Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1162 (Misses' Dress)

Reviewed by:Barbara V

About Barbara Vstarstarstarstar
Posted on:6/26/10 5:11 PM
Last Updated:6/26/10 5:15 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 50 people

ClioBklyn said... (10/6/11 3:35 PM) Reply
Very helpful review - I should have commented sooner that your version was one of the inspirations for mine!
salsera7 said... (7/9/11 8:32 PM) Reply
Only a very classy lady could wear this dress so well not to mention your impeccable sewing skills. Great job! I just need to make this dress and maybe the special even will follow.
SHIM said... (7/6/11 1:42 AM) Reply
you did a fantastic job!
Julia Bobbin said... (11/22/10 8:41 PM) Reply
I'm speechless!
Queen of the mountain said... (10/31/10 10:51 AM) Reply
You did a beautiful job on the dress. I had planned to make this dress for my son's wedding but I was busy making the wedding gown and herniated a couple of discs that slowed me down! I had worked on it prior to just didn't get it finished. So I started working on it after the wedding. Lady Cheryl, I ran into the same problem as you! The notches on the left side do not match, so I put it aside. I'm going to work on it again and ignore those notches and see what I can do.
Gordita1616 said... (10/18/10 2:55 PM) Reply
Fabulous! Oh my goodness. This is just stunning.
whatlarks said... (9/10/10 11:21 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress. I've admired the pattern and wondered how it would work . I'm completely impressed with your workmanship and the result,and I thought you looked stunning in it.
Barbara V said... (8/29/10 11:20 AM) Reply
Hi Lady Cheryl, Thank you. Well, there's nothing like actually sewing up a garment to generate questions. I hope I can answer yours based on my project and assist in bringing your project to completion. 1) I did not feel I had a bulge problem in the area that you describe. Perhaps the combination of silk dupioni with tulle underlining and lining created a firm/crisp enough fabric to hold the bias area without bulging. Perhaps this issue has to do also with how tight or loose the fit is. Sorry, it is difficult to analyze exactly what is causing it without seeing the fabric and dress on you. 2) I do not recall having unmatched notches on the left side. If they were unmatched, it totally slipped by me. My goal must have been to create the front seam folds, pin to the back making sure the length of front and back side seams matched. I think any one or several of the pleats could be adjusted slightly to achieve the overall length that is needed to match to the back panel. One liberty that I took was to take in that side seam even more for the fit that I wanted to achieve. That took the seam line beyond the 5/8" seam where I had basted the folds, but I just pinned the pleats further in and adjusted it to fit to the back panel and stitched. 3) I thought my sleeves turned out a little more constricting than designed or illustrated because I decreased the width of the upper front neckline and did notice that, no, I couldn't raise my arms up beyond shoulder height - no wild dancing for me when wearing this dress! But for the type of use I intended, I was fine with it. 4) I notice your observation about the side pleating on my dress looking more extreme across the waist line than the pattern cover. Again I think this is due to the more crisp nature of silk dupioni which easily moves into flatter creased draping as compared to softer more fluid fabrics that defy sharp creases and rather create more undefined and more floating pleats and draping. Also this was the area that I took in the most for a snug fit through the waistline. Perhaps that caused the pleats to be more defined. I hope you are able to resolve the issues with your dress and that you are able to finish it to your liking. Best wishes....Congratulations! Barbara
Lady Cheryl said... (8/28/10 6:57 PM) Reply
Great dress adn the colour is superb, flower feature comes up well, after all the hard work. My mum, sister and I are making this dress for my wedding, not in white or red. Did you find that you had to adjust the dress on the left side to remove the bulge that occurs just below the hip area when you get into the section of the dress cut on the grain. Also did you find the notches on the left side do not match up. Now that you have worn the dress can I ask , how did you find the tightness of the sleeve and could you if needed lift your arm above the shoulder height? Also we found, and as evidenced in you photos the side pleating creates an effect across the waist line that is more extreme than in is apparent on the photos on the cover of the pattern. Your dress looks great and has inspired us to continue with mine. We were at the point of abandoning it.
narcissaqtpie said... (8/3/10 12:50 PM) Reply
Tenshi said... (7/8/10 3:31 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! It is such a beautiful dress, absolutely exquisite and you look wonderful wearing it. Belville Sassoon patterns sure seem to require the extra amount of work, but it is worth it.
