Online Sewing Class: Perfectly Fitted Shirt

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1014 (MISSES' DRESS)

Reviewed by:ssssdeb

About ssssdebstar
UT United States
Member since: 11/3/08
Posted on:8/21/10 3:05 PM
Last Updated:9/26/10 9:25 PM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 18 people
See other patterns in this category: Formalwear

Sweater knit fabrics

ssssdeb said... (7/2/13 3:15 AM) Reply
ticklememom: Keep at it. You have gone this far and you sound like you know what you are doing. I was just going through some old stuff and lo' and behold, I still have this dress. I thought I got rid of it. I know I got rid of the pattern. It's really pretty. I hate the way the zipper is at the top of the neckline still, and the gaping front slit but in a way I'm glad I saved it. Maybe I can figure out how to fix those two problems now that it's about 3 years later!!!
ticklememom said... (7/1/13 7:12 PM) Reply
Wish I had found this review before I started the dress. Another reviewer said to be sure to follow the markings. So true! There are so many marking...lg dots, sm dots, squares, triangles...that I tailor tacked them in different colors. That helped alot. The funky split in the front of the dress is making me crazy...will need to do some creative tacking. After trying to figure out the zipper directions, I finally ignored them because I know how to put in an invisible zipper. As soon as I ignored, it went right in. Fitting is a nightmare. Even though I used the correct size according to measurements, its too snug in the hips and hangs funny on the chest. Again more creativity required. If I hadn't already committed to this dress for my daughter's wedding, it would be history. I have more nightmares ahead because I will be traveling in SE Asia for 3 weeks prior to the wedding and expect that I will drop a few pounds before the big day. The only good news....I bought the pattern, fabric and lining on sale. Only have $35 invested but hours/days of my time. Still wondering if I should abort while I still have time. Part of me refuses to get 'beat' by this pattern.
Bethelain said... (3/6/13 10:49 PM) Reply
I just found this site, looking in particular for this pattern. this review is right on. i am making it right now and i am talented. i am so confused it's incredible! so if you love it, be careful. i do not recommend it either. thanks so much for the review and p.s. omit the zipper if at all possible.
ssssdeb said... (2/16/12 1:03 PM) Reply
I no longer have the dress. I hope yours turns out and the first fitting was eye opening for the dress maker.
westiefriend said... (2/15/12 8:33 PM) Reply
In case you wish to sell the dress. email me: westiefriend@comporium.net. I'm having a light lavender longer length one made - very expensive - and was disappointed at the first fitting! SK
Shiraazia said... (6/29/11 11:18 AM) Reply
I appreciate your honest review.I bought this pattern Last year(2010),thinking it looks so awesome.when I have cut out the pattern,I soon realised that it was going to be a nightmare sewing it.I was adviced to use jersey-type material.What a let down ;(
MNBarb said... (9/27/10 7:31 PM) Reply
The dress looks great on you! What a frustrating sewing experience. I agree that both the thumbs-up and thumbs-down reviews are very helpful.
mochimo said... (9/27/10 1:32 PM) Reply
What a pity this dress was a problem to wear. Because it looks gorgeous on you!
AuntieShel said... (9/27/10 10:50 AM) Reply
The dress looks great on you, so I was surprised to see "would not recommend." Understood when I read why! That's a shame, because it really is a beautiful dress that looks perfect on you. I totally understand, though, can't stand to have to fuss with my clothes.
MaryDB said... (9/27/10 2:48 AM) Reply
So sorry your experience was not pleasant. But - I must say, the dress looks terrific on you and your work looks faultless.
SusiM said... (9/27/10 0:46 AM) Reply
RE: your update. The dress looks very pretty on you, just to let you know. -But thank you for your insights and honesty about the pattern's shortcomings. That is what I appreciate about the reviews we post. I like functional fashion and fashion that doesn't require pain. It's helpful to know how styles actually perform when not on the runway. It is most satisfying to free oneself from a garment that is a pain-in-the-butt to wear. -To finally get rid of it! I would bet there's a lady who would be delighted to have it when you are done with it.
pammieh said... (9/26/10 10:50 PM) Reply
Wow! Awesome review and to be honest it looks great on you!
ssssdeb said... (8/22/10 6:40 PM) Reply
You are all so nice. Thank you. Right now I'm just glad it's done :) I will post a new picture later. But I still won't be sewing this one again.
ChristmasHills said... (8/22/10 0:46 AM) Reply
Beautiful. Just you wait til after that wedding. You will be floating on air with the compliments!!
AnneMarie60 said... (8/21/10 11:18 PM) Reply
Bless your heart! Sorry about the difficulties you encountered. However, I think the dress is quite lovely. I think you'll enjoy wearing the dress after you have time to recover from the agony you suffered while sewing it.
carolynw said... (8/21/10 10:02 PM) Reply
I know you had problems but this dress is beautiful -it looks so classy and fits perfectly - hope you will wear it lots -I am sure you'll get compliments!
Aixoise said... (8/21/10 9:07 PM) Reply
Your dress fits so well and is so becoming that maybe one day you'll discover that you like it despite the pattern challenges. Bravo for persevering!
moushka said... (8/21/10 8:20 PM) Reply
Sorry this was such an unsatisfying project but the results are lovely. You'll look terrific at the wedding. It's really a very flattering style and your wear it well.
eugenia123 said... (8/21/10 5:51 PM) Reply
Sounds like it was a bit of a nightmare to sew - but your finished version does look fabulous and it is a very striking and interesting style.
lesleysews said... (8/21/10 5:09 PM) Reply
I think it looks great and you did a good job I ams sure you will get many compliments
SusiM said... (8/21/10 5:05 PM) Reply
Wow..what a bummer. I really like the dress, though.
drsue said... (8/21/10 3:43 PM) Reply
Yikes! thanks for the heads up.

Burda 6933