Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 2929 (Bellville Sassoon Gown)

Reviewed by:noodlesew

About noodlesewstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 1/18/10
Posted on:3/29/10 3:17 AM
Last Updated:3/29/10 6:18 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 30 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
Evilmissf said... (6/20/12 6:34 PM) Reply
after reading this review i now know im not going mad, there's a few places where the dots are misplaced especially on the skirt lining, I've spent hours on this dress only to find the skirt lining doesn't line up properly, after reading this review, now I know why. If anyone else asks me to do a vogue pattern I think I'm gonna have to refuse next time lol x thanks for putting me right x Your dress looks absolutely fabulous, hope mine looks as good as yours x
AlaskaJean said... (12/2/11 5:02 PM) Reply
Wow! and thanks for all the specific comments! I am currently struggling with my muslins. I just thought htis morning that there was no reason for the lining to be exactly like the dress and you confirmed that. Thanks,
arianamaniacs said... (10/19/11 11:26 AM) Reply
Wow, that's normally the colors I would pass by in the fabric store, but the combination is outstanding in this dress! Beautiful!
Duchessdesigns said... (4/3/11 6:17 PM) Reply
Making this dress for my daughter's senior prom, Thanks for all the tips
slmstyle said... (10/13/10 7:41 PM) Reply
Just beautiful! Thanks so much for the detailed review. I am thinking about making this dress for my wedding dress, but I am not an advanced sewer and all the bias cutting, bodice construction and seaming make me a little nervous. However, thanks to all of your details and great photos and fantastic results, maybe I'll just go for it and make it, at least in muslin first. I am going to take SusiM's great idea to print out your review and attach it to the pattern envelope. Thanks so much!
SoVintage said... (5/31/10 10:59 PM) Reply
Breathtaking!
sfgb said... (5/8/10 8:54 PM) Reply
Stunning. Incredible color.
noodlesew said... (4/2/10 11:54 PM) Reply
Thanks for the thumbs up on the dress and the tip on pressing at the dry cleaners. When pressing, I used a damp hanky, and wished I had underline to prevent the seams showing. Just couldn't press much more in case the Spandex loses the stretch. There's plenty of room for improvement, such as a more comfortable bustier, something I'm not used to wearing. It's worth the effort for a designer dress like this, which I made over 4 weekends. It costs a fortune to buy an equivalent, poorly fitted garment. I still have a long way to go to get the beautiful fit that I see in projects reviewed by the talented sewers in this website. Once I got over the fear of botching up an "Advanced" pattern, the sewing was really straightforward. Most time was spent putting together the tracing vilene toile, without which I would not have sorted out the placement of seams and the width adjustments. The occasion I have in mind is a formal evening on board a cruise.
Rickella said... (4/1/10 2:07 PM) Reply
Wow! Gorgeous! Nicely done.
CynthiaSue said... (3/31/10 2:24 AM) Reply
color and workmanship are just superb. you are a very talented seamstress.
Sheila457 said... (3/30/10 9:53 PM) Reply
Absolutely STUNNING!
Lynn67 said... (3/30/10 5:54 PM) Reply
Yes, can we get a pic of you in the dress? It's stunning!
Bunsnpigs said... (3/30/10 10:39 AM) Reply
Speechless. Please post a pic of you in it. That would be lovely!
kerrynw said... (3/30/10 9:13 AM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous dress! Fantastic review with lots of detail, thank you.
Woolygal said... (3/30/10 8:16 AM) Reply
Absolutely exquisite.
SusiM said... (3/30/10 0:20 AM) Reply
Bravo!! I'm printing out your review and stapling it to the pattern envelope. It will sure help when I make this for my daughter. Thank you, thank you for your very helpful review! Your dress is beautiful!
dingyadi said... (3/30/10 0:19 AM) Reply
Utterly beautiful!
fattyboomboom said... (3/29/10 11:02 PM) Reply
Standing ovation!!!
pammieh said... (3/29/10 10:47 PM) Reply
Wow! The design details on that blouse are fantastic - I can't imagine being able to construct something that beautiful.
