Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8998 (T-Shirt)

Reviewed by:Monica R

See other patterns in this category: Easy to Sew    Tops
Available for sale on PR: $6.71 $8.95 Pattern Details
Available for sale on PR: $6.71 $8.95 Pattern Details
said... (8/3/02 4:06 AM) Reply
Yes Sherril, I did notice this also. I thought that I made a mistake somewhere when I lowered my dart, so I did add to the front on my second top. Also, I also traced a size 16 at arms and neck and went out to a size 20 at side seams (I used a straight 18 on my first top, but got a better fit in the shoulders and neck by combining the sizes on the 2nd top.) When I put the sleeves in, it seemed like the armholes were too low or something in that area was not right. I don't know exactly what it was but when I lift my arms it pulls around the bust/underarm area and is uncomfortable and restricting. You might watch out for this also. I've made 3 tops from this pattern and finally gave up trying to fix it! I also gave up writing reviews because I feel bad that I rated this one as good, and then it turns out with so many flaws.
said... (8/2/02 3:17 AM) Reply
I pin fitted the pattern and I think I found a problem with the pattern tissue. I cut a size 16 except for the side seams, where I used a size 20. I pinned out the dart and found that the front pattern piece no longer fit the back sideseam. The dart shortened it up so that the back hangs longer. If I remove the dart, the front then hangs longer than the back. Did you have any problem with the sideseams not being the same length when you used the dart?
said... (8/1/02 7:51 PM) Reply
Sherril, I don't know if the tricot interfacing on the neck band will allow it to stretch enough to fit the neck hole. You could try it on a scrap first. But I would definitely cut the neck band shorter than the pattern piece given. It buckled out on every top I made no matter what type of fabric and I had to redo the neck band using the formula I gave above in my review. Let us know how your top turns out.
said... (7/31/02 4:25 AM) Reply
I just bought the pattern tonight and plan on making it this week or next. Do you think it would help to fuse tricot interfacing to the neckline band? I have a figure similar to you and plan on making several knit tunic t-shirts to go over Christine Johnson's taper pants. Together they should make a comfortable, but not sloppy outfit to wear in the fall for teaching in.
said... (5/28/02 11:09 PM) Reply
This looks like a wonderful pattern! It is so great to hear about the neckline ribbing suggestion.
said... (5/25/02 10:37 PM) Reply
That's a must have pattern.
said... (5/25/02 10:21 PM) Reply
Thank you for the review. Guess it's time to get this pattern out of my stash and actually SEW it!
said... (5/24/02 9:53 AM) Reply
Thanks for the review. I was attracted to the picture in the Burda catalog, but haven't tried this yet. I like the fact that Burda recognizes the need for darts in their larger sizes-it's a timesaver.
said... (5/24/02 9:07 AM) Reply
Sounds like a good basic pattern to have in our stash!
said... (5/24/02 9:04 AM) Reply
Thank you so much for reviewing this pattern. I had unsuccessful results with a Kwik sew t-shirt pattern and I was looking for a simple tee and here it is! I will have to add this to my evergrowing pattern stash ;-)

You Sew Girl Beauty Case Pattern