Online Sewing Class: Restyling with Exposed Zippers
In this video, you learn how to:
  • Use some of the basic tools
  • Choose fabric
  • Use patterns
  • Measure yourself for patterns
  • Trace and cut out the pattern
  • Lay out and cut out the pattern from fabric
  • Stitch together and press your skirt
You'll also learn about sewing machine features and pattern language and symbols.

Let Deepika demystify the process of sewing for you! Take this class!

Complete List of Videos

1. Introduction and Tools
  2. Fabric Types
  3. What the Information on the Pattern Envelope Means
  4. Types of Patterns and What the Markings Mean
  5. Taking Body Measurements
  6. Tracing the Patterns and Understanding Markings
  7. Preparing the Fabric, Laying Out the Pattern Pieces, and Cutting Out the Fabric
  8. Getting to Know your Sewing Machine
  9. Sewing the Skirt
">Sewing Basics Online Sewing Class

Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6866 (Misses Dress)

Reviewed by:renren

About renrenstarstarstarstar
Member since: 7/20/05
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:3/28/10 3:55 AM
Last Updated:3/28/10 4:39 AM

renren said... (3/29/10 9:41 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone for your comments--they are so very much appreciated!!! @jgmafpw, I used 4 mil plastic which I bought at Home Depot in the paint department. You can see through it, write on it with Sharpies, and as I did overlay the actual pattern for modifications. I actually read about it here at PR. Some people use it to trace off Burda World of Fashion patterns, and that is how I heard about it. The only drawback to it is it doesn't drape really well. However, there is another product Karla Kizer mentions--something to do with sewer/septic applications--which I have not been able to find that she prefers. If you would like to see how 4 mil plastic is used to copy Burda WOF patterns, I describe how I did it in the last paragraph of this review: http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-bin/readreview.pl?readreview=1&reviewnum=40599
jgmafpw said... (3/29/10 9:02 AM) Reply
excellent review! I've attended classes at FIT and other schools and this is one of the best explanation's I have seen. Question, what did you use for your see thru "pattern muslin"?
FreyaStark said... (3/29/10 3:06 AM) Reply
A nice dress, Renren. Your efforts and persistence have paid off. Drawing a box around the darts and shifting it downwards is a good idea; I must try it next time. (I've just manipulated the dart with my fingers to move the apex downwards rather than altering the tissue.)
TracyB said... (3/29/10 1:40 AM) Reply
Very well written review with the best pictorial explanation of the FBA I've ever seen.
AuntieShel said... (3/28/10 7:30 PM) Reply
Great looking dress, love the fabric. Great work on the alterations.
katlew03 said... (3/28/10 2:40 PM) Reply
Your dress looks great. This pattern is on my short list. Yours looks so comfortable and perfect for warm weather. You did a great job and now have a TNT dress pattern.
jannw said... (3/28/10 1:56 PM) Reply
Great review and a very good look for you..I'm so glad the darts worked correctly...
Barbara V said... (3/28/10 11:11 AM) Reply
You have created a wonderful dress with all of your detailed alterations. It looks like you have the bust adjustments mastered. Very nice work. Your dress looks nice on you and I bet you will really enjoy wearing it!
newmama said... (3/28/10 7:31 AM) Reply
Thank you for all FBA/dart change photos! Your descriptions/pictures for each step make it look so easy! I have yet to need one, but then again I have made two tops for myself and they are both knits :)

by: FreyaStark