Barbara V said... (7/7/10 9:45 AM) Reply
Canyonlady67 - Good question here as I forgot to mention this; but I had to deal with it when I bought the fabric. The silk fabric width was about 50 inches wide and as you say the pattern only gives yardage requirement for 60". In the store I pulled out the pattern pieces and determined that I needed more fabric.....maybe 1/2 to 3/4 yd. I recomend that you do the same, especially if the fabric is even narrower. The dress front is the piece that needs the width. I'm not sure if the pattern piece would fit on 45 inch will need to check if you find narrower fabric. Good luck.....thank you!
canyonlady67 said... (7/7/10 2:29 AM) Reply
What a beautiful dress! Gorgeous color on you. Your review is very well written and helpful. I just purchased this pattern and am waiting for it to come in the mail. I noticed the yardage requirements are only given for 60" wide fabric. Is this because the pieces will not fit on 45" fabric? Did you use 60" fabric? If not do you remember how much more fabric you needed? Thank you. :)
Mahogany Stylist said... (7/2/10 1:18 PM) Reply
Outstanding Barbara! The dress is over the top and thank you for all the lovely details. I bought this pattern last year. Maybe one day I'll make it.
Tailypo said... (7/1/10 10:55 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! I am so glad you took the time to write a thorough, thoughtful review of this dress -- I've been waiting for someone to tackle it. Your results are grand.
callmeRuth said... (6/29/10 4:41 PM) Reply
Fabulous dress!!!
eugenia123 said... (6/28/10 12:29 PM) Reply
Fabulous, stunning and totally awe-inspiring!!! When I saw this pattern I loved the style but knew that it was way, way too difficult for me. I am so thrilled to see that you have made it - and so perfectly! You look breathtaking in it - all heads must have turned when you wore this. That picture of you and your lovely hubby is a gem.
Bernadette W said... (6/28/10 0:27 AM) Reply
Barbara- This is so fabulous! And I had just recommended this as an option for a MOB dress mid summer--thank you for your thorough review and heads up on this pattern.
Heatherrique said... (6/27/10 9:44 PM) Reply
Oh Barbara! Your dress is ultra chic and mesmerizing! I admire your patience, persistence, and hard work with this pattern. Your results are well worth your efforts. Thank you for your very helpful review. I also enjoy reading your information on your fabric choice and more about underlining. It really helps, especially for someone as myself who is fabric "illiterate". The adorable pic of you and your husband is very heartwarming. Now, I have the warm fuzzies. Thanks for adding another smile to my day!
Jane S said... (6/27/10 8:37 PM) Reply
You look fabulous in this beautiful dress. Great review to read as well.
Bunsnpigs said... (6/27/10 7:48 PM) Reply
Oh! I am so speechless except to say, 'Fabulous!!!'
redhotpepper said... (6/27/10 6:50 PM) Reply
I wasn't all that impressed with this pattern but your version is breathtaking! I may have to take a second look.
Winifred said... (6/27/10 5:40 PM) Reply
Barbara, this dress is most beautiful and looks a million dollars ! Many congratulations
cindyann said... (6/27/10 1:26 PM) Reply
Wowza! That is just beautiful. I just love your work.
HLT said... (6/27/10 12:05 PM) Reply
I'm quite certain that you were the belle of ball! You look marvelous!! Great review!
