Online Sewing Class: Sewing Basics

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8552 (MISSES' DRESS)

Reviewed by:Sewing in the Wind

About Sewing in the Windstar
DC USA
Member since: 3/31/10
Posted on:8/29/10 5:31 PM
Last Updated:8/31/10 2:41 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 11 people
stitchywitch said... (9/13/10 2:51 AM) Reply
Sooo cute... I'm adding this to my queue right away!
Fenice Venezia said... (9/10/10 4:55 AM) Reply
Un joli tissu, de jolis plis, de jolies poches, de la simplicité mais néanmoins de l'élégance ! Toutes mes félicitations.
JEF said... (9/5/10 8:02 AM) Reply
Very striking!
The Funky Seamstress said... (9/1/10 11:43 PM) Reply
You're a beginner? Wow! Excellent job! Your topstitching is impeccable! I've been eyeing this pattern, and I really want to make it now! I love the pleats, and the big pockets. Cute!
narcissaqtpie said... (8/31/10 12:49 PM) Reply
Cute dress! Loved your review
annie11 said... (8/31/10 10:36 AM) Reply
Love your dress and your image of the french school teacher! I made this in the sleeveless version and it is one of my favorite summer dresses- always gets a compliment.
cindyann said... (8/31/10 9:24 AM) Reply
What a great dress! Very cute and you did a wonderful job on it.
optimistic said... (8/31/10 8:49 AM) Reply
OMGosh this dress looks much better than depicted on the pattern! Great Job! I love it! Now I want the pattern.
Auntie Allyn said... (8/31/10 8:31 AM) Reply
Wow, this is a really cute dress . . . much more attractive and fun-looking than it appears on the pattern! Thanks for a great review . . . I think I'll have to pick up this pattern.
Sewing in the Wind said... (8/31/10 2:45 AM) Reply
Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate all your comments. AuntieShel, if you can figure out that back tuck, I'd be all ears! And great prewashing tip for the linen, bellelass -- thanks.
AuntieShel said... (8/30/10 8:50 AM) Reply
You did a fabulous job on this dress, it is so adorable!! LOVE those pockets (although I do not need any added width at my hips.) Am going to go back and reread the instructions for those back pleats, as a few other reviewers have mentioned problems with them as well.
Rebecca D said... (8/30/10 6:56 AM) Reply
It's adorable and pockets on a dress, especially fab pockets like these, I love it.
Blooms said... (8/29/10 8:45 PM) Reply
Chic French school teacher indeed! I love this dress, and yours makes we want to sew it again in a linen.
JanieBee said... (8/29/10 8:29 PM) Reply
Terrific! Well done!
3HoursPast said... (8/29/10 6:40 PM) Reply
That's a really cool little dress. A tip for working with linen- pre-wash it three or four times, letting it dry between washes. That softens the fibers and rather than creasing with wear, it gently rumples or doesn't bother wrinkling at all.
ginnie.wise said... (8/29/10 6:14 PM) Reply
I think this is so adorable. You're right - very Project Runway! :) The color is great and the solid really shows off the architecture of the dress. Super cute!
Athene said... (8/29/10 5:51 PM) Reply
This is a very nice dress - The fabric, color, large pockets - all very attractive.

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Sew Chic Valentine Slip Pattern (ln1207)

Pamela's Patterns Softly Pleated Dress Pattern