Online Sewing Class: Fit the Tee to a T

Pattern Reviews> Material Things> 108 (Fearless Fitted Jacket & Vest)

Reviewed by:Kay Y

Sweater knit fabrics

Paganoonoo

Upcycle sewing patterns

grey ann said... (8/30/11 9:29 AM) Reply
Kay,a truly beautiful jacket. But I am wondering why you chose Material Things in the first place. You have such a thin physique! Speaking as one of those 'mature' figures - the big 4 NEVER work for us - yes, we are thicker thru the middle, butour shoulders haven't grown wider, and that's the void Cecelia is trying to address. I'm wondering, that if you had started with a Vogue pattern, designed for that size 10 figure, if you would have had fewer fit problems. In any event, the jacket looks stunning on you. Great job.
mesewlot said... (3/28/11 4:50 AM) Reply
Beautifully done~ I agree, youmust be so proud of your accomplishments!!
VirginiasDghter said... (3/26/11 5:08 PM) Reply
Now this......is a review! Wow! What a gorgeous jacket. It looks soooo soft and just perfect on you! You did a wonderful job on this and such a thorough review too! NICE JOB!
Raye Ann said... (3/25/11 0:33 AM) Reply
Absoutely impeccable. Perfection in leather!
Catbird said... (3/23/11 8:31 PM) Reply
This is a masterpiece. Your work is phenomenal. You'll be able to wear this for years and years to come. What an accomplishment! Thank you for documenting every step.
ClioBklyn said... (3/23/11 3:56 PM) Reply
Wow - what a sleek, chic and stunning jacket!
Fashionable Stitcher said... (3/23/11 9:49 AM) Reply
It's simply stunning and I really admire anyone who works with leather! It looks so fabulous on you too! Gorgeous color of leather as well! xoxo, Sunni
mssewcrazy said... (3/23/11 6:31 AM) Reply
Awesome jacket!
Cathy Loves Fabric said... (3/23/11 2:40 AM) Reply
I am drooling at the sleek, rich perfection that is your leather jacket. Definitely a work of art.
JillyBe said... (3/23/11 1:45 AM) Reply
*thud* Stunning! Can I come be your apprentice?
sew2little said... (3/23/11 0:43 AM) Reply
Kay--amazing, inspirational, awe-inspiring--these adjectives describe both the jacket and you. Marci
Twinset said... (3/22/11 9:54 PM) Reply
Boy, this jacket is H-O-T and you look so fantastic in it!!!
madronadesign said... (3/22/11 9:24 PM) Reply
This is the best thing I've seen on PR ever - and that's facing some stiff competition from your other garments! just gorgeous.
madronadesign said... (3/22/11 9:24 PM) Reply
Lori V said... (3/22/11 9:19 PM) Reply
This is an amazing jacket.
janet said... (3/21/11 7:34 PM) Reply
PERFECTION!
Mahler said... (3/21/11 12:49 PM) Reply
Amazing review and blog and sewing and jacket and extraordinary sewist. You should enter your jacket in an international sewing countest... don't know where but your should
Q Valley Mary said... (3/21/11 11:43 AM) Reply
What a wonderful jacket! The care you put into all your work really paid off here. It's leather, it's classic, and you'll be able to wear it forever, so all that time and effort was really worth it.
Julia C said... (3/21/11 11:04 AM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket!
Barbara V said... (3/21/11 10:04 AM) Reply
Fabulous! Great effort and results. The class sounded wonderful. Thank you for posting pictures of you wearing it. What a perfect fit!
Michele Lommasson said... (3/21/11 8:33 AM) Reply
I absolutely love your jacket. Thank you for the very thorough review and the documentation of your process. This jacket was clearly worth the effort!
Peggy L said... (3/21/11 7:01 AM) Reply
Stunning!
Danvillegirl said... (3/21/11 5:29 AM) Reply
Great looking jacket. Your patience and persistence paid off!
Athene said... (3/21/11 1:32 AM) Reply
A beautiful jacket. Always love your meticulous attention to every detail.
Terri A said... (3/21/11 1:07 AM) Reply
Very fabulous! I am in awe.
Scheri said... (3/20/11 11:54 PM) Reply
Thank you for this incredible learning experience your journey, blog and review have provided. This jacket is just beautiful. Wear it with great pride.
SewWil said... (3/20/11 8:12 PM) Reply
WOW!!! This is a gorgeous jacket. Great job! Your hard work comes through in the final product. It looks amazing.
Kathy in NM said... (3/20/11 8:03 PM) Reply
This is a beautiful jacket! All of your hard work and time really shows in the final product. Enjoy wearing this!
sometime said... (3/20/11 7:53 PM) Reply
Nevermind the jacket...It's to you that "Fearless" applies. Unbelieveable fit and journey to get there. Congratulations...I love your reviews and choices immensely, but this tops them all.
DorothyK said... (3/20/11 7:04 PM) Reply
This jacket is awesome. Absolutely beautiful style and workmanship. Can't wait to see it on you.
carolynw said... (3/20/11 6:22 PM) Reply
