Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5495 (Knit top)

Reviewed by:bemodi

About bemodi
NS CANADA
Member since: 10/12/07

Best Patterns of 2010
Posted on:6/30/10 11:07 AM
Last Updated:6/30/10 11:09 AM

persevering said... (7/16/10 11:00 AM) Reply
What a nice garment! Thank you very much for this review and others, I plan to read. Your writing is particularly clear and informative. It is very kind of you to share your knowledge and experience. I read some of your blog postings too and believe I have found another kindred spirit whose information sharing will help me to be more productive.
bemodi said... (7/15/10 10:21 PM) Reply
Since posting this I made another top and a dress from this pattern and added fabric to the front - IMO this really is a great improvement, the results of those experiments are here http://sewingontheedge.blogspot.com/2010/07/butterick-5488-revisited.html
Helen near Sydney said... (7/3/10 4:23 AM) Reply
Looks fantastic, the print looks great. I think you could go even lairier (sp?) next time! Helen
LynnRowe said... (7/1/10 6:54 PM) Reply
I totally agree with you re construction technique on this, but it does look fantastic on you! :)
chrisquilts_2 said... (7/1/10 9:14 AM) Reply
Ugh... thanks for the review and I think you are spot on with the evaluation. Why Butterick insists upon using 1960's techniques is beyond understanding
sewbehind said... (6/30/10 9:48 PM) Reply
Very cute top. I have this one ready to trace. Thanks for all the helpful tips.
Nan Kay said... (6/30/10 7:37 PM) Reply
I agree completely with your evaluation of this pattern. Your top looks great. To bad the designer didn't think of the changes you had to make! I know some rtw leaves unfinished v's, but that doesn't mean they wear well unfinished. I'm going to give this pattern another shot because I do love the look! You did a great job of re-designing!
mhk3boys said... (6/30/10 4:18 PM) Reply
Your top looks great!
Taarna said... (6/30/10 3:48 PM) Reply
Very pretty!
ryansmumAria said... (6/30/10 3:00 PM) Reply
fabulous! you look great in this
Sue Anfang said... (6/30/10 11:55 AM) Reply
Thanks for your review! Barb, its interesting the differences you had from me! I just made this top and found I had no problem keeping the facings inside - as a matter of fact I have rtw knit tops with this type of folded under raw edge. I also found it quite long with no length adjustments and also very similar to the pattern illustration at the hip! I loved it with absolutley no changes, which is pretty rare for me.
Time4me said... (6/30/10 11:44 AM) Reply
It looks good! Thanks for the very informative review.

BurdaStyle Magazine 10-2005-101B