Pattern Reviews> Burda> 7880 (Historic dress (1888))

Reviewed by:FreckleHead

Available for sale on PR: $11.21 $14.95 Pattern Details
Available for sale on PR: $11.21 $14.95 Pattern Details

Sweater knit fabrics

jjosiejo said... (10/19/13 5:25 PM) Reply
I have just made the bustle pad (overskirt is next on my list) and I just used an old voile curtain so it is lightweight and I don't mind how much fabric it needs - it's never going to be seen so why not make it out of any old stuff from your stash?!
ClioGilly said... (4/17/13 0:34 AM) Reply
I'm about to make this dress so thanks for the review. Funny you should say that about the bustle because I was thinking it used an unnecessarily complex layout and too much fabric. hmm now I have to decide what to do about.
FreckleHead said... (4/18/11 5:17 AM) Reply
At ATP: Do whatever you have to to make it fit. When that happens I just pull out the stitching that shows..... Kind of sloppy maybe, but it works for me. Good luck with your project!
ATP said... (3/31/11 10:15 AM) Reply
I have this pattern in my UFO pile & finally got it out again recently. This is my very first BIG project, so trying to do things correctly!!! I'm using a shot burgandy/ black taffeta with same coloured brocade for the front of the jacket. I am currently in the process of adding lining to the jacket (The pattern doesn't mention anything about adding lining, but I felt I wanted this to be a special garment that lasts.) I am also thinking of omitting any lace and just adding some simple braid on the jacket ( if any at all). My sister helped me resize the pattern to fit as I'm a larger lass and measured 3 different sizes! Sewing the jacket peplum was a bit tricky, and I'm also finding that the sleeves are a problem. They are too large, but pattern allows for some stitching to help ease in the tops of the sleeves, but the markings on the pattern indicating where to stich between seem too far down the sleeve, leaving about 1.5" / 4cm from the raw edge, (seam allowance is 5/8" / 1.5cm) and therefore the 2 rows of stitching would be visible on the sleeve. Should I just ignore the pattern markings and sew my machine basting closer to the raw edge??
cindyann said... (6/29/10 8:35 AM) Reply
Oh that is wonderful. You look lovely.
tess said... (6/29/10 6:13 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress, well done it looks amazing!
squirrellypoo said... (6/29/10 6:03 AM) Reply
Gorgeous dress! You look amazing in this, and the styling is just perfect, too.
Trephas2003 said... (6/29/10 5:44 AM) Reply
It looks beautiful!
Quietlife said... (6/28/10 11:08 PM) Reply
Charming.....you really look the part
Aroura said... (6/28/10 9:46 PM) Reply
What a gorgeouss dress! And you look truly beautiful and classic in it. The festival looks like it was a lot of fun, and I bet your your costume was a hit. Great job! Thanks for the wonderful review, too. Good notes on the bustle.
Bonny Dune said... (6/28/10 8:42 PM) Reply