Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 4712 (vintage mens shirt pattern)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:3/3/10 5:20 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 7 people
Hilary said... (8/14/12 6:38 PM) Reply
Oooh, I just bought this pattern at my favorite local thrift store for a quarter, uncut :D and was hoping to see a review-and lo and behold I found TWO, yah! Your shirt looks great and suits you well. Great review!
eugenia123 said... (3/4/10 11:12 AM) Reply
Wow Peter - great job. You are looking super cool and casual in this fab terry cloth number. Bring on that warm weather!
Nancy K said... (3/4/10 8:05 AM) Reply
Very nice for your first polo out of such thick fabric. You can use fusible interfacing on knit hems to stabilize them and it usually will stop the rolling. The other suggestion is to cut a deeper hem which is a little easier to control.
paulakiss said... (3/4/10 1:44 AM) Reply
Peter, that hirt rocks! I never would've thought you could make terry cloth cool! I think the sleeves look good as is. The fabric looks soft and cuddly; I know cuddly isn't what you were going for. lol. Great job!
TracyB said... (3/3/10 9:34 PM) Reply
Really nice shirt, Peter.
FreyaStark said... (3/3/10 3:53 PM) Reply
Very nice. It's a good basic pattern that should become a favourite.
Rhoda K said... (3/3/10 3:03 PM) Reply
Well done - the shirt looks very nice on you and Michael.
Peter in NYC said... (3/3/10 2:17 PM) Reply
Thanks, everybody. Thirteen Stitches, that's a great idea!
thirteenstitches said... (3/3/10 1:36 PM) Reply
Nice shirt. I love the color. You could cut a bias strip of fabric 2 or 3 inches wide the length of the sleeve, stitch it into a tube/band and then fold it wrong sides together and add it to the bottom of your sleeve. You could then topstitch the seam to make it lay flat. I think that might be a nice finish for it. In any case nicely done.
ryan's mom said... (3/3/10 1:30 PM) Reply
It's a great shirt! I'll have to look for this style in the pattern books because it's perfect for our school's dress code for my boys. Different fabrics can really change the look with a pattern like this. Thanks for the review!
RLL said... (3/3/10 10:27 AM) Reply
Beautiful job with the tough fabric. Gorgeous color.
neufy said... (3/3/10 10:02 AM) Reply
Love your reviews Peter. I watch for them
mollyshark said... (3/3/10 8:45 AM) Reply
Wow..I inherited a huge patch of Vera tablecloth fabric from an aunt who used to do a lot of home dec sewing (and at 92 has finally decided to give it up). Shorts might be perfect for it. The classic Vera large tulip design. Oh, and nice shirt, btw! LOL.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/3/10 8:05 AM) Reply
Great looking shirt with a great fit. I was hesitant at first when you said you were making it from terry cloth, but it looks terrific!
mssewcrazy said... (3/3/10 8:02 AM) Reply
That is a nice shirt and I love the colors in it and the tablecloth fabric - should make a neat spring set. Since you didn't have as much trouble with the hem in the future I would add enough length to the sleeve for a topstitched hem like the body of the shirt and use a tiny zigzag or a double needle for the stitching. You might try some tissue paper underneath to stabilize as you stitch. It comes in colored packs also if the little fragments left behind from tearing away bother you. You can also buy stabilizer made for machine embroidery that you might like that dissolves in water. You can cut strips to put on places where the stitching is a problem.
Ripple Dandelion said... (3/3/10 7:38 AM) Reply
I wouldn't have thought a nice collar and placket was possible in that thick terry, but you pulled it off! Very interesting that the Spartan trumped the ZZ machine.
voet said... (3/3/10 6:59 AM) Reply
Another fine effort. You have the perfect body for vintage patterns. Actually, your serger would help tame the curly edge of your sleeve. You might have to play with the variable feed to get it right. Also, you could use some interfacing if it is really uncooperative. I once used some organza ribbon on a stretchy knight. I found it in a narrow width (I think it was 1/4 inch.) I first sewed the ribbon on with a straight stitch and then serged it.
voet said... (3/3/10 6:59 AM) Reply
Michele19 said... (3/3/10 6:39 AM) Reply
The shirt looks great on both of you and I can't wait to see the shorts.

BurdaStyle Magazine 02-2015-107