Online Sewing Class: Fun with Fitting - PANTS

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5391

Review submitted in Fabric Stash Contest 2015 Contest
Reviewed by:Rosie who use to be Rose

About Rosie who use to be Rosestarstar

Pattern Photo:Butterick 5391
Butterick Pattern Info
Pattern Rating:Great Wardrobe Builder
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 1 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
Fabric:Linen Blend  [See other projects in this fabric]
I made this pattern again in a black linen blend that I bought thirteen years (?) ago from Fashion Fabrics for the Fabric Stash Contest. I think the fabric would have continued to rest on the shelf if I hadn't entered the contest. The pants took 2 yards to make taking my stash total from 2456.5 to 2454.5.

Pattern Description: Misses'/Misses' Petite skirt and pants. Includes tapered, mid-knee length skirt, skinny leg, wide, boot-cut or straight-legged pants.

Pattern Sizing:The sizing for this pattern comes in 8-14, and 16-24, I wear 14 in the hips and a 16 in the waist, all they had at the store was the 16-24 so thats what I bought.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, they looked like the straight leg pants in the picture on the envelope except that I added pockets.

Were the instructions easy to follow?Very easy to follow instructions. I especially liked the way they put in the zipper.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the way these pants fit. I had to take them up in the hip a little, but that was a given because I had bought a size too big, but these pants hang straight from the hip just the way I like them. They also went together very easily..

Fabric Used:
I made them from some green denim that I bought about six years ago.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I made the hips smaller and lengthened the legs.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I'll sew it again. I plan to use this for my non-stretch fabric pants pattern. I would certainly recommend it to someone else.

Conclusion: A great casual pair of pants.

The picture at the top is another pair that I made out of linen.
katlew03 said... (7/1/15 0:32 AM) Reply
Finally, someone who has more fabric in their stash than I do. I wish this pattern were available in my size. Your pants look like they fit great.
mssewcrazy said... (3/31/10 9:35 PM) Reply
This sounds like a great pattern for woven pants weight fabric. I really need a pattern like this to use some of my non stretch wovens-will have to pick it up. How nice that you have found one you like to make up some.

by: petro