Beautiful end result !! You have all the patience I lost but boy does it ever pay off in spades to keep at aproject until finally you can say - "achieved" with pride.
SexiSadi said... (3/20/11 6:08 PM) Reply
Your jacket is absolutly gorgeous.
FreyaStark said... (3/20/11 5:06 PM) Reply
A magnificent effort. I am deeply impressed.
Ericaeli said... (3/20/11 5:01 PM) Reply
Wow! This is such a nice jacket. Thank you for all the information your provided in your review.
Aixoise said... (3/20/11 4:51 PM) Reply
Stunning jacket. Thanks for the sizing info on the patterns. I've been curious about her line. You certainly made it work for you. Impeccable fit and workmanship.
Christas said... (3/20/11 4:42 PM) Reply
Adjectives fail me! This jacket is absolutely PERFECT. I called my husband to the computer and he could not believe someone actually made a jacket that nice on their own sewing machine. You must be so proud of your accomplishment. Simply amazing.
KarmenG said... (9/19/10 8:07 PM) Reply
Holy Cow! What a lot of adjustments. It is looking good.... you are an inspiration to those of us less focused! ; )
Annette1 said... (9/19/10 0:31 AM) Reply
Now THAT'S what I call progress! This is looking SO nice, and it's just a muslin!
mylittleelephant said... (9/18/10 3:19 PM) Reply
I am always, always, grateful for you to show us your work in progress in such a detail with photos.
layla said... (9/18/10 2:52 PM) Reply
Perfect .. I love it !
marjenann said... (9/18/10 7:20 AM) Reply
Wow! This jacket is going to be a spectactular piece!! My mouth is watering already!!!
Athene said... (9/17/10 11:21 PM) Reply
Always fascinating to read - #2 muslin is definitely much better - am eager to see once you raise the armholes - definitely enjoy reading your work in progress.
Sew4Fun said... (9/17/10 10:28 PM) Reply
Kay, I'm following your progress of this jacket with extreme interest. I have an identical RTW jacket I love that I'd like to copy. However, like you I'm not the body shape these patterns are drafted for. Your second muslin is looking very promising.
Karine said... (9/7/10 9:03 AM) Reply
The good news is that it looks like a really good fit in the shoulders and upper torso. I would always opt to make alterations below my armpits. I think you're going to have a beautiful jacket - can't wait to see it in leather. Hopefully, too, a well-fitting pattern you can use again after all of your efforts.
Mahler said... (9/7/10 8:21 AM) Reply
You are on the right way... Well I could you not ? You have so much experience.
susiestitcher said... (9/7/10 7:16 AM) Reply
Your alterations look great so far. You might compare your altered pieces with the smaller size from the pattern to see how they correlate. But...it looks like you were able to pin yourself into a great fit regardless. Can't wait to see the finished jacket.
marec said... (9/6/10 7:59 PM) Reply
I am looking forward to seeing your progress, and the beautiful jacket when done. That green jacket is stunning.
carolynw said... (9/6/10 4:18 PM) Reply
Oh dear Kay - you do have your work cut out here and showing a remarkable amount of patience. Having seen Kathryn's jacket on you in Montreal I am wondering how much alterations she also had to do - your body frames are somewhat similar although you are smaller. It will be wonderful to see the final results - rooting for you!!
Annette1 said... (9/6/10 4:02 PM) Reply
Geez ... you sure you don't want to just buy a leather jacket -- ha! Of course, it wouldn't be NEARLY as nice as YOURS will be when you're finished. I admire your perseverance. And did I mention, I HATE low armholes? They qualify as a pet peeve, in fact. :o) I can't wait to see your finished jacket.
Athene said... (9/6/10 2:38 PM) Reply
Well if anyone can make it work, I know you can. It sure is going to be a lot of work. If you do want to look at another option there is McCalls 6171 that is similar (except for the collar) and starts at a size 4 wth different cup sizes - Karen6790 did a review of the McCalls Jacket. I always enjoy your reviews.
Liana said... (9/6/10 2:23 PM) Reply
It kind of looks like you're having to grade it down to your size. I think it's going to be great when you get it done, and in the leather, but what a lot of extra work you weren't planning on.
MNBarb said... (9/6/10 2:00 PM) Reply
If anyone can make this work, it's you. I love the lines of this jacket and can't wait to see it in leather.

Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS
Fun with Fitting - SKIRTS

Self Drafted Pattern 000

by: velosewer

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Jamie Christina Hooded Scarf Pattern (JC307HS)

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)

Jamie Christina Palooza Apron Pattern (JC309PA)