6 Jul 2013 I cut this out sometime in 2009. This was a modification in that I lengthened it by about 8 inches to make lounge-wear out of a rayon jacquard. The print is a bit dated.
It sat for 4+ years because I stopped sewing for ~3 years. I've started sewing again in the last year and decided to enter the UFO contest in order to attempt to finish some older items.
This is an easy sew. I've made so many silk nighties from it in the past I don't even look at the directions. I sewed up the side seams and shoulder seams. Used the edge finish on my machine for the neck, arm and hems. Then did my normal baste at 3/8" around all the hems in a bright pink thread. Last turn under at the baste line, and hem everything and pull the basting thread. The neck is a bit fiddly because the fabric has no stretch so it has to be forced a bit. Took about an hour in all.
I like to be comfortable in the evenings and this is loose and comfortable so will likely make a few more of these over time as I try to sew up some of the dated prints in my stash.
Wanted to note, that I round the front neckline because I don't add lace. I used a small fiestaware bowl to trace the rounded part.
I was looking for a pattern similar to these V-neck nightshirts at Nordstrom made from cotton jersey knit:
I have a couple of the above nightshirts and find them quite comfortable. This pattern was as close as I could find.
I made View B with some modifications. I didn't want the lace the pattern calls for so I just omitted it. At the V of the neck I stitched at the 1/4" mark with a 1mm stitch length for reinforcement, then snipped to the stitchline and turned the entire neckline under 1/4" and topstitched. The neck opening is a little bit too big for me but that is due to the lack of lace. I will make this again and probaby round the vee a bit to avoid the snipping and possible fraying with some fabrics.
The fit is quite good though the length is a few inches longer than the pattern envelope shows (I'm only 5'3") but I prefer the longer length. I chose the size small based on my measurements with no alterations. I used some of my silk crepe de chine/lycra from one of the Michaels Fabrics silk bundles so it also feels nice to wear. I'll be making more of these from the other silks I have.
For the most part, the pattern instructions were easy to follow, however I think the instructions for attaching the lace might be difficult for a beginning sewer.