Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2621 (16th C Corset)

Reviewed by:dfr2010

About dfr2010star
Member since: 3/27/10
Posted on:3/27/10 12:21 PM
Last Updated:4/8/10 1:58 PM
See other patterns in this category: Costumes    Lingerie

Other Projects by dfr2010 using this Pattern

guillorypr said... (4/20/10 2:52 PM) Reply
I have this pattern, but I was only going to use it for the farthingale and maybe the bum roll, although I already have a pattern for that. On the page you link to, there are very good instructions on making a corset. I have made a pretty good mockup of it. :)
dfr2010 said... (4/10/10 7:00 AM) Reply
MCBurbage - First, this corset was made on a machine, rendering the "Is it period?" question completely moot for this garment ... that said, there was a an art trend from around 1560-1590 where artists sketched and painted the "common folks" and those sketches and paintings show the lower classes having front laced corsets. As for the present ... front lacing is period for anyone who doesn't have a dressing servant LOL. My hubby is very hesitant to touch the back lacing so I dress myself. Re: tabs, yes that is part of what functional tabs do along with supporting the weight of bumroll, farthingale, petticoats, heavy skirts ... but the Simplicity pattern tabs don't look like they will do that IMO. If you look at the original corset worn by Queen Elizabeth I those were boned tabs that were cut as part of the corset body ... that's my idea of functional tabs. I have seen examples of extant period corsets that left the tabs off as well, so it could have been a matter of personal preference or one of economics as I imagine the boned tabs were pricier. (edited to try to sound less confrontational)
MCBurbage said... (4/9/10 5:29 AM) Reply
For what it's worth, I think the point of the tabs is to help the skirt stand out a little at the waist. I don't know how well that actually works, but that's what I've read in a couple of books and most of the pictures I've seen do have tabs. Of course, someone else might be able to reference pictures without tabs. Is front-lacing correct for this period?
dfr2010 said... (4/8/10 10:16 PM) Reply
Just to reiterate ... the cord idea isn't mine. I would love to shake her hand, as comfortable as it is!
Sandi S said... (4/8/10 9:42 PM) Reply
Wow - great idea about the cording as boning
2mulie said... (4/7/10 9:59 AM) Reply
Never thought of using cording instead of boning, how clever! Thanks for the tip!
Margaret said... (4/6/10 7:15 PM) Reply
Looks great! I like all the eyelets too. The article on cording was very interesting -- thanks for linking. I have a couple of Past Patterns early 19th century corset patterns that look like they could be corded similarly.
renren said... (4/5/10 0:09 AM) Reply
I actually have a Sandra Betzina pattern in mind which I think the hemp cord will work for so thanks for that info! Love all those perfectly aligned rivets--I would say the alignment either makes or breaks the corset and you've done just a fabulous job. I bet the more rivets you have installed on a garment like this the pressure to do the next one perfectly mounts. Will definitely be watching as the project progresses.
jannw said... (4/4/10 4:44 PM) Reply
an interesting project..theylook great and I will look forward to seeing the entire outfit. thanx for the links..
dfr2010 said... (4/4/10 3:52 PM) Reply
Michele, it actually *is* comfortable ... gives me a lot of back support and eliminates bouncing in front. Both take pressure off my bad back. ;-) Plus I'll need it for my Elizabethan outfit ...
Mary Reed said... (4/4/10 3:39 PM) Reply
excellent review, thank you.
Michele Lommasson said... (4/4/10 3:30 PM) Reply
Well, it doesn't look at all comfortable! It does look great. I enjoyed the article on using cording instead of boning. What a neat thing. It looks like a great technique for modern applications. Thanks!
dfr2010 said... (4/4/10 12:07 PM) Reply
The pic was v1.0 (blue) and the larger pic was fuzzy as well. Once the sun moves I'll put up the new pic (v2.1 is cream and beige - so folks can keep track!). Standby ... ETA: WOOHOOO! I figured out how to link the thumbnail to the bigger pic! V2.1 pic is posted!
Elona said... (4/4/10 11:48 AM) Reply
In the tiny photo, it looks like a pretty bodice, but the image is so small that no details are visible. Could you make the image clickable so it can be enlarged?
Trephas2003 said... (3/27/10 5:16 PM) Reply