Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 8653 (Misses' Jacket)

Reviewed by:Ann Smith

About Ann Smithstarstarstarstar
Posted on:9/9/10 9:37 PM
Last Updated:9/9/10 9:51 PM

See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
miausiau said... (11/29/12 12:46 PM) Reply
I made this up and it's all over me like a cheap suit! Unwearable, but the good news is having omitted the back seam I can re cut into something else.
gabrielle stanley said... (5/28/11 9:40 PM) Reply
I have just had a go at making this, and have run across something I am concerned about. I was wondering if you encountered this too, or whether it is only on the L/XL? The curve on the longer edge of the sleeve/side piece does not match where the curve is on the body. Did you just sew around this anyway, or is the S/M different?
essareff said... (5/7/11 3:17 PM) Reply
Thank you very much. I am starting to make it today.
grey ann said... (9/12/10 10:34 AM) Reply
Thank you, Ann, for reviewing unusual patterns for us! You really do them justice!
AuntieShel said... (9/11/10 5:20 PM) Reply
Your jacket looks fabulous on you, every which way!! Thank you so much for the tip on laying out the pattern. I'm sure it will save a lot of people from tearing their hair out.
AMarie said... (9/11/10 12:07 PM) Reply
Wow! I can't get over how versatile this jacket is; just depending on which way you wear it. You did such a beautiful job with it too.
sfshaza said... (9/10/10 1:30 PM) Reply
This jacket really works! So pretty in this fabric! I am now considering making it. :)
janet said... (9/10/10 12:00 PM) Reply
Gorgeous jacket! Outstanding execution! You have out done yourself once again. You are an inspiration to us all.
DorothyK said... (9/10/10 10:40 AM) Reply
You did a great job on this jacket. I must say, your version is much nicer than the picture on the envelope. Your solutions to the various problems served to make the piece more interesting. Great choice of fabric. Your review is a must for anyone else making this pattern.
Patti B said... (9/10/10 10:11 AM) Reply
Ann, so glad that you led the way in sewing this pattern. It's classy and gorgeous -- great save on the back. The rayon jersey may have been part of the problem as I have a rayon jersey Barcelona dress that grew so much I had to cut off 4 inches -- 6 months after it was finished! It just kept growing...
lesliez said... (9/10/10 9:16 AM) Reply
Beautiful jacket. Thanks for the helpful explanations on what seemed to be a mystery pattern.
missyyz said... (9/10/10 8:43 AM) Reply
I totally love this jacket. It's casual but classy, and looks beautifully constructed.
carolynw said... (9/10/10 8:37 AM) Reply
Another great winner for you Ann- love the save you made at the back seam - really does add an interesting detail. Thanks for the heads up about the grain line!!
Diane333 said... (9/10/10 8:10 AM) Reply
You made a marvelous jacket and your skills are outstanding to detail and adjust the pattern to your fit.
marjenann said... (9/10/10 8:07 AM) Reply
Wow!! What a fabulous jacket!! It looks amazing and oh so fashion forward. I am making this one for sure and rereading your wonderful review before I begin!! Thanks so much for sharing!
Rebecca D said... (9/10/10 6:53 AM) Reply
I so appreciate your thorough review of this one. What a dynamite fabric for this jacket, it's stunning.
Annette1 said... (9/9/10 11:51 PM) Reply
Geez, I didn't like this pattern AT ALL when it came out. I thought the gray one just looked CHEAP in the picture, but YOUR jacket is a work of art. I love it upside-down. and the RUCHING detail is SO CUTE!
GoSewGirl said... (9/9/10 11:38 PM) Reply
Great jacket and great save! I like the added back detail. it turned out great. Thank you for the warning about the back seam / grainline issue. I have this pattern, and now I will know to cut it with the stretch crosswise.
marthamyers said... (9/9/10 10:58 PM) Reply
Wow! You took a pattern with some serious flaws and morphed it into a stand-out, charming and unique look. Simply amazing.
Barbara V said... (9/9/10 10:40 PM) Reply
So interesting with four ways to wear it especially with your fabric choice showing nice contrasts. So sorry that you had to deal with all of that stretching, but you creatively and brilliantly made it work. It looks great on you.
AnneMarie60 said... (9/9/10 10:18 PM) Reply
You did an amazing job on this fabulous jacket, but the whole thing blows my mind! My hat is off to you for figuring out this pattern and executing it so successfully!

by: becca a