Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 8331 (Handbags and Tote)

Reviewed by:edie

About edie
GA USA
Member since: 4/23/03
Sewing skills:Advanced Beginner
Posted on:5/10/04 3:39 PM

See other patterns in this category: Accessories
mturner said... (9/22/04 10:44 AM) Reply
I have been struggling with this pattern! This was an excellent review. Thanks for telling me about the info for this pattern at diy.com, too!
Sew it seams said... (5/11/04 9:32 PM) Reply
I really like your bag, and your review was very helpful! I'm adding this pattern to my wish list. Thanks for a great review.
candyo said... (5/11/04 7:00 PM) Reply
This is the best review I've read here! VERY helpful! I've had this pattern for a long time, and I'm glad I've waited to try it, now that I have your review to refer to.
debbie.w said... (5/11/04 10:17 AM) Reply
great job -- beautiful purse
Battgirl said... (5/11/04 6:25 AM) Reply
Your bag is delicious. If you are going to make more check out www.umei.com for lots of bag stuff & if you want to do topstitching I have found yli jeans thread the smoothest and stitches like a dream with a 100 or 110 topstitch needle. Keep sewing I would love to see more!
Danvillegirl said... (5/11/04 5:58 AM) Reply
Very, very nice. Looks like you purchased from a nice department store. Good review.
PattyU said... (5/11/04 5:36 AM) Reply
This is a great review. Thanks. The bag looks great. I think I'll get this pattern at the next sale.
drsue said... (5/10/04 10:23 PM) Reply
You did a very nice job. I'm a pretty experienced sewer but I don't think purses are all that easy to make. You did a very good job on the purse and the review.
Liana said... (5/10/04 7:52 PM) Reply
Edie, this is a great purse! I saw that episode on DIY and printed out the instructions too, but never could find the pattern, as their references said Vogue patterns, and I found nothing remotely similar. Thanks for the clue! I'll be getting this pattern.
SewVeryTall said... (5/10/04 5:59 PM) Reply
You did a great job, Edie, on the purse and the review. One thing about using buckram...it can't be laundered. Sometimes I use multiple layers of fusible craft interfacing, so the bag can be tossed in the washing machine.
Stilltheone said... (5/10/04 5:46 PM) Reply
WOW! That is beautiful. Thank you for such a wonderful detailed review. I am making a tapestry purse. I am definitely going to use your suggestion for interfacing the lining also. I was wondering how it would look as I'm using a jeans needle. That is a beautiful bag!
minieme said... (5/10/04 5:03 PM) Reply
Thanks for your detailed review! The bag looks very store-bought. I'm sure your mom will love it. I've tried to get some magnetic closures locally but they dont have any :( Does anyone know of any mail order places? The one I checked out (in Australia) wants $9.95 for a pair!
Hilary said... (5/10/04 4:28 PM) Reply
edie, what a great review! Your bag is beautiful (I wish I could see the inside, I bet that flash of color is really pretty!) I appreciate the tip on buckram (btw, what is it exactly and where can it be found?) and the magnetic closure. I will have to check out the purse section at Hancock's and see if I can pick one up :o) I look forard to more reviews from you! I bet your Mom will love her bag.
ragner said... (5/10/04 4:20 PM) Reply
Fantastic job! Looks just like a certain department store brand we're all familiar with. ;) Very inspiring to know another beginning sewer can pull something like that off!

Sewing Workshop Quincy Top and Pants