Pattern Reviews> McCall's> 6383 (1978 Western Shirt)

Reviewed by:Peter in NYC

About Peter in NYCstarstarstarstar
USA
Member since: 6/9/09
Posted on:9/22/10 9:26 PM

Hilary said... (10/14/10 9:27 AM) Reply
Nice shirt! I like the this in the solid-even though I live in the self-named "Cowboy Capital of the World" (lol!) I still like the subtle version, too :o) My Mom sews on a treadle machine too (though she has a Bernina 817 that I learned on still) and she loves it. Its WAY harder than it looks!
JETrinity said... (10/6/10 2:37 PM) Reply
I just can not believe you sewed this wonderful Western Shirt on a treadle machine. What great fit and topstitching. Drop the word "beginner" out of "Advanced beginner".
SisterBelle said... (9/25/10 10:59 AM) Reply
I believe that treadle machine has found a good home! Don't you just love the fit of a good cowboy shirt.
pammieh said... (9/24/10 8:42 PM) Reply
Peter - as usual you are incredible! I can't wait to see how the suit turns out!
AuntieShel said... (9/23/10 7:37 PM) Reply
Faulous shirt, Peter--professionally executed!!! Btw, how do you like that treadle machine? :)
ggf2005 said... (9/23/10 7:23 PM) Reply
great job Peter! You have great sewing skills!
mssewcrazy said... (9/23/10 4:30 PM) Reply
Love the shirt- I really like it all one color. What a guilt trip for those of us whose husbands like wearing these and gee sewed on a treadle no less. I have to post quick and click off this review in case he comes through the room. He would start bugging me for a shirt LOl!
RLL said... (9/23/10 3:25 PM) Reply
A treadle? Really? What next? I always seem to be asking you that question. Great looking shirt....as usual!
lynne1nor said... (9/23/10 12:28 PM) Reply
Lovely shirt Peter! Can't believe you used a treadle machine - nice going!
Jill Giard said... (9/23/10 9:41 AM) Reply
Beautiful job! I love the fabric choice - makes for a very sophisticated take on the 'cowboy' shirt.
voet said... (9/23/10 8:36 AM) Reply
Great job as usual, Peter. I love making western shirts. It is one of the few opportunities to do something a bit more creative with men's wear that still looks masculine.
Paris75008 said... (9/23/10 6:52 AM) Reply
Oh, brilliant! Great shirt and what even, straight seams. I've sewn on a treadle machine in the past and I can appreciate the skill it takes to have produced that lovely shirt. Well done!
FreyaStark said... (9/23/10 4:55 AM) Reply
Yes, a very nice shirt. Well done. I love the fabric. A friendly suggestion, if I may: when a fabric contains both white and another colour, I find that using a coloured thread for topstitching looks more distinctive and dashing than white, which can look ordinary.
Mazzygirl said... (9/23/10 4:22 AM) Reply
oh Peter, you've done it again! excellent workmanship, great style & fit, and on a treadle too! I totally agree with with everyone else - time for a promotion!
ted golden said... (9/23/10 2:59 AM) Reply
perfect job
marec said... (9/23/10 0:17 AM) Reply
Very nice western style shirt. You are welcome to come out west and go for a trail ride with me.
Mirakel said... (9/23/10 0:03 AM) Reply
Agreed, time to move up from "advanced beginner" (you give us a bad name! :-) Anyone who is working the treadle machine is beyond... The shirt looks great, and great on you!
dilucentelj said... (9/22/10 11:13 PM) Reply
Peter, your workmanship and tailoring scream "I'm not an advanced beginner anymore". I've read most (if not all) of your reviews; I envy your talent. Great work!
Annette1 said... (9/22/10 10:48 PM) Reply
Oh, I LOVE this shirt! I'm a SUCKER for western shirts anyway, and yours has turned out SO nicely, every little detail. :o) My grandmother had a treadle machine, and I believe my aunt now has it. I can remember Grandmother taking in my jeans on that machine when I was in college. :o)
Elke said... (9/22/10 10:47 PM) Reply
Good looking shirt...great fit too!
Peter in NYC said... (9/22/10 10:06 PM) Reply
Marjorie, I should have mentioned: I used the Dritz snaps, no buttonholes. My machine uses those old-fashioned feet that screw in from the back instead of the side; the old Singer buttonholers I'm familiar with wouldn't work. No matter: I have other old Singers I use for buttonholes.
Sweetsong said... (9/22/10 9:56 PM) Reply
Your shirt looks really good! Great details and looks good on you. LOL @ marjorie--I made a shirt similar to that for my then boyfriend in 1975. (I was 15 or 16) Embroidered (hand of course) the yokes and even used the mother-of-pearl snaps.
marjoriekh said... (9/22/10 9:43 PM) Reply
The shirt looks great! Can't quite believe you sewed it on a treadle machine. Buttonholes, too? This shirt brings back memories -- I sewed it, or one almost identical, for my older brother in 1978; he was a junior and I a sophomore in high school. I made it with a contrast yoke, and those mother-of-pearl-look snaps. And he wore it. A lot. Even to school. Because he loved me. (And he looked good in it.) The pattern still looks good, and doesn't scream "Hi-ho, Silver!" to me.

Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick SB300