Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8554

Member since: 11/15/09
Sewing skills:Beginner
Posted on:6/13/10 5:49 PM

D.Skaar said... (6/30/10 9:06 PM) Reply
mollyshark, Thanks for the for the advise to use cotton thread. I will definitely try that out. I may even rip the seam back to fix the puckering.
chutchings said... (6/25/10 11:45 AM) Reply
I am looking to make this on the weekend, both of the reviews have been really helpful. I can't think of why they didn't cut the skirt on the fold. I'm going to do that and see how it goes. But I do agree with Gay, I think it looks cute, half of why I still bought the pattern.
mollyshark said... (6/24/10 7:30 AM) Reply
I learned a secret from Louise Cutting at ASW a couple years ago. With cotton fabrics, using standard polyester thread will frequently cause a seam pucker that won't iron out. The thread draws in at a different rate than the cotton fabric and there you have it. Try a cotton thread or at least one with cotton in it that won't fight back like the polyesters. But embaby is correct..this should be cut on the fold if you can.
embaby said... (6/23/10 9:24 AM) Reply
I should have read your review first. I'm doing this project now and hated the centre seam on the front of the skirt (definitely agree that it should have been cut on the centre fold of the fabric) and the gathered skirt as well. I'm contemplating plan B- to change the dress into a jumpsuit by replacing the full skirt with high waisted short since I do like the top portion of the dress.
Gay said... (6/13/10 9:13 PM) Reply
You may feel that it's not 'you', but it looks very good on you. You might like it better in voile or lawn or even rayon, which would make the skirt less poufy. Getting a non-puckered seam on the straight-of-grain with that cotton broadcloth can be very tricky.

Understanding Wool Fabrics