Pattern Reviews> New Look> 6963 (Misses' Tops)

Reviewed by:dfr2010

About dfr2010star
FL USA
Member since: 3/27/10
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:6/28/10 1:17 PM
Last Updated:8/7/10 1:30 PM

craftygamma said... (8/20/10 11:54 AM) Reply
This pattern turned out to be a wadder for me. I should have taken a picture, but didn't. My facing was all ripply at the neckling and about 2" longer than the blouse. That can just be cut off, but struck me as strange. I used a size 18 which was right for my measurements, but was too tight. I let out the back darts, and it fit snugly. I decided not to invest the cost of buttons or any more time in this pattern & wadded it.
Aroura said... (8/7/10 2:55 PM) Reply
Thanks for this review. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you, and that you lost some fabric you really liked :( But the reveiw and coments are very helpful! I'll steer clear of this pattern if I want a nice button front shirt.
frame said... (7/26/10 4:05 PM) Reply
The cutting lines not lining up are because the shorter sleeve lengths are giving an allowance for turning under the hem. This is a very common pattern design and necessary when you turn under that hem. You correctly merged your line from the shorter version to the longer version. You will see this a lot. HTH I never heard of interfacing a back yolk in a woman's blouse, so I can't say eliminating that is bad. I do like the idea of doubling the fabric in the yoke. Good for you. Sorry this pattern didn't work out for you. There are lots more to try. :)
Margaret said... (7/1/10 4:47 PM) Reply
The single interfaced layer sounds really odd, thanks for pointing that out. :( Anyway, hope it goes well once you do go back to it.
Longarm said... (6/30/10 6:13 PM) Reply
I hope when you get back to this project you will let us know how it goes. Wishing all good luck. I just finished making this pattern and posted comments on my experience with the pattern, which you can find if you do a search under "big shirt" in the boards. I plan to post an actual review once I buy the right buttons to complete my shirt. I am really pleased with it overall.
RadarRadiance said... (6/28/10 11:30 AM) Reply
Good luck with the fitting, it is a nice pattern. I downloaded the kwik sew link you posted...Thanks! OH....I was surprised to read that kwik sew designs for a C cup, good info to know!!!
craftygamma said... (6/26/10 4:58 PM) Reply
I have this pattern now. The jogs on the sleeve are for the hem on the short sleeve version, but you are correct that there is no indication of this. I have it cut out, but did not go any further. Am looking forward to seeing your finished version. I am making a wearable muslin (I hope it's wearable).
Margaret said... (6/22/10 9:21 PM) Reply
Looks like a nice pattern/fabric choice. Good luck on the FBA -- this looks like a relatively simple method. I think those jog lines on the sleeve are to make the hem flare out correctly for the shorter sleeve... the longer sleeve should definitely be cut w/ the jog smoothed out and it's too bad the pattern doesn't indicate that.
craftygamma said... (6/20/10 1:13 PM) Reply
I hate tracing patterns PERIOD. For myself, I just cut the pattern, especially a $4 pattern. I sew a lot for my daughter & grandkids, and I force myself to trace to utilize the entire cost of the pattern. I like this blouse design, though, and will be watching to see how it works out for you. Will probably buy the pattern now though.
GlButterfly said... (6/19/10 2:06 AM) Reply
Once you get those cutting cuts in control, you can make many and have them look completely different. Good luck with the FBA. I think you'll like the fit better.

Understanding Sheer Fabrics