Online Sewing Class: Clone Your Favorite Garment

Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5142 (The Perfect Jean)

Reviewed by:ClaireEmily

About ClaireEmilystarstarstar
WA United States
Member since: 9/28/08
Posted on:5/19/10 7:11 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 26 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants

Boho Banjo art to wear

pdf sewing patterns

helenkosings said... (2/26/14 9:13 PM) Reply
They look GREAT!!
CherylStillSews said... (4/20/11 6:57 AM) Reply
Thanks for your review - I'm working on this pattern at the moment and am agreeing with most of your comments - particularly regarding the fact that they aren't bootleg and the amount needed on the back rise. Thanks for the headsup that the contour and regular waistbands are interchangeable - I'm off to swap mine over now.
TanitIsis said... (6/9/10 10:20 AM) Reply
I bet the extra-wide seam on the front inseam (but not the back) is for doing a flat-felled finish to the inseam... but you'd think the instructions would be very clear about that if it's the case. Weird. I'm contemplating trying to add one to my next pair of Jalie jeans, if I get brave... Otherwise, they look good, and OOF! you worked hard on them! Congratulations.
GBK said... (5/22/10 8:13 AM) Reply
Fabulous fitting jeans, and thanks a lot for a detailed and inspiring review! This pattern is in my stash for some time, and with Sophie's and now your review having mastered this pattern with your various alterations, it seems it's really worthwhile the hastle of making this pattern fit ...
Maree P said... (5/20/10 7:22 PM) Reply
Thanks so much Claire for a fabulous review. I think your jeans look great - I love slouchy boyfriend jeans - and your back pockets are just fabulous. You should be as 'pleased as Punch'. You have me thinking about jeans.....
nellc said... (5/20/10 3:40 PM) Reply
Great looking jeans!
Gloria W said... (5/20/10 12:52 PM) Reply
I've owned this pattern for two years and haven't found the nerve to tackle it. Hopefully you have given me the "kick in the pants' I need to get started. ;-)
Lynn67 said... (5/20/10 9:19 AM) Reply
Your jeans look fantastic and you got a great fit after all that work! Your stitching is awesome. I will suggest a pattern that has an entire page devoted to fitting before sewing, and that's the other Vogue jeans by Betzina - I'm blanking on the number. She addresses enlarging ease at the thigh and all kinds of crotch fixes. Congrats on a great pair!
margk said... (5/20/10 5:40 AM) Reply
Claire, Great to see your jeans. Well done!! You have proved that persistence pays off. It was worth all that thread-changing - your topstitching is fab- very professional. Go girl!
lynny said... (5/20/10 1:17 AM) Reply
Great looking jeans and a very detailed and well written review thanks.
KarenJeanette said... (5/20/10 0:55 AM) Reply
I don't think I would have had the fortitude to do so many muslins. Great job! Love the pockets. I will be starting my own journey to a good fitting pair of jeans. Will be taking the jeans class offered on PR. Congratulations on a good fitting pair of jeans.
Mary Nanna said... (5/20/10 0:45 AM) Reply
Hey well done those are really good looking jeans. I was surprised you couldn't find any strong thread though as it is sold with all other types here. Admire your fortitude changing threads every seam. I have made these pants 3 times and they just weren't what I wanted. I love the straight leg (you're right, not a bootcut) but don't like the low back. My absolute favourite jeans pattern right now is Burda 7738 but shaving off the flare into a bootleg. But that's enough about me.. let's celebrate your amazing pair of jeans!
Sharonspils said... (5/20/10 0:18 AM) Reply
You have done a brilliant job and thank you for the detailed adjustments. Love that pocket design.
LaurieEm said... (5/19/10 11:47 PM) Reply
Great review, and helpful too. Congratulations - you're on you have the start of a TNT pants pattern that you can play with endlessly. Once successful it is so much fun. Celebrate! If you bother to try on pants, you'll realize yours are much better. We're all "unusual" and I also need 2" more in back crotch than front crotch. It took me many tries to succeed - I didn't have your perseverance the first time. Kudos! BTW - I agree about the fly - what is it these days with short zips? Too much attention to the crotch, IMO.
fattyboomboom said... (5/19/10 11:26 PM) Reply
Nice jeans and wonderful review! I am so impressed with your perseverance and savvy in discovering your jeans solution!
EleanorSews said... (5/19/10 10:30 PM) Reply
What a great review! You really have provided lots of helpful info on your way to some very nice looking trouser jeans. Thanks so much. I think you have a winner!
becca a said... (5/19/10 10:27 PM) Reply
What an odyssey! You ended up with a great pair of jeans. I love your pocket stitching.
FreyaStark said... (5/19/10 10:22 PM) Reply
Wow! They are amazing and an impressive effort. Your perseverance has paid off. The embroidery on the pockets is really cute, too.
JEF said... (5/19/10 10:09 PM) Reply
I love your back pocket design. Thank you for the great review about all your fitting alterations.
Aixoise said... (5/19/10 9:08 PM) Reply
Thanks for all the details of your alterations and for the link to S. Betzina's article. You did a really nice job on these jeans. Be proud of yourself!
MNBarb said... (5/19/10 7:41 PM) Reply
OK, your comment about jeans fitting "regularly shaped people" Who would THAT be. Don't be so hard on yourself. Every person over the age of 12 has to make some alterations to a pattern. You did a great job on these jeans. It seems like you're figuring out which areas need to be tweaked next time. Don't give up! I don't normally love stretch fabric but did find it was easier to achieve a good fit with some "give." The boyfriend cut is good for you, I see why you like it.
JanJanB said... (5/19/10 7:28 PM) Reply
These turned out fantastic. The fit is great and look very high end.

BurdaStyle Magazine 01-2007-118