Online Sewing Class: Altering Jackets

Pattern Reviews> Vogue Patterns> 1213 (Misses' Coat)

Reviewed by:sfshaza

About sfshazastar
Member since: 9/12/07
Posted on:10/21/10 5:22 PM
Last Updated:10/21/10 5:48 PM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular

Review Rating: Helpful by 3 people    Very Helpful by 35 people
See other patterns in this category: Coat/Jacket
Monabel said... (3/20/11 10:46 AM) Reply
Your modifications inspired me to make this, all in a dark green wool, fully lined, and without the buttonholes. I just love the result, and thank you for showing the way!
Ecrulace said... (2/15/11 8:14 AM) Reply
I actually prefer this look to the one shown on the pattern envelope... but then the pic on the pattern might be fun to make too!
JillyBe said... (11/6/10 6:23 PM) Reply
I'm one of the weird few who has been intrigued by this pattern since first look (although I wouldn't make or wear it as is either) - thank you for taking the leap & sewing your version; it looks fabulous!
Pattern Junkie said... (11/6/10 10:35 AM) Reply
Love love LOVE it! Off to check out your blog!
cgHipp said... (11/6/10 8:44 AM) Reply
I just saw this review, and since I'm the one who dubbed it the "Stegosaurus Coat," I have to chime in and eat my words (as I knew I eventually would have to) and say you did a fabulous job interpreting this pattern! Your version is just the way I would like to make it, using the pattern for its texture and making the scallops flat. Because you mentioned you're going to do another version with contrast fabrics, I'm wondering what it would look like to have tiny contract piping along the scalloped edge, or to make that edge two-layered with a contrast border showing. But I adore the one-color version you made and it most definitely does NOT look like a craft project - it looks fabulous!
PattyU said... (11/5/10 10:56 AM) Reply
Wow! I love this on you. You did a great job.
Hilary said... (11/4/10 9:14 AM) Reply
What a fantastic coat! It looks great on you and you do amazing work :o)
noodlesew said... (10/28/10 10:02 PM) Reply
Love the denim take... and the flat scallops. I fell in love with the pattern at first sight! Now I see this review, I can't wait to start sewing.
Restart06 said... (10/24/10 3:51 PM) Reply
Absolutely gorgeous! I loved this pattern when I saw it, but haven't been anywhere to purchase it. Thanks and enjoy!
spiritualfashionista said... (10/23/10 9:29 PM) Reply
Great job! I love the way it turned out and that you used only one fabric. I can't wait to see your version with the multiple fabrics. This will have to be on my to do list, because this is a coat that one could love for a long time.
Karendee said... (10/23/10 7:46 PM) Reply
You are just amazing in every way. This coat is so trendy and well thought out.
Barbara V said... (10/23/10 6:01 PM) Reply
Wow, wow, wow! I love your version. It looks fabulous and fits you perfectly. Well done!
yummymummy38 said... (10/23/10 6:54 AM) Reply
looks fabulous, original and a lot of work, especially the scallops. Congrats!
Susee said... (10/22/10 7:57 PM) Reply
You did what Koos van den Akker should have done to begin with. You made it both beautiful and wearable. I love the stegasaurus stuff topstitched down and your choice of denim. It looks fabulous on you!
Kathy in NM said... (10/22/10 4:23 PM) Reply
What a great coat! When I saw this pattern I thought of dinosaur ridges.... I love how you folded them down and topstitched!!!
nancy2001 said... (10/22/10 12:30 PM) Reply
Wow! This is simply amazing!
Catbird said... (10/22/10 9:24 AM) Reply
You've done an amazing job on this, transforming an almost too distinctive coat into something so wearable and cool I'll bet you don't want to take it off! You must be flooded with compliments when you wear this. I love it and also love your enthusiasm for it. What a great review!
Andreahg said... (10/22/10 9:03 AM) Reply
Your coat is BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Erica B. said... (10/22/10 9:01 AM) Reply
I didn't think it could be done. But you really made that coat look fabulous! Beautiful job!
Erica B. said... (10/22/10 9:01 AM) Reply
Morisot said... (10/22/10 8:47 AM) Reply
Fabulous interpretation. Looks great.
betty bushwacker said... (10/22/10 8:34 AM) Reply
speechless! Love it! Should I.....??
Tarrbaby said... (10/22/10 7:22 AM) Reply

