Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1209 (Monaco Shell)

Reviewed by:jlg

About jlgstarstarstarstar
Member since: 3/5/03
Posted on:5/31/04 7:07 AM

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 4 people

SewTabby said... (6/1/04 11:39 AM) Reply
Beautiful top and gorgeous fabric--looks like it was made just for you :)
GorgeousFabrics said... (6/1/04 7:12 AM) Reply
Ooooh, pretty pretty pretty! I love the fabric. I think I'll have to try this one! -Ann
Danvillegirl said... (6/1/04 5:42 AM) Reply
Top looks great and fits you very well. I like reading that it has a high armhole, most patterns are always to low for me, so this makes it to my got to try it list.
jlg said... (5/31/04 7:35 PM) Reply
Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. Don't think that I'm not considering that coverstitch machine, Mary Beth. I have a serger, but it's a cheapy without many options. I'm thinking Christmas may be the soonest that I can justify any more big purchases. Mini, thanks for reminding me about alternative stitches.
Mini said... (5/31/04 2:01 PM) Reply
This top seems to work for everyone! One of the things I like best about Textile Studio patterns is that they don't have excess fabric in the upper chest, and usually have a good fit in the shoulders. Regarding the wrong side topstitching, this is done so that you can see if the hem allowance is being caught in the topstitching. Sometimes this won't be noticed until the hem is finshed, if done from the right side. However, the right way is whatever you prefer:). If your sewing machine has stretch and decorative stitches, it worth experimenting on a sample swatch-some of those stitches make excellent hems and topstitching on knits even though though the machine manual may not tell you that.
layla said... (5/31/04 10:29 AM) Reply
An interesting twist on a classic. Looks a cut above the average shell and great on you !
Modiste Madness said... (5/31/04 10:11 AM) Reply
You are quite the productive sewer. Your attention to detail will do two things for you: drive you insane and help you create well constructed garments that look great. We are an obsessed lot aren't we? I love your yard also. Seeing it is an added bonus to all the wonderful things you sew.
Sew it seams said... (5/31/04 10:01 AM) Reply
Your top is really cute!
Tee Jay said... (5/31/04 9:29 AM) Reply
So cute, jlg! I think I need this pattern, too.
MaryBeth said... (5/31/04 9:14 AM) Reply
You can call this an afternoon delight, then! Looks darling. If you're going to sew knits and want more finished edges an overlocker or serger just might be in your best interests. You'd love being able to have those seams nicely stitched together. But then there's the question of the coverstitch-separate machine???? or not???? That's the stretchiest hemming technique I've found. Go, jlg!
Gigi Louis said... (5/31/04 8:29 AM) Reply
Wow, this top looks really great on you! I often topstitch from the wrong side and tighten my top tension by one number.
Deepika said... (5/31/04 7:21 AM) Reply
Very cute top JLG. As usual another winner from you!

Burda 9474

by: Kaysee

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Paradiso Designs Xine Basket Bag Pattern

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)

Sew Chic Starter Skirt Pattern (ln1000)