Annette1 said... (3/29/10 9:39 PM) Reply
What a joy it is to look at all these pictures and get to see UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL the construction of this FABULOUS dress. You did a WONDERFUL job! :o)
fourkid said... (3/29/10 9:19 PM) Reply
This is all way beyond me - I just see the end results and they are fantastic. Very beautiful.
Elona said... (3/29/10 8:13 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous, gorgeous dress! You should be hugely proud of your exquisite work. And thanks so much for all the photos of the work in progress. This should embolden all who wish to make a couturier gown.
Laurie Lou said... (3/29/10 5:27 PM) Reply
Breath-taking!!!
rozzybabe said... (3/29/10 2:39 PM) Reply
Thanks for great pictures & such detail in areas of construction, especially where Vogue made some errors. The dress looks fantastic. I've a friend who has the right figure for this style, & after reading your review I will make it for her sometime this year. You certainly can move your sewing level up to advanced now!! Thanks again for all the information.
ggf2005 said... (3/29/10 1:49 PM) Reply
great job. the thing i love about vogue patterns is the level of detail provided in the instructions which is so much better than not enough detail
cindyann said... (3/29/10 1:20 PM) Reply
Oh man, that's looking just wonderful!
senaSews said... (3/29/10 1:12 PM) Reply
Stunning dress. Wow! And great workmanship, too!
cdi9c said... (3/29/10 12:07 PM) Reply
Just fabulous! And can I tell you how blown away I am by the utter invisibility of your invisible zipper? WOW!
Opals Passions said... (3/29/10 11:41 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress... You did a fabulous job...
squirrellypoo said... (3/29/10 11:18 AM) Reply
HOLY COW! This dress is a total knockout! Please tell us the occasion! And I love that this pattern includes the internal bustier support - I think that's worth the cost alone, as you could use that again and again for any strapless gown.
RadarRadiance said... (3/29/10 11:01 AM) Reply
It is beautiful! ...need I say more! Great review.
carolynw said... (3/29/10 10:32 AM) Reply
This is gorgeous - really, really gorgeous!!
DOMESTICATEDMENNONITE said... (3/29/10 9:34 AM) Reply
Love it. I used to work in a fabric store and some of the local ladies who stay home and sew wedding gowns, coats, etc, told me that they take hard to iron items to a dry cleaners. If you're still concerned about the final look.....
sunny74 said... (3/29/10 9:13 AM) Reply
Amazing! It looks so expensive. I can't believe you made this with $2/metre fabric.
Sic said... (3/29/10 8:05 AM) Reply
Stunning! Beautiful work!
DaisyEsq said... (3/29/10 6:52 AM) Reply
Amazing! Great review of making this gown.
QuiltSewSewSue said... (3/29/10 4:55 AM) Reply
Stunning!
janella said... (3/22/10 12:35 PM) Reply
Thanks for such a great review - the pictures look great too.
waltzqueen said... (3/3/10 11:17 AM) Reply
Gorgeous fabric, gorgeous dress!! I can't wait to see it on you!!
E.J.W. said... (3/2/10 7:37 AM) Reply
That colour is beautiful and it all looks to be coming together wonderfully, It will look stunning!
lamstu said... (2/26/10 10:04 PM) Reply
LOVE the dress. Using the reverse sides of the fabric was inspired! (I wish it wasn't strapless - those days are way behind me.)
camaro1952 said... (2/26/10 12:33 PM) Reply
WOW!!!
Elona said... (2/26/10 11:36 AM) Reply
Your dress is going to be stunning (heck, it already is!), and I bet you are going to want to make it up in a drop-dead silk the next time!
LynnG said... (2/26/10 10:14 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. You are doing a great job.
RadarRadiance said... (2/26/10 9:54 AM) Reply
Oh...this looks absolutely beautiful!!! I am anxious to see it done and being modeled! Some of these Vogue patterns are so much work but what a learning curve in the process. Yours looks exceptional.
Bonnie123 said... (2/26/10 9:27 AM) Reply
This dress is simply fabulous. I especially love the color. I think it served you well to read and reread the instructions prior to sewing. Great job!

Jackets for Real People DVD