Pattern Reviews> Amy Butler> AB042SW (Sweet Harmony Handbag & Tote)

Reviewed by:Sherril Miller

About Sherril Millerstarstarstarstar
Posted on:6/7/10 2:50 PM
Last Updated:6/8/10 1:08 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 20 people
Seabreeeze said... (12/10/11 8:50 PM) Reply
what a lovely looking bag, you done a wonderful job. I am very impressed with the position of the rose on the front and the continuous of the fabric design onto the next pattern.. Very clever alignnment and seals the professionalism of the bag.
diane s said... (6/15/10 6:27 PM) Reply
One of my summer projects is to make the tote. I appreciate your review and the way you matched the pocket flower is amazing.
JDpenelope said... (6/13/10 8:34 AM) Reply
I almost missed your great review -- So many helpful tips to get your professional look. I agree with you completely about the magnets -- Why take a chance on ruining a bag after all that work if you poke holes in the wrong place for the magnets! Also, I happen to like large pockets, but it's interesting that even you have problems with the gaping, as I do. It makes me think I will pinch out a dart at the top next time I cut out a big pocket piece. Lastly -- I know exactly what you mean about the difficult stitching through many thicknesses, especially when trying to reach difficult spaces with your machine. In fact, I've purchased a cylinder arm industrial machine for just those problems. Great work.
Kathi R said... (6/12/10 6:25 PM) Reply
Thanks for the heads up on excess fabric requirements --- hey, a 1/4 of yard and a 1/8 of a yard there adds up and creates storage problems since I can't seem to throw anything away. Very nice project.
Morisot said... (6/9/10 9:48 AM) Reply
Your bag is beautiful and beautifully tailored. (I've got a few bag patterns, but the interfacing requirements are off-putting. Hair canvas? )
lynne1nor said... (6/8/10 4:31 PM) Reply
Wow! Great looking bag and great review!
nancy2001 said... (6/8/10 1:59 PM) Reply
Wow, Sherrill, your bag turned out beautifully. I love the way you centered the rose. Just terrific!
Raye Ann said... (6/8/10 1:27 PM) Reply
Lovely bag! I also love Amy Butler's designs, but find her directions overly wordy and therefore confusing. I have stalled out on beginning the bag from her book... I want it to be a success and am questioning my ability to follow the instructions:)
maespinoza28 said... (6/8/10 10:51 AM) Reply
What a great look purse!! Makes me want to make one. I recently bought a purse of stiff leather and it's like dragging around luggage. :)
Diane E said... (6/8/10 10:50 AM) Reply
Beautiful bag, Sherril. Thanks for your detailed review!
ryansmumAria said... (6/8/10 8:05 AM) Reply
Hi Sherril! Oh, this is just wonderful! I want this bag... Hey, my last day is this friday~ One of my summer plans is to meet up with you for any reason~finally~.
RadarRadiance said... (6/7/10 7:53 PM) Reply
Love the material, GREAT review! Well worth the effort even with poor instructions.
OP Gal said... (6/7/10 7:46 PM) Reply
What a wonderful review! And what a wonderful purse. I love where you placed the large cabbage rose (or whatever the flower is) on the purse. It's just right. The purse itself is obviously beautifully sewn. Another great project, Sherril.
sewtime said... (6/7/10 6:51 PM) Reply
Beautifully made!! Very pretty bag!
Schnauzer said... (6/7/10 6:46 PM) Reply
Your bag is gorgeous, Sherril!
AnitaJ said... (6/7/10 5:14 PM) Reply
Great looking handbag! I like your modifications. I've been curious about this pattern and your review has been very helpful.
starryfish said... (6/7/10 2:57 PM) Reply
I am awed by your skill. What a fantastic bag. I think I'll leave this pattern alone unless I improve my skills.

by: CCcreative