Pattern Reviews> Burda> 8897 (Top and Skirt)

Reviewed by:Annette1

About Annette1starstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/04
Posted on:7/20/10 1:52 AM
Last Updated:7/20/10 1:57 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 23 people
Lucy in Virginia said... (7/30/10 9:09 AM) Reply
Beautiful top! Well worth all your hard work. Love the retro collar.
callmeRuth said... (7/28/10 11:01 AM) Reply
Hey, beautiful lady...I love your new top and I enjoyed reading your review. Keep sewing those fall/winter clothes and you'll be ahead of the game.
Elizabeth made this said... (7/23/10 10:33 PM) Reply
What a cool story, and the top is so chic!
Jane S said... (7/22/10 10:13 PM) Reply
Love your top, love the color on you and love your review. Isn't it funny how washing fabric changes the texture just enough for it to become something else. You picked a great pattern...double darts look wonderful. Bravo once again.
Terri A said... (7/22/10 7:27 PM) Reply
The granola sounds yummy and so does the wool you found in your stash! Great job:-)
Mahler said... (7/21/10 11:14 PM) Reply
I am in love with your top. The fabric and pattern are amazing. Acutally, I want that pattern so badly !!! I will try to find it on Ebay. It is OOP no ? You look wonderful
HLT said... (7/21/10 8:15 PM) Reply
Way to start on your fall wardrobe! I love that collar!
Fran G said... (7/21/10 7:04 AM) Reply
What a great review! Love your top. Does your energy come from the granola??!!?? Holy cow! My days of starting anything at 11pm are so behind me!
susiestitcher said... (7/21/10 6:52 AM) Reply
What beautiful fabric you ended up with. I love the color! Your top is great on you. Granola fumes...LOL! Lovely sewing job.
Peggy L said... (7/21/10 2:31 AM) Reply
DITTO:) Love the top, the hair and the pin:) You are working hard to put some weight back on your Dad and I am sure he is enjoying all of the attention.
marec said... (7/21/10 1:45 AM) Reply
Love it!
Athene said... (7/20/10 10:15 PM) Reply
A great top and the fabric is gorgeous.
room2ndfloor said... (7/20/10 8:48 PM) Reply
I missed you there for a while. Glad to see that you are back, sassy as ever.
Margaret said... (7/20/10 8:11 PM) Reply
Great looking top! I like the short length too.
Michelle L said... (7/20/10 6:06 PM) Reply
Very pretty! That fabric is just gorgeous! I love the double darts, and the collar. So many possibilities with this pattern!
Karendee said... (7/20/10 5:29 PM) Reply
Meant to say earlier that I really love the length of the top. I'd reconsider making the top longer next time. It's quite slimming or perhaps you're just slim.
Sweetiebop said... (7/20/10 4:37 PM) Reply
Annette get them both. That top is fabulous on you.
Barbara V said... (7/20/10 4:13 PM) Reply
Very flattering top. I love the collar. Whew....glad you got the collar cut out before running out of fabric!
Annette1 said... (7/20/10 1:37 PM) Reply
Sweetie Bop: Well, I'm not sure, BUT I did find a WHOLE BUNCH OF THEM on Mood Fabrics. I've been OGLING them for quite a while -- ha! I really like the RED and the BROWN. (Big surprise there, right?)
Sweetiebop said... (7/20/10 1:32 PM) Reply
Annette I love it. What color boiled wool are you thinking of?
MNBarb said... (7/20/10 1:12 PM) Reply
So glad you didn't burn the granola after you got a wrapped up in sewing. I love your reviews, they're like chatting over a cup of coffee. This in one of my favorite collar styles, I think it looks good on everyone. Love the fabric and the top!
carolynw said... (7/20/10 1:10 PM) Reply
It's lovely Annette and your review - funny as usual - I have titled it "Further Adventures with Annette". Washing that wool sure gave you a whole other deminsion to think of - I want to try it but think I am going to just end up with a ruined piece of cloth. Oh well - nothing tried - nothing done so will pick out my least favourite piece of wool and have a go!!
Karendee said... (7/20/10 12:45 PM) Reply
What a fun review just packed full of handy sewing tips!! And as for the top, it is perfect. Of course that top doesn't need a zipper!!! But I would have never thought of that particular side seam alteration. Like several other posters, I really like these darker colors on you and I'm finding the "newly grown short hairdo" just the thing to show off your fall/winter styles. I think this is the perfect time to get ready for fall/wiinter clothing since you're following the RTW cycle. When one is so hot, sewing summer clothes seem redundant. I agree with sfshaza (read her blog, Annette) in saying this review reads like a story. What fun!!!
