Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8659 (Dress (aka the "Allyn Dress"))

Reviewed by:Auntie Allyn

About Auntie Allynstar
VA USA
Member since: 3/18/08
Posted on:6/2/10 8:20 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 5 people    Very Helpful by 12 people
See other patterns in this category: Dresses    Tops    Pants

Geralyn said... (6/3/10 2:30 PM) Reply
That dress has haunted me since PR weekend! This new version is just as awesome. I have some fabric (olive linen, prewashed to be "relaxed") from London Textiles that I am hesitant to try b/c I am afraid that I don't have enough fabric. Thanks for the tip on adjusting the torso. I was wondering how I could conserve fabric.
Athene said... (6/3/10 3:29 AM) Reply
Love your 2nd version also. When I saw your first one I had to buy the pattern.
Karen6790 said... (6/2/10 10:24 PM) Reply
The "Allyn Dress" was definitely THE PR Weekend dress. I'm considering one myself, and I'm only 5'3". But of course, wicked shoes would take me up a few inches . . . I like this version as much as the first one. (And yes, you might be the first - all my fabric is pre-treated and I'm considering some of it, but I haven't sewn any yet!)
FreyaStark said... (6/2/10 4:51 PM) Reply
It's fabulous and really cute. Well done.
Kathy in NM said... (6/2/10 2:51 PM) Reply
Very Nice! This is really a great dress. This fabric really gives it a different look. You can never go wrong with a TNT!
annie11 said... (6/2/10 11:35 AM) Reply
Looks stunning! Okay, you've convinced me- next pattern sale, it's coming home with me.
RadarRadiance said... (6/2/10 10:45 AM) Reply
Love it on you, had to take a look at your other one, too! Looks great on you with those "long" legs!!! Lucky girl ........
lamstu said... (6/2/10 10:27 AM) Reply
I liked the first version and I like this one too. And I am so sad that I missed the PR weekend in my home town. (Sometimes travel is not so fun....) I'm not as tall as you are, but this dress looks really easy to wear. I'm thinking about it now.
DorothyK said... (6/2/10 10:14 AM) Reply
I'm guessing this will be the most popular dress of the year. You inspired everyone with your first version and now again. It is definitely on my list to do. I wish I had your height, though. You can really carry this style well.
CarolynGM said... (6/2/10 10:01 AM) Reply
Your first review caused me to buy this pattern. Now I just need the fabric. I love both your versions.
starryfish said... (6/2/10 9:07 AM) Reply
You look great in this, but i am absolutely not trying it. At 5'5" with less than perfect legs I don't want to frighten the neighbourhood to death. It is definitely one for the tall and statuesque.
Gelbean said... (6/2/10 8:51 AM) Reply
Glad to see you decided to make another one. This dress was the talk of the whole PR weekend. Everybody loves the Allyn dress. I still say I could never wear this style but it looks amazing on you!
thirteenstitches said... (6/2/10 8:48 AM) Reply