Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5402 (Connie Crawford Jeans Jacket)

Reviewed by:jannw

About jannwstarstarstarstar
WA USA
Member since: 9/3/06
Posted on:3/25/10 6:36 PM
Last Updated:3/25/10 6:40 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Margaret said... (3/27/10 11:08 AM) Reply
Sorry this didn't work out. About the back yoke length -- maybe the pattern's meant to have really forward shoulder seams? (i.e. if you lined up the hemlines and flattened the jacket out upward, would the shoulder seams move forward? 3" seems like an awful lot, though.) It's odd how extended the shoulder is; I usually find that goes along with a loose body and sleeves, and it doesn't sound like this pattern has those. It might be fixable by copying the shoulder width from another pattern, but then the sleeve cap might have to be changed too. It's really disappointing the pattern doesn't match any of the drawings. :( If you do decide to work on this further, I hope it goes well! The design details do look very nice.
Mc Donna said... (3/27/10 0:03 AM) Reply
Sorry, this didn't work out for you. I'll be rethinking this one on my shopping list for sure. Maybe you can work something out with the yoke as you mentioned, and then change the sleeve head to match, as well as fixing the width to suit you. Good luck!
jannw said... (3/26/10 9:30 AM) Reply
To Jillnjosh..I'm not sure about that..it may be beyond my skill level. The extra space is in the back yoke. After that seam, the back princess seams are ok. I've thought about recutting the yoke or adding a horizontal dart there. I'll have to experiment.
jannw said... (3/26/10 8:26 AM) Reply
I have taken Renren's advice and written to Butterick regarding the shoulder size and amount of space in the back shoulder area. I will update when I receive an answer.
jillnjosh said... (3/26/10 8:18 AM) Reply
Jann - is it possible that all of that room in the armscye is a dart that was rotated there? Would it be possible, by dart manipulation, to add another seam to the outside of the princess and rotate the dart into that seamline? Just a thought.
renren said... (3/25/10 7:48 PM) Reply
Looks like you are off to a good start. Why don't you email Butterick or C, Crawford and ask if there could be an error in printing. Remember we have seen errors with patterns from Sandra Betzina and Marcy Tilton with Vogue. Maybe these special pattern designers don't have a perfect interface with the Big 4 pattern companies--something gets lost in translation. Good luck salvaging the sleeves on this muslin. Will be awaiting . . . the rest of the story.
katlew03 said... (3/25/10 7:40 PM) Reply
Hey Jan, thanks for the information. I just bought this pattern last month and it was on my short list. I will check out all the things you mentioned before cutting and probably do a muslin. And here I was hoping it would be an easy fit.

Full Bust DVD