Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5142 (The Perfect Jean)

Reviewed by:Sofia Lu

About Sofia Lu
SWEDEN
Member since: 7/31/02
Posted on:4/28/10 8:45 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 6 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants

Lucy in Virginia said... (5/26/10 3:56 PM) Reply
Beautiful embroidery job on those pockets!
Sofia Lu said... (5/16/10 2:18 AM) Reply
GBK: I'll get back to you.
GBK said... (5/13/10 9:36 AM) Reply
The jeans look fabulous, very professional! This pattern is in my stash and having a swayback and large derriere myself, I'd be interested how you have altered the pattern to address that? MANY THANKS in advance! :-)
ClaireEmily said... (4/28/10 4:57 PM) Reply
Great jeans! I'm sure the next pair will be perfect -but these look pretty good to me! I am currently making these and swapped in the contour waistband in the same size and it approximately fits. I agree that the legs are not a real bootcut!
JMarie1962 said... (4/28/10 12:09 PM) Reply
Your stitching is beautiful! I've made these three times and each time, I've made additional modifications. I do agree that the "boot cut" is not as dramatic as we see in RTW. I plan in giving this pattern one more try and hope to get all the modifications just right. Oh - and so true about the waist band. Skip the straight one all together and only use the contoured band. Oddly, I found that both were longer than needed and did not match up with the appropriate sizing. Great review!
Sofia Lu said... (4/28/10 11:12 AM) Reply
Thank you, all! I know about the wide seam allowance, 1", but they are still too big. Too much ease for my taste. The next pair will be great. I made four muslins before I made this first pair but since the fabrics aren't identical, I ended up with a non-perfect pair och jeans. I didn't use my most expensive denim for this. :-) I believe strongly in the next pair...
lynne1nor said... (4/28/10 11:05 AM) Reply
Very interesting review! Jeans look great! Sounds like the pattern had too much ease (amongst other issues).
Portia Hirschman said... (4/28/10 11:04 AM) Reply
What I discovered "later" about this pattern (I've made it twice) is that the side seams are 1" to accomodate changes. If you don't note this on your tracing, they will be large. That being said, I like straight legs and I've been pleased with this pattern. I used the contour waistband. Your jeans look great!
marec said... (4/28/10 10:59 AM) Reply
Good looking jeans. Isn't it annoying to see such design differences on the envelope? Your next pair will be so much more what you want. Thanks for the review.
homejewel said... (4/28/10 10:25 AM) Reply
Your jeans look great. It's too bad you had to do so much altering to get the look that you thought you were getting. It will only get easier now!

by: 3kids1036