Pattern Reviews> Cutting Line Designs> one seam pant:313171 (one seam pant:313171)

Reviewed by:JETrinity

About JETrinitystarstar
MI USA
Member since: 8/23/09
Posted on:6/23/10 7:52 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 17 people
Cultured Purl said... (5/5/12 3:18 PM) Reply
PS If you sew on a knit you should have a needle for knits or it skips stitches in my machine, and I have a pretty good machine, someone told me she uses quilting needles b/c she saw somones pants splt open once, obviously they were RTW but what a fun story non the less! And I will be taking a class w/ Linda Lee soon so I stopped feeling too sorry for myself ( well they better come home w/ some great fabric since I gave them my CC too!, and a check and a note to run it thru, etc,,,)
Cultured Purl said... (5/5/12 3:14 PM) Reply
Sorry I am looking a few years later but I just purchased this pattern, and I LOVE how yours turned out w/ the slimmer leg( tapered leg), they really look well made and well fit on you! ( BTW I am in bed w/ a back that went out yesterday while my friends are in a LC class, so I am looking at all the patterns I missed seeing made up,,,,,I would have crawled there but I cannot be taking major meds and walk nor even sit up in a car for the drive up there,,,,hopefully I will get a new pattern tho,) I truly love your pants on you and do wonder how they made that adjustment on a one seam pant tho,,,,that has me wondering how to do it!
JETrinity said... (6/25/10 1:07 PM) Reply
WOOGY: You really have some good legitimate questions. As a former math teacher I loved them and if you were in my class, you would have made my day. I will update my review. Here are your answers. QUILTING NEEDLE: Louise Cutting always uses a quilting needle and only owns quilting needles. In her patterns under notions she always puts a 75/11 machine quilting needle. Her reason is she never sews knits because she says she does not look good in knits. Since my pant was a knit, I used a ball point needle. Personally, I do not own any machine quilting needle. WAISTBAND: As the kids would say, I bad. This pattern has a waist casing that you cut out and you tape the waist casing to the natural waist of the pants. This eliminates all that bulk at the waistline with a waistband. Using a waistband would give you 4 layers of gathered fabric in addition to the elastic. We called it a waistband in the class
RLL said... (6/24/10 4:46 PM) Reply
I have made this pattern probably 30 times or more...all styles (I have her books with all the variations) and all fabrics, including denim for capri's. Once you get your fit right, they are so easy to whip up. I agree with Barbara3....don't go to big with your size. In fact, I remember now that I went smaller for the leg size than the crotch size so as not to be so big in the leg. Love these pants, they are so comfy.
Barbara3 said... (6/24/10 2:13 PM) Reply
Great review. Thanks! These look just pefect on you. Very flattering. I think the key to success with this pattern is not to start with too big a size because it is such a full style. I've made them a couple of times and find them comfortable too. I've noticed that Louise Cutting and this pattern have quite a following over on Artisan Square.
woggy said... (6/24/10 1:23 PM) Reply
Wonderful looking pants but I have a few questions. You mentioned using a quilt needle. Are you saying to use a quilt needle when sewing knits? Or do you use a quilt needle to sew through the elastic waist? Next, you said the instructor, Linda, taped the waistband to the pants pattern. Can I assume this pattern has a separate waistband? If so, then why did the instructor tape the waistband to the torso part of the pattern? Did you not want a separate waistband? I was under the impression that a separate waistband for gathered pants sits better on the body. What does WW mean? Thanks for your responses.
strongnow said... (6/24/10 10:14 AM) Reply
Great review. You have given us valuable information. I have had this pattern for a while but have not yet jumped in! This summer is it. Thanks so much, from another math teacher.
Diane333 said... (6/24/10 8:27 AM) Reply
Love your review.
FreyaStark said... (6/24/10 6:11 AM) Reply
Looks like you've achieved a perfect fit, and some very comfortable pants, too.
katie lynne said... (6/24/10 0:27 AM) Reply
You're so cute! I, too, wondered how there could only be ONE seam. But I do get the attraction for the simplicity and construction ease once you get your individual fit worked out. And jeepers, you've nailed it! Your pants look absolutely great on you...and comfortable. Thanks for such a great review. Your comments are a nice read.
Nancywin said... (6/23/10 10:14 PM) Reply
Great pants. I NEVER used to wear elastic waist pants, but totally get the arthritis thing. When I'm having a bad arthritis day, I want to put on the absolute easiest thing I can. No way my hands will pull a zipper or button a button. Most tops these days are tucked out anyway, so who's to know?
linda 75142 said... (6/23/10 10:00 PM) Reply
I love this pattern too!
marec said... (6/23/10 8:26 PM) Reply
Fun review to read, and very helpful. Your pants look great-I like the waistband treatment.
JEF said... (6/23/10 8:23 PM) Reply
Excellent review! I've made these a few times. It's a great pattern.

BurdaStyle Magazine 05-2007-115