been usually successful with patterns from the 1970's. With little or no alterations, I have been very fortunate to have something that fits BETTER than current RTW. Suppose I have 10 garments to try on in department store dressing room. I would be lucky to have ONE that fits decently. I have better luck fitting into something I sewed straight from the pattern envelope...

I cannot wait to sew the dress version!

More details of my tainted UFO in my blog

Heatherrique said... (8/23/15 2:30 PM) Reply
Thank you!
MNBarb said... (8/20/15 1:39 PM) Reply
Looks like you've found the perfect TNT pattern!
carolynw said... (8/19/15 2:16 PM) Reply
Love everyone one of them! Isn't it nice to have a pattern you can use so often and always with lovely results?
Sue Parrott said... (8/18/15 9:06 PM) Reply
Love all the tops!
sewrecycler said... (8/18/15 5:45 AM) Reply
Lovely tops that fit so well. I like the neckline too. It's the perfect size.
kikismama said... (8/18/15 2:22 AM) Reply
I loved Jiffy patterns back when I was learning to sew in the 1970's and am glad to see some coming back. But now it is easier to find luscious fabrics. Maybe Simplicity will offer this pattern again.
Bert62 said... (11/27/10 12:19 PM) Reply
Super cute. Nice job. Whether intentional or not the one with the mandalas all over is very figure enhancing/slimming - but, they both look great and flatter. Bert
QuiltersFan said... (3/7/10 10:28 PM) Reply
Great tops. Love the neckline.
busymomof3 said... (3/7/10 12:43 PM) Reply
Wow! These look great on you and the fabrics change the look of each one. If I had to pic a fav, it would be the last. They all are great though.
ryan's mom said... (3/6/10 7:56 PM) Reply
3 super versions! All look terrific on you.
marjenann said... (3/6/10 5:08 PM) Reply
Tryly gorgeous on you!!! In your next life, I am thinking designer!!!
ryansmumAria said... (3/6/10 5:02 PM) Reply
That neckline is very flattering and slimming. Looks great on you As for neckline bands, I would suggest you do an internet search as you will find step by step instructions on various techniques. I use a coverstitch to do this to get a very professional looking band but before I had it, I would do the "Threads" technique. Just go to Threads mag and look it up. It's a video format and you'll learn alot.
becca a said... (3/6/10 1:30 PM) Reply
Three great tops! It is always interesting to see how different the same pattern can be with different fabric. I particularly like the third version.
kwpanthermom said... (3/6/10 1:17 PM) Reply
I made this pattern in '73 or '74 for a friend and I loved it! I made the long version, just like the picture, for her to wear to a high school winter dance. Your choice of prints is fantastic, very retro yet modern at the same time. The skirt of the dress pattern flares beautifully, so try it in a dress length too!
Leslie Bonner said... (3/6/10 12:59 PM) Reply
Lovely tops and look wonderful in you!
carolynw said... (3/6/10 12:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful tops
Heatherrique said... (3/6/10 12:02 PM) Reply
Thanks for the feedback! I'm thinking of adding a narrow neckband for a smoother finish. What's the best method?
FreyaStark said... (3/5/10 4:16 PM) Reply
Three wonderfully wild and snazzy tops.
fryman said... (3/5/10 9:37 AM) Reply
Your top is lovely, fabric is great and it looks terrific on you. A suggestion only and that is, the next time you make this up, using a print fabric, would you consider placing the front bodice on the fold? I think its worth a try, especially on prints. Regardless, you are lucky to have found a pattern which really likes you. Go Girl!!
susiestitcher said... (3/5/10 7:33 AM) Reply
I really love your fabric choices. The long sleeve blue one is my favorite. This style looks great on you. I have many of these Jiffy patterns in my storage boxes. Maybe I should look at them again. Great job on salvaging your UFO dress, too.
mhk3boys said... (3/4/10 11:47 AM) Reply
All of your tops look so good! I love the name of "petallica"!
Catbird said... (3/4/10 9:13 AM) Reply
You've found a winner here! This pattern can be used over and over and will look fresh as you showcase different fabric 'personalities.' These are all very flattering on you!
knitmachinequeen said... (3/4/10 8:23 AM) Reply
All three tops are fabulous.
marjenann said... (3/4/10 7:59 AM) Reply
What a flattering top!! The fit is fabulous and the colors are jut perfect!! Lovely!!
Terri A said... (3/4/10 2:20 AM) Reply
Retro chic! Very cool!
paulakiss said... (3/4/10 1:32 AM) Reply
I love that pattern! Your blouses are gorgeous. Pretty fabric choices too!
QuiltSewSewSue said... (3/4/10 1:00 AM) Reply
your tops look a lovely fit on you and I particularly like the purple print fabric.
michalklimer said... (3/4/10 0:40 AM) Reply
it is so great! the fit is great, the fabrics, ad it really looks good on you!
Barbara V said... (3/4/10 0:19 AM) Reply
Wonderful fit and great fabrics on all three tops. Way to go on eliminating the UFO and de-stashing!
AnneMarie60 said... (3/3/10 10:19 PM) Reply
Gorgeous fabrics and very flattering design. A great save from your unfortunate dress project. Surely three stellar successes blur one minor disappointment!
Christas said... (3/3/10 10:00 PM) Reply
What a great ending to your bad experience with the UFO! All three tops are so pretty on you!
renren said... (3/3/10 9:04 PM) Reply
Each of the three tops is perfect for you. I especially love the neckline and shaping in the sides.
ryan's mom said... (3/3/10 8:30 PM) Reply
Fantastic! You look terrific in this.

More Knits