AnneMarie60 said... (7/20/10 12:35 PM) Reply
A winner! You're like me trying to decide which piece of fabric to marry with which pattern! Enjoyed following the alterations you made. I really like the length of this top because it's just right for the vintage look you desired. Also enjoyed following your thought process. I know your dad will enjoy his homemade granola, btw.
Mahogany Stylist said... (7/20/10 12:14 PM) Reply
I love the collar too. Thanks for reviewing this pattern. Your top is sophisticated and chic. One that I would love in my wardrobe.
janet said... (7/20/10 11:11 AM) Reply
Tres chic!
Ann Smith said... (7/20/10 10:51 AM) Reply
What an amusing story. Another night owl I see! I have that pattern too so you have inspired me with your great looking top.
Riesie said... (7/20/10 10:37 AM) Reply
Gorgeous! Very Kim Novak in Bell, Book and Candle! (Well, her's was red silk, but still.......same gorgeous neckline).
Catbird said... (7/20/10 10:19 AM) Reply
Oooh...I love this one! These deep, rich colors you've been using lately look fantastic on you (and that type of collar does, too) and it's so cool how that fabric got transformed in the washer and dryer. I enjoyed the saga of you and your four huge dogs burning the midnight oil, traipsing back and forth between the Sewing Room From Hell and Daddy's Granola. It's amazing to me that the spark of a notion about doing some sewing while the granola was baking turned into a pattern search, a washing and drying event, pattern alterations, cutting, sewing and a beautiful top at the end! Even with TWO batches of granola that's quite an accomplishment. I love this and love the pin with it. Now I can't wait to see those Issey Miyake pants ;-))
Patti B said... (7/20/10 10:12 AM) Reply
Lovely top. I have always liked that type of collar. Yours looks SO much better than the pattern!
Grammy Gin said... (7/20/10 10:09 AM) Reply
Lovely top Annette! I, too, like the way the fabric turned out after washing & drying. Lucky Daddy!! :-)
Annette1 said... (7/20/10 10:00 AM) Reply
Fluffy Bunny: Ha! Believe it or not, Mom and Daddy used to call me the Pied Piper when we lived in Virginia, because at that time, there were lots of dogs just running around in the neighborhood, and they all followed me EVERYWHERE I WENT! :O)
Christas said... (7/20/10 9:19 AM) Reply
You made granola and didn't send me any ...... so sad!
Christas said... (7/20/10 9:17 AM) Reply
What a pretty top - love the shaping you added too! Goodness, with all this sewing you have been doing lately your poor stash is going to dwindle down to nuthin' ! I can't believe you keep wanting to sew pretty fall and winter clothes in this heat, but one this is for sure, you will have a gorgeous cooler weather wardrobe! Excellent review, as ALWAYS!
Fluffy bunny said... (7/20/10 9:08 AM) Reply
This is such a great top! It looks a lot better than the pattern envelope and the fabric and colout are just right. Your review made me smile (they usually do!). Are you the Pied Piper for dogs? I hope your Dad enjoys his granola.
renren said... (7/20/10 8:42 AM) Reply
Very nice! Love the fabric, the top, the review, and the four dogs following you to the kitchen.
HeyJane said... (7/20/10 7:24 AM) Reply
Super stylish! Love that collar, it's so flattering.
KathySews said... (7/20/10 7:22 AM) Reply
I think I should just make a list of what you make and follow. I love this. I would have passed this pattern by because of the skirt. Also, I want that fabric! Beautiful.
BillieJean said... (7/20/10 6:48 AM) Reply
I love this top and I love your review. I can just see you with your dogs right behind you, making all those trips back and forth to stir the granola. I have dogs and I know what you mean.
sfshaza said... (7/20/10 2:59 AM) Reply
It's like reading a story. :) You are nice to your Daddy. I love the double darts on this pattern. I love your top!
Sigrid. said... (7/20/10 2:23 AM) Reply
The top really shows off the possibilities of this pattern, Love the shaping of it and as always, perfect work.
Aroura said... (7/20/10 2:15 AM) Reply
Yours looks much better than the model's. What a great lot of work you put into it, an it shows! Lovely.
FreyaStark said... (7/20/10 2:04 AM) Reply
It looks like a very comfy top. I love the fabric and the colour.

Kwik Sew 3399