Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 4139 (Glinda-Wizard of Oz Costumes)

Reviewed by:SewPoco

About SewPocostar
BC CANADA
Member since: 3/11/10
Posted on:3/18/10 11:31 PM
Last Updated:3/29/10 12:15 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 10 people
See other patterns in this category: Costumes

Other Projects by SewPoco using this Pattern

highCsoprano said... (10/31/13 10:42 PM) Reply
Great job! I made the dress myself before looking it up here, and I made some of the same changes you did--esp. the crown with 5 points. I made my crown out of stencil blanks (3-pack from JoAnn, pieced together with double-sided tape), decorated it with glitter-glue rays, assorted rhinestones, sequin trim, and a sponge-painted layer of iridescent crystal-glitter paint. I love your idea of stuffing the sleeve puffs and wish I'd thought of it! I also ditched the appliques from the pattern--too big and ugly. I did glitter-glue stars all over the tulle instead. Wish I'd gone ahead with extra tulle, as I'd toyed with way back when we first considered the costume, but I forgot by the time I bought fabric. Looks fabulous with the extra! By the way, the pattern sizing works well for northern Halloweens--my daughter was able to wear a sweater, my old wedding crinoline hiked up to her armpits, and a long-sleeved pink tee under the dress. For once she was warm enough without a coat!
heemee said... (3/6/12 8:45 AM) Reply
I made this costume for my step-daughter and yours looks much nicer. I had a day or so to make mine, (that's what happens when you put things off). I know what you mean about the crown. The four prongs bugged me too, even though I forced myself to do it that way.
dorothyn said... (10/25/11 6:19 AM) Reply
I just stumbled on this. I LOVE the Wizard of Oz. What a lucky, lucky little girl to have such a magnificent Halloween costume. Beautiful job!
oldcarz said... (10/5/11 4:48 PM) Reply
I am working on this pattern currently and am having trouble finding materials for the crown. It calls for acetate? You said you used plastic sheeting with organza overlay? What thickness sheeting and where did you buy it from? Also, how did you attach the organza? Glue? Thanks!
reaton said... (4/3/10 10:40 AM) Reply
Your dress is amazing. I love love love it! You have inspired me to create one for next halloween.
melaniejade31 said... (3/29/10 9:34 PM) Reply
how cute!!!!!
Izzie said... (3/29/10 12:58 PM) Reply
Fantastic dress! You did a wonderful job on this and all your changes really make it special. What a lucky daughter!
Trephas2003 said... (3/22/10 9:44 AM) Reply
It looks cute!
RadarRadiance said... (3/19/10 4:17 PM) Reply
Beautiful job and beautiful daughter. The dress and crown are amazing!!!
fourkid said... (3/19/10 12:52 PM) Reply
This is soooo cute - it looks amazing. Congratulations on your first review!
Mirakel said... (3/19/10 12:02 PM) Reply
Wow, amazing! I like the changes that you made and your daughter looks adorable! Great job!!
pterion said... (3/19/10 11:42 AM) Reply
Your little Glinda looks PERFECT! Great work, nice review, and the pattern looks like a winner.
mhk3boys said... (3/19/10 8:39 AM) Reply
Your costume is so pretty! You did an awesome job!
Ronda Rae said... (3/19/10 6:27 AM) Reply
Amazing! Your attention to detail was right on the mark! Wonderful review. Beautiful little girl.
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/19/10 4:54 AM) Reply
The most beautiful children's costume I've ever seen (and I made them). Maybe you should be working for Simplicity! Your good little witch is just beautiful. She will be the envy of all her friends and I'll bet all the mothers will want you to make one for their kids. Too bad!
arianamaniacs said... (3/19/10 4:19 AM) Reply
wow, your daughter is very lucky!
paulakiss said... (3/19/10 2:10 AM) Reply
What a beautiful job you did! Her costume looks amazing! I love the handsewn details. So pretty.
SewSho said... (3/18/10 11:47 PM) Reply
Amazing dress!! She looks a dream! My DD's Bday is coming up so I've been looking at these types of pattern, gr8 review thanks!

J Stern Designs Khaki Pants Pattern