Pattern Reviews> Simplicity> 2692 (Misses Dress or Gown)

Reviewed by:mesewlot

About mesewlotstarstar
GA USA
Member since: 4/2/09
Posted on:7/21/10 9:00 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear
Jonni Angel said... (1/4/11 2:00 PM) Reply
...I actually think reading the other reviews that this dress would be better in a knit fabric! I'm going to be using this pattern again soon, and I agree with some of the other reviews that when you make it from a woven fabric, you have to make quite a few adjustments. I will be making mine out of knit fabric and I think I will make it 2 sizes smaller... I will let you know what happens!! ha ha!
mesewlot said... (7/27/10 5:17 PM) Reply
Thanks Wordnerd, I wish I could give you a special tip, but it was truly trial and error. I just refitted the dresses to their actual bodies and went from there. The dresses were huge. I would say anywhere from 2-3" too big. So, I just repinned and restitched. One big thing to note is this pattern does not call for knit fabric, but, I thought by cutting to exact body measurements, then taking the normal seam allowances would do the trick, WRONG ANSWER. Ao, I guess a good tip here would be, don't use a knit fabric for a pattern that doesn't call for it. I would love to hear other's perspective on this...I'm ever learning. Thanks!
WordNerd said... (7/27/10 2:49 PM) Reply
Thank you for your review! I'm using this pattern (view E) for my mother's dress for my daughter's wedding. It looks comfortable, and even more so in the slinky knit you used. I had to laugh when I read how large the dresses turned out. We (sewing moms) used that fabric for show choir dresses and swore we'd never use it again, it stretches and wiggled all over the place! We had to pin the girls in for their dress rehearsal! You did such a fantastic job working with a difficult fabric, you should post your sewing tips!!
mesewlot said... (7/23/10 0:48 AM) Reply
Thanks ladies! @ Eyeadaba, I've added a link to more pictures, just waiting for clearance from PR. Once there, watch the slideshow.
Karendee said... (7/22/10 5:30 PM) Reply
Beautiful dresses and women. I am sure this was a lovely wedding.
Eyeadaba said... (7/22/10 4:23 PM) Reply
What a stunning bridal party! These ladies surely know how to 'strike a pose'. The imperial purple is a wonderful colour that complements each bridesmaid so perfectly! Great job with the dresses, I really like the how this dress looks with the sleeve added. Very stylish. More pics please! with such a stunning bridal party, the bride must have looked amazing! Well done. Can't wait to see your version.
ggf2005 said... (7/22/10 1:17 PM) Reply
dare i say it...AWESOME!
carolynw said... (7/22/10 9:10 AM) Reply
You sure tackled ths head on and came out a winner. Dresses fit beautifully and all the ladies look divine!!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (7/22/10 0:49 AM) Reply
Beautifully done. What a huge challenge; you're so brave. My compliments to the bride. The dresses and colors are pretty and sophisticated. And not a bow or ruffle in sight.
mesewlot said... (7/22/10 0:36 AM) Reply
Thanks everybody!
candicer said... (7/21/10 11:08 PM) Reply
I love these dresses! A different look for bridesmaids - which I am always for! Anything other than traditional! The colors are beautiful and they fit beautifully as well!
Levone said... (7/21/10 11:02 PM) Reply
Gorgeous! This is such a different look, I love these.
Amy-may said... (7/21/10 10:30 PM) Reply
Love 'em! Good job making fitting adjustments at the last minute, they look great!
ClaireEmily said... (7/21/10 10:22 PM) Reply
Wow! Amazing dresses. The girls look beautiful.
Karen Easter said... (7/21/10 9:54 PM) Reply
Very beautiful!
persevering said... (7/21/10 9:25 PM) Reply
What beautiful dresses and they fit each person so well! Congratulations!

BurdaStyle Downloadable 703018