Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 7726 (Tote bags and cell phone case)

Reviewed by:sailonsilvergirl

About sailonsilvergirlstar
Member since: 6/20/03
Posted on:5/25/04 10:55 PM
Last Updated:5/25/04 10:59 PM
Sew it seams said... (6/2/04 7:20 AM) Reply
What a great bag!! Your review is excellent and very helpful. Especially your tip on using the leather on the top side only of the handle. Besides making it sewable, it's a great looking detail.
sailonsilvergirl said... (5/31/04 8:09 AM) Reply
Thank you everyone for your nice comments! This is really encouraging & make me want to sew more so I can post more. Regarding the leather, I have leather needles and microtex needles which I think have been recommended for leather, but I used universal needles. The leather needles kept making the leather "jump" & skip. The universal needle (I have a multi-size pack & honestly didn't check size) worked BETTER than leather needle believe it or not. I'm not super informed of the effect of holes from various size needles in the leather & whether universal may weaken the leather. I'm planning to get Sandy Scrivano's book on sewing leather. Regarding where on eBay to get leather, I think if you search for leather remnants or "leather for sewing" -- some search term that would pull up leather that's not sewed already -- you'll find a lot of sellers. I've bought small pieces from leatherwise, & those are nice leathers & sized for tote bags and other smaller projects.
JDpenelope said... (5/28/04 5:54 AM) Reply
All of your touches are so thoughtful--you learned from past experience and made the most of it with this bag. I'm amazed that you got such good results with leather as a beginner--did you use a leather needle? Love the treble clef--but I think it's so clever and nice-- it should be on the outside!
Hilary said... (5/26/04 1:07 PM) Reply
what a beatiful bag! You can't possibly be a beginner, I would say you underestimate yourself! Your patience(slow sewing :o) ) has produced a really unique and wonderful tote I'm sure your parents will love. Thanks for the tip about the handle-looks really good!
Teri said... (5/26/04 9:26 AM) Reply
Great bag, great review! Thanks.
Liana said... (5/26/04 8:39 AM) Reply
Very cute. The lining with its personal touches is extra nice, and the key hook is a great idea.
debbie.w said... (5/26/04 8:32 AM) Reply
Your bag looks great! I sew bags also -- I'll have to try this pattern! : )
marya said... (5/26/04 8:13 AM) Reply
Great review. I love the treble clef, the thoughtful touches, and the really useful tips.
Danvillegirl said... (5/26/04 5:57 AM) Reply
Great looking bag. Your mother will just love this, I would!!! Great job and the review was very helpful. What site on eBay did you get the leather. Makes the bag look very professional.
noreend said... (5/26/04 5:27 AM) Reply
Gorgeous bag! Love the leather, but wonder if you had any trouble sewing it? I guess I should just try it too, then I'll know!
Katharine in BXL said... (5/26/04 5:18 AM) Reply
What an informative review! You sewed this thoughtfully and very well. Your mom will be honored, and thank you for sharing!
Katy M said... (5/26/04 2:49 AM) Reply
Wow this looks even better than the patter photo! I love the leather, it looks really professional. I hope your Mum loves it!
CatherineN said... (5/25/04 11:05 PM) Reply
This is a good looking, useful bag. I like the way you made the handles.

MariaDenmark 101