Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5425 ( MISSES'/MISSES' PETITE COAT)

Reviewed by:TanitIsis

About TanitIsisstar
Member since: 3/17/10
Posted on:10/3/10 2:16 PM
Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 13 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket    Outerwear
emilythecrafty said... (8/6/13 12:02 PM) Reply
Lovely job! The coat looks great on you. I enjoyed reading about your process and struggles on your blog. Thanks!
Karen Easter said... (9/6/12 11:39 PM) Reply
So... TanitIsis, how did the coat work for the Canadian winter? I went looking for your review because I think I'm finally going to sew this pattern, and yours was so beautiful!
SplendidColors said... (2/22/12 3:10 AM) Reply
This coat is sooo gorgeous! If I didn't already have an ankle-length wool peacoat, I'd make it in wool. But I need a lighter weight raincoat and just got 9 yards of taffeta-like water resistant fabric from Fashion Fabric Club. Do the more experienced seamstresses here think this would work in a lightweight fabric?
Cormo said... (4/9/11 11:50 AM) Reply
This is a fantastic coat for you! I love the wool. I think that I would try to interface the coat instead of that front facing. I'd like to make that coat for me. However, I am only 5'1" tall. I think it would be a lot of material for my height. Yes, I love the boots and the scarf with this. Very Chic! Keep challenging yourself with "new for you" patterns. Way to go!
TanitIsis said... (11/18/10 12:38 PM) Reply
Mieuw, I worked *very* slowly on this coat, so I wouldn't take my time-frame as standard; I did a muslin back in the spring, cut it out in August, and did most of my sewing over the course of September (interrupted by various other projects). If you are working steadily, I think you could have it done in under a month, even at just a few hours a day.
theroadtohobbiton said... (11/5/10 9:42 AM) Reply
Wow - gorgeous! Enjoy!
Mieuw said... (10/31/10 11:56 AM) Reply
I love this pattern, you did a wonderful job! I have just ordered it and I'm waiting for it's delivery. Do you have any idea how long it took before the coat was completely finished? Since I would like to have mine finished before the real cold of the winter comes... Preferably before the beginning of December. Unfortunately, I don't have that many hours a week that I can spend on it...
ladylola said... (10/5/10 7:32 AM) Reply
Your hard work was worth it, it's an amazing coat!
CCQ said... (10/4/10 1:59 PM) Reply
It's stunning! And the scarf looks great with it too.
TanitIsis said... (10/4/10 10:03 AM) Reply
@ Karen Easter: you have sharp eyes! ;). It did end up shorter at the front; I had some problems sewing the front and facings together evenly, due in part to my interfacing screw-up and in part to general incompetence, and wound up thinking the front was two inches longer, trimming it, then discovering I had somehow stretched the front piece, ripping it out, re-sewing, and having to trim the facing in turn. I was not a happy camper for several days. ;). So the pattern itself is pretty even all around. @Marec---LOL I only just screwed up my courage and switched it up from "Advanced Beginner"! @ everyone else---again, thanks so much!
Athene said... (10/4/10 1:29 AM) Reply
Wonderful coat - really enjoyed your blog.
marec said... (10/3/10 11:58 PM) Reply
OMG, you look fantastic in this coat. Time to change your rating from intermediate!
Karen Easter said... (10/3/10 10:40 PM) Reply
I LOVE it! I've got this pattern and am trying to work up the nerve to sew it. Is it my imagination, or is it longer in the back than in the front? I love the way the hemline flows.
Gordita1616 said... (10/3/10 10:14 PM) Reply
WOW! What a stunning coat.
TanitIsis said... (10/3/10 10:14 PM) Reply
Thank you all! It was a lot of work, but I'm so excited to have it this winter. dfr2010, I look forward to seeing your version!
Elke said... (10/3/10 9:51 PM) Reply
Gorgeous coat and great style!
drsue said... (10/3/10 8:59 PM) Reply
Very impressive. Nice work!
AuntieShel said... (10/3/10 8:25 PM) Reply
What a beautiful coat!!
dfr2010 said... (10/3/10 8:20 PM) Reply
I snagged this pattern as soon as it went on sale after seeing it, and am working up the nerve to go at it. I have a month or two here ... as long as it's done for January. Yours is absolutely lovely, and an inspiration!
Tailypo said... (10/3/10 7:00 PM) Reply
Love! Love and want!! I think it is really for the best, having this coat so closely-fitted in the bodice. You need to play off the incredible volume of the bottom. "100% Fibre" is killing me by the way -- as if you wondered some percentage of the fabric might in fact be, say, string cheese. Anyway, your coat is gorge. WEll worth the effort.
Jill Giard said... (10/3/10 5:50 PM) Reply
Very nice! I love this style.
The Funky Seamstress said... (10/3/10 5:40 PM) Reply
Beautiful coat! I think your coat should get you through the winter. As a fellow Albertan who has also made a wool coat, I can say that with your flannel backed lining, interlining, and long skirt, you will be plenty toasty.
delfinelise said... (10/3/10 3:20 PM) Reply
It looks great, I love the full skirt on this coat, Im looking for something like this! Great review and great job!
no7262 said... (10/3/10 3:11 PM) Reply
Christina W said... (10/3/10 2:25 PM) Reply
Gorgeous - very much worth all your time and effort!!
All About Linings