Barbara V said... (6/27/10 11:56 AM) Reply
Thank you again for your comments and questions :-) AMANDA S - The pattern instructions say only: "check that all placement lines on sleeves are transferred clearly" - (not much help). I decided to lay the pattern piece over the sleeve, pin and secure part of it in place, then fold the pattern piece back to the center and started drawing free hand the lines using a white marking pencil right next to the folded pattern piece, continuing in this fashion out to the edges. I felt at liberty to draw it on this way as I'm sure it was originally hand drawn. I didn't think it would matter much if my liines were slightly different as long as the center circle started correctly, the outer lines were correct distance from edges and I had the same general idea of meandering circular lines and squigles. There are slight differences between the two flowers, but nothing really noticeable . CYNTHIA SUE - We attended a local fundraiser. ANN - Tim's matching silk hanky was purchased. CATBIRD & KAY Y - Sorry I don't know the content of the tulle as the fabrics in this store come from the L.A. garment district and many are not labeled. Susan Khalje discribes most tulle as polyester and I think that is the content of mine.
Enid E said... (6/27/10 11:04 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress....what an inspiration you are. It looks lovely on you!
Twinset said... (6/27/10 10:18 AM) Reply
Wow, Barbara, this is such a beautiful and elegant dress! Suits you perfectly! Thanks for the detailed review.
Frogstitcher said... (6/27/10 10:01 AM) Reply
I echo all the comments. You are so talented and it is such a pleasure to read about your sewing journeys. You've really outdone yourself on this one. Thanks for sharing.
Kay Y said... (6/27/10 9:22 AM) Reply
Your dress is stunning, and you look absolutely fabulous in it! Thanks for all the details. The tulle underlining is an interesting tip - I used silk organza recently with silk dupioni and it worked well but will try to remember that tulle is an alternative (I'm also interested in knowing the fibre content of the tulle).
Catbird said... (6/27/10 9:07 AM) Reply
It's me again. I forgot to ask something -- what is the fabric content of your tulle, Barbara? I'm currently on the lookout for cotton tulle. I've spotted it here and there on the web but the pricing seems insanely high to me.
Catbird said... (6/27/10 9:01 AM) Reply
This is incredibly beautiful and you look incredibly beautiful in it. I'm just blown away by those sleeves. How the addition of handmade flowers AND ruffles could look so understated and perfectly balanced with the rest of the dress is a wonder to me. Of course, you have tiny shoulders, which are the ideal "canvas" for that kind of embellishment. The color is deep and luscious. I could go on and on. I'm babbling. This is spectacular. The wrap too -- brilliant!
Ellenatlga said... (6/27/10 8:50 AM) Reply
ditto what everyone else said, simply stunning!
sugarduck said... (6/27/10 3:32 AM) Reply
I was hoping someone would make this dress. Your version is simply gorgeous!! I'm so impressed by what you did with this difficult pattern. You look beautiful! :-)
Ann Smith said... (6/27/10 2:26 AM) Reply
Did you make the flower for Tim?
Mazzygirl said... (6/27/10 0:57 AM) Reply
I bought this pattern for no reason other than its absolutely gorgeous! I will probably never have an occasion to wear it so may never ever get to make it, so its nice to see it made up, & I love all your details & photos too. You did a magnificent job on this dress & you look just stunning in it. thanks for sharing your beautiful work with us!
CynthiaSue said... (6/27/10 0:51 AM) Reply
WHAT was the event? dying to know! i soaked up every detail of this review, clicking on all the links. how fun to follow your progress along. I can't believe those squiggle lines on the pattern pieces turn out such gorgeous roses. You did a beautiful job. lovely choice in fabric. lovely everything. You are so talented.
Amanda S. said... (6/27/10 0:45 AM) Reply
Woo hoo, you made IT! I have been waiting and waiting to see this pattern reviewed. You did a stunning job and the fit and color are perfection. Just wondering - how did you transfer the wavy flower lines to your fabric? Love the picture of you and your hubby as well.
