Online Sewing Class: Pattern Work

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1437 (Tamotsu Career Wardrobe)

Reviewed by:Lisa Laree

About Lisa Lareestarstarstarstar
AL USA
Posted on:6/5/04 1:31 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 5 people
Lisa Laree said... (6/7/04 8:34 AM) Reply
Georgene, I'm 5'4", and the finished skirt is 22 1/2" from the top of the waistband to the bottom of the hem. I think I've got proportionately slightly short legs, just based on the way clothes fit in general...I haven't done one of P&P's 'Body Map' things to prove it, though.
Georgene said... (6/7/04 1:26 AM) Reply
Lisa, I find the skirt length very flattering. I wish I could find a shorter length that looked so well on me. What is your height and the finished skirt length? Just to get an idea of the proportion....
Lisa Laree said... (6/6/04 5:22 PM) Reply
Thanks for the heads up, Linda. I just tried to access Photoworks and they are apparently having some technical difficulties; I couldn't even log on to the site. Hope they get it cleared up soon... If it takes them too long I'll put one of the three photos in my PR album
Danvillegirl said... (6/6/04 4:29 PM) Reply
Could not access your photo. Not sure why. But would love to see this. I love Tamatsu style. I am surely it is lovely on you. Good review.
Rhonda Noah said... (6/6/04 9:05 AM) Reply
This is a great look for business or any event where you need to look polished. Your outfit turned out really well. I have a Tamotsu pattern I hope to make a work wardrobe with and your reviews are very helpful to me! Thanks! Oh, and I think the skirt length looks great. Just below the knee wouldn't be as good IMO.
MaryBeth said... (6/6/04 8:39 AM) Reply
I'd bet the jacket is oversized through the shoulders so it would fit over the top. Those shoulders aren't as wide as I remember the "line backer" era's were, in fact this balances out your figger very nicely. I like the cardigan look and with the skirt this is very business casual. You look great!
PixieCat said... (6/6/04 8:34 AM) Reply
What an elegant suit! I'm marking this one as a keeper!!
Tini said... (6/6/04 8:11 AM) Reply
Really great looking suit!
layla said... (6/5/04 10:12 PM) Reply
Thannnns for the Review Your Outfit is Very Flattering on You !! I Love this Classic Pattern. ...Thanks for Reminding me of This One !!
layla said... (6/5/04 10:08 PM) Reply
Thanks for the Review. Your Outfit is Very Flattering on You !! I Love this Classic Pattern. ...Thanks for Reminding me of This One !!
Lisa Laree said... (6/5/04 9:12 PM) Reply
Ordinarily, it works if I cut a size 8 through the shoulders, even though my full bust measures between a 14 and 16 according to the back of the envelope. I think, in this case, the jacket is just designed to be big (it does say 'extended shoulders'). I checked the copyright date, thinking this might be one of those patterns still in the book from the 'linebacker shoulders' days of the early 90's, but the date on my pattern envelope is 2001. It really is reminiscent of the really wide shoulders of 15 or so years ago. I *would* say I wouldn't wear them again, but not so awfully long ago I said I'd never wear a skirt above my knees again, too! ;)
Teri said... (6/5/04 7:48 PM) Reply
Your skirt lenght rocks! A very sharp looking suit.
Elemenopeo said... (6/5/04 7:26 PM) Reply
This looks really nice on you. I like the skirt length on you too.
Mini said... (6/5/04 6:44 PM) Reply
That skirt length really suits you-sassy but nice for business wear too. Re the jacket: Vogue tops always seem oversized to me. Vogue recommends using your upper chest measurement for figures larger than B cup, but I think most women get a better fit in Vogue by doing this.
Lgreen said... (6/5/04 4:26 PM) Reply
You did a lovely job on the jacket, especially with the band around the front. It's a very classic look and is a nice change of pace from the standard notch lapels jackets I usually make for work.
Levone said... (6/5/04 3:51 PM) Reply
Your suit looks very good on you.
CarolynGM said... (6/5/04 2:08 PM) Reply
Good job Lisa, great looking suit! I've had this pattern for years and made most of the pieces. I do recall that the vest was quite large in the upper chest and above -- so large that my DD wouldn't wear the one that I made for her. I do love this pattern -- it so classic.
Jennifer shaw said... (6/5/04 1:43 PM) Reply
Lisa, your ensemble looks so lovely on you!

Victoria Jones Collection Men's Classic Hawaiian Businessman's Aloha Shirt