Tarrbaby said... (10/22/10 7:22 AM) Reply
WOW-this coat pattern was on my must buy list and wasn't sure I would do anything with it other than collect it, but now it's on my must sew list. Fantastic Job.
lamstu said... (10/22/10 4:53 AM) Reply
I liked this coat in the catalogue (although maybe not to wear) and I like your version too. Really inspired use of pattern, fabric, and workmanship combine for a wearable, one-of-a-kind piece. Thanks for explaining your FBA process - starting to get my head around this myself and I think you've added another part of the puzzle!
joanico said... (10/22/10 3:52 AM) Reply
OMG!!! I love it! What a wonderful coat!
lesliez said... (10/22/10 1:45 AM) Reply
Fantastic! I love all the changes you made. It looks great in a single fabric. Can't wait to see what you do with it for coat number 2.
Annette1 said... (10/22/10 0:44 AM) Reply
GREAT coat! I loved this pattern the MINUTE I saw it, and sat here like a HAWK waiting for the next Vogue sale so I could add it to my collection. Your coat is an INSPIRATION! :o)
dingyadi said... (10/22/10 0:04 AM) Reply
Fantastic! It looks fabulous. The Vogue version was a bit offputting but you obviously saw past that to great lines and details - the buttonholes are just wonderful!
Terri A said... (10/21/10 11:52 PM) Reply
I love it and am so happy you made this coat! It looks very complex- you did a great job! I think stitching the scallops is the perfect solution if you don't want the dramatic flair. This coat looks really intriguing!
carolynw said... (10/21/10 11:10 PM) Reply
Beautiful - very special - a for sure head turner because of all the special touches you added. Am sure you could not buy this in RTW unless you had $$$$++!I love it!!
Kayseri said... (10/21/10 10:23 PM) Reply
Terrific coat
marec said... (10/21/10 9:50 PM) Reply
You are the stegosaurus queen! I cannot believe you did this and didn't let on at all. The coat is beautiful, the style fits you perfectly (you look great with that length...keep doing it) and the topstitching without the scallops is just right. You are my sewing hero.
Kathelaine said... (10/21/10 9:43 PM) Reply
This is fabulous!!
MNBarb said... (10/21/10 9:10 PM) Reply
You made the funky coat! Good for you. I like the way you tamed the fins. I love to topstitch and am drooling over all of your lovely stitching. You took a fun pattern and made it better!
Mermie said... (10/21/10 8:35 PM) Reply
Gorgeous!
Lilibet said... (10/21/10 8:09 PM) Reply
Brilliant interpretation. I like Vogues version too but it's too distinctive to wear often. Yours is more casual but still special.
narcissaqtpie said... (10/21/10 7:55 PM) Reply
Wow!!!! You TOTALLY rocked this coat. You are my idol!
moushka said... (10/21/10 7:32 PM) Reply
Superb, stunning, fantastic! Your version of this pattern rocks! You are so creative. Love it :)
renren said... (10/21/10 7:13 PM) Reply
Oh, my gosh, this is so beautiful and artistic! I want to sew one but I know I can't yet!!! I love it and that scarf you are wearing is perfect for the denim. Wow, wow, wow!!! (After selecting "Very Helpful," I noticed you are Advanced. Of course you are Advanced!!! I'll never be able to make this--oh, well, I'll enjoy yours.)
DaisyEsq said... (10/21/10 6:56 PM) Reply
Your version of this coat is outstanding!
CarolynGM said... (10/21/10 6:45 PM) Reply
Sensational! I love what you did with this pattern.
DorothyK said... (10/21/10 6:35 PM) Reply
OMG. You sewed this so fast! It's fantastic. This has got to me the most fun pattern I've seen in a long time. I love your version of the pattern and am looking forward to seeing what else you come up with. I can't wait to make it myself.
ggf2005 said... (10/21/10 6:26 PM) Reply
your interpretation of this coat is so much better than what's on the pattern envelope. there's just too much going on with the scallops and different fabrics that just seems like overkill...but you have made the overdone into something fabulous
kkkkaty said... (10/21/10 6:17 PM) Reply
wow, good for you! Others more fainthearted have run from this pattern, but after they see your wonderful version, they"ll be eating crow.... great work!
sewing addict said... (10/21/10 6:13 PM) Reply
Your's is so much better looking than the pattern envelope. I saw it when it first appeared and didn't give it a second thought. You did a wonderful imaginative version.
Doris W. in TN said... (10/21/10 6:08 PM) Reply
What a gorgeous coat! I love it, especially the buttonhole treatment and the serpentine vertical stitching. Wow!
michellep74 said... (10/21/10 5:59 PM) Reply
I LOVE what you did with this pattern to make it your own! I was one of those who thought it was too arty in the catalogue, but I really love your version. So cute!
EleanorSews said... (10/21/10 5:43 PM) Reply
Yes!!! You did such a wonderful interpretation of this pattern. It is a fun design. Thank you!!
VirginiasDghter said... (10/21/10 5:31 PM) Reply
You didn't.....you didn't! I saw this pattern, looked at it for a SPLIT second and kept flippin' pages - lol. It just looked complicated. Love the fact that you made it in a denim blend! I'm impressed! Nice work!

Sewing Workshop Alex & Olive Tops