Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 5132 (Civil War Costume Gown)

Reviewed by:timetravelcostumes

About timetravelcostumesstar
FL USA
Member since: 1/28/09
Posted on:5/20/10 1:27 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 2 people    Very Helpful by 3 people
jewelsew said... (5/21/10 4:02 PM) Reply
You might try Truly Victorian patterns, which you can shop for on their website. They are very good to work with and offer a lot of styles.
MCBurbage said... (5/21/10 5:25 AM) Reply
Simplicity has put out several Civil War era patterns that are supposed to be very authentic, some even say what dress they're bsed on on the envelope back. There are still a couple in print. I've been warned that you need to watch the sizing, though, because they have a more modern amount of ease with the period shape.
droxy said... (5/20/10 6:18 PM) Reply
What a wonderfully feminine costume! I think I have this pattern. I want to make it. I also have a Civil war men's uniform pattern. I know historcal folks are into being true for history, but average spectators will not notice this. When making a dress over a waist trainign grade corset, take measurements with the corset on and adjust the pattern to that. (even if you use a historical pattern)
Paris75008 said... (5/20/10 5:34 PM) Reply
The undergarments are amazing. Hard to believe that women really dressed like that once upon a time.
Trephas2003 said... (5/20/10 2:35 PM) Reply
It looks beautiful!
Aroura said... (5/20/10 2:12 PM) Reply
oops, I didn't mean to link an e-bay auction :( The pattern number that I have "heard" was very authentic was Simplicity 9761. OOP. Always enjoy your reviews/blog!
Aroura said... (5/20/10 1:53 PM) Reply
You did great, considering it wasn't a very period pattern. In my somewhat limited experience, of the big 4 pattern comanies, Butterick has the BEST period patterns in general. I have a friend who used this Simplicity pattern though: http://cgi.ebay.com/Victorian-Civil-War-Dress-Bodice-Costume-Pattern-1860s-/140407771295?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b0f4909f, for her wedding 6 years ago, and she said that it was fantastic! It is OOP though. Good luck, I know you'll find something that works for you, and I'm sure it will be beautiful, because your attention to detail is veryapparent. Great try, helpful review too! I won't ever buy this one.

More Knits