Annette1 said... (6/27/10 0:11 AM) Reply
Well, if you aren't pretty as a picture in this dress, then I don't know who could be. It's BEAUTIFUL, and I've ALWAYS loved this pattern. I REALLY appreciate the tip of underlining with tulle. I wish I'd known that when I recently made a dupioni top. I used batiste and cut the front princess panels on the bias, which was a mistake, OKAY? It didn't have enough stability. I've ALWAYS loved this pattern, and I'm so glad to see it made up by an ACE seamstress. (Is "seamstress" a bad word these days? I get the impression it is.) Books on tape is a GREAT idea. I usually have the TV on in the sewing room, but I'm not WATCHING, since I'm sewing. GREAT review, as always.
LynnRowe said... (6/26/10 11:09 PM) Reply
...!!! Typeless. I'm just typeless! Stunning gown, and you look absolutely beautiful in it!
sewbehind said... (6/26/10 10:45 PM) Reply
This is beyond beautiful. Wow! You look lovely in this.
QuiltersFan said... (6/26/10 10:18 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress that looks amazing on you. Your reviews inspire.
AnneMarie60 said... (6/26/10 9:50 PM) Reply
What a great review for a stunning dress! You look gorgeous in this lovely design. Love the ruffles, the roses on the sleeves, and the pretty wrap you made. I am thinking about making my own mother-of-the-bride dress, and this pattern is a contender. Thanks especially for the hint about using tulle as an underlining.
marec said... (6/26/10 8:40 PM) Reply
71 steps! I bow to you. Love your work always, but this was a special treat to read. Beautiful dress and a handsome couple.
nikarphar said... (6/26/10 8:39 PM) Reply
Love it love it love !!!
ryansmumAria said... (6/26/10 7:22 PM) Reply
oh, heavens! Now that it really something
DorothyK said... (6/26/10 7:16 PM) Reply
Barbara, this dress is more than fabulous. It's a masterpiece. It looks much better on you than on the model. What meticulous work you do. Congratulations on a job well done. PS. I know where you went, but I'm not saying :)
sfshaza said... (6/26/10 7:06 PM) Reply
Yowza, woman! This is STUNNING!!!
Barbara V said... (6/26/10 6:50 PM) Reply
Thank you for your comments! Annie, it was not itchy at all. There are coarser grades of tulle, but this one was finer (I was so glad the store had it in stock) and the lining was sufficient to buffer any rough or scratchy or snaggy places. It works quite well.
annie11 said... (6/26/10 6:38 PM) Reply
Wow! What a stunning dress. I am in awe of your skills, Barbara. Thanks for such a great review. I am intrigued by your underlining with tulle. Was it at all itchy to wear?
BillieJean said... (6/26/10 6:12 PM) Reply
Excellent review - gorgeous dress!! Thanks
maybbm said... (6/26/10 6:12 PM) Reply
Beautiful, Barbara. I am a big fan of your creations. When I saw this pattern sometime ago, I thought I would not have an occasion to wear it. But, now, after your version, I think it is not over the top at all. Very chic. Thank you for reviewing it. May
sewtime said... (6/26/10 6:11 PM) Reply
WOW, fabulous dress!!!
Ann Smith said... (6/26/10 6:07 PM) Reply
This is just fantastic. You did an incredible job of a complex project. I'm amazed that Rainbow had everything you needed! I hope you get to wear it again.
Christas said... (6/26/10 6:04 PM) Reply
What a stunningly GORGEOUS dress! WOW!!! You look so beautiful wearing it. Excellent review - as always!
Pixie Helen said... (6/26/10 5:56 PM) Reply
wow wow wow! beautiful colour, beautiful job. thanks for sharing.
WildWyoming said... (6/26/10 5:54 PM) Reply
Really lovely. Thanks for such a thorough review. I learned a few things!
Jeannine1976 said... (6/26/10 5:25 PM) Reply
Oh it's absolutely beautiful! I'm so excited to see this made up, you did an extraordinary job on it. :)
Nan Kay said... (6/26/10 5:21 PM) Reply