Pattern Reviews> Jalie> 2107 (Pants and Shorts)

Reviewed by:ClaireEmily

About ClaireEmilystarstarstar
WA United States
Member since: 9/28/08
Posted on:4/19/10 6:06 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular
Fluffy bunny said... (9/27/10 4:24 PM) Reply
These are great pants! I used to mend my ex-DB's cargos (he is a make do and mend freak), and stitching through four layers of heavy fabric used to make my poor machine groan! So...very well done! They look RTW, and at least you thought of easing the pain of sweatshop workers. Oh...and your review made me laugh..a lot.
becca a said... (4/20/10 4:57 PM) Reply
Great pants! Cargo pants do have a lot of tedious details, but kudos to you for finishing them.
susiestitcher said... (4/20/10 7:07 AM) Reply
Great pants! You've inspired me to get going on the pants my DS wants. He enjoys cargo pants so this pattern might be a good choice.
treefrog said... (4/20/10 4:40 AM) Reply
Luv the review, especially the initial thought about not wearing clothes made in a sweatshop - well one in China at least! The pants look great - well worth the effort.
Sharonspils said... (4/20/10 0:46 AM) Reply
Love your post and thank you for the informative review. I also haven't sewn for DH but I keep getting the feeling that I might LOL.
Peter in NYC said... (4/19/10 11:01 PM) Reply
Great job, despite the challenges. Yes, men's clothes can be tedious!
marec said... (4/19/10 5:45 PM) Reply
This made both my DH and I smile. He's been agitating for some home done cargo pants and I was able to read your conclusion to him. hee hee Congrats on getting through and thank you for all the corrections! (as if I would EVER make them)
RLL said... (4/19/10 5:16 PM) Reply
These look great, you did such a nice job. I know what you mean about all the topstitching and how long it takes. I sew all of my DH's work clothes...casual dress and he actually really appreciates it. And, better yet, he doesn't complain about my huge stash anymore since I'v been sewing his clothes. He even shops with me sometimes to pick out fabric for him. Happy Dance.
Mary Nanna said... (4/19/10 2:50 PM) Reply
very amusing indeed. I commend you for making something for DH. I never sew for mine, except to shorten his trousers which he has purchased elsewhere ... and even that can take me forever unless I barter some kind of treat for myself out of it.
lynne1nor said... (4/19/10 10:53 AM) Reply
That is funny! My DH would love for me to sew him up some pants, too, particularly something called tactical pants with a double layer of fabric in the seat and knees and special pockets and special fabric and... you get the picture. So hooray for you to give it a try - now you have a pattern you can use in "emergencies" and let's hope our DHs can find an inexpensive source for their favorite pants so we can get back to sewing crazy stuff for ourselves! :) Nice job!
ClaireEmily said... (4/19/10 8:16 AM) Reply
FreyaStark - you are so right about not appreciating it until you know how much effort it takes! My sister doesn't really understand why I bother to sew and I finally asked her why - she said she doesn't really like clothes and is perfectly happy wearing jeans and a Tshirt all the time, so why would I put so much effort in? Ce la vie!
birdmcfarland said... (4/19/10 7:18 AM) Reply
Fantastic! Despite the tedium, they look great!
FreyaStark said... (4/19/10 6:22 AM) Reply
Hilarious! At least you got useful practice and ended up with a wearable garment. Personally I prefer to buy basic items that would be boring to sew (like straightforward, everyday pants in basic colours) and save my sewing efforts for more interesting projects like shirts and dresses in wild fabrics. Another reason few people seem to sew for their partners could be that men are not as into clothes as women and therefore don't appreciate the effort that goes into making something and also don't get the same kick out of wearing something unique.

HotPatterns 1121