Mood Fabrics
Mood Fabrics

Pattern Reviews> Textile Studio> 1003 (Soho Pant)

Reviewed by:FreyaStark

About FreyaStarkstarstarstarstar
AUSTRALIA
Member since: 6/12/08
Posted on:10/22/10 3:37 AM
Last Updated:10/22/10 7:06 AM
Pattern Size:Plus-Sized Regular Petite

Review Rating: Helpful by 1 people    Very Helpful by 15 people
See other patterns in this category: Pants
Nancywin said... (5/1/11 9:17 PM) Reply
Thanks for your review on this. I have this pattern, but have not made it. When I was in Loes Hinse's studio last spring, she said it was a terrible pattern and not well drafted. (Of course, she also drafted patterns for Textile Studios, but not this one hahaha) Glad to see you had good results. If I do make it, I will check the waistband height before putting in the zipper. Thanks!
Dee2 said... (1/6/11 10:29 PM) Reply
Great looking pants--the fit is really nice & they look wonderful on.
ClaireEmily said... (10/25/10 6:07 PM) Reply
How nice that they fit so well first time! Do you find the wool itchy to wear unlined? I only ever had one pair of wool pants and I hated them and have never gone there since.
maryfrana said... (10/23/10 12:41 PM) Reply
These are perfectly classic. Thanks for the tips on the high waist. I have meant to make these for a long time. Your fit is so very nice.
lesliez said... (10/23/10 12:31 PM) Reply
These look great on you. Very flattering and I imagine that they are comfortable.
Sharonspils said... (10/23/10 1:54 AM) Reply
Wonderful classic pants and they are very flattering.
Annette1 said... (10/23/10 1:34 AM) Reply
Another great review, and that goes double for the pants! I especially like that waistband: comfortable yet flattering. :o)
marec said... (10/22/10 5:58 PM) Reply
Wonderful result with this pattern FreyaStark! I really like the drape you achieved. I have used this pattern with both wovens and knits. I just leave off the zipper on knits. It's my go-to pattern for kick around pants. Thanks for the info about finishing-I haven't a serger either.
FreyaStark said... (10/22/10 5:49 PM) Reply
Thanks all for those lovely compliments, and thanks for the tip, ggf2005. I did think of that, but because the fabric had frayed so badly already, it would have meant unpicking the zip and moving it further down. It was already in place and its position is critical to the waist treatment working. Next time I would finish the waist edge in advance - one way or another - to avoid problems later.
cloudyhn said... (10/22/10 5:28 PM) Reply
Classic ... Fit you totally and nice look with the top also
ggf2005 said... (10/22/10 5:13 PM) Reply
you can't beat the fit when you put a zipper in pants with an elastic waist. love the fabic even though it frays like mad. you could also turn the fabric under 1/4" (.5 cm?) press it and then sew the elastic on top of the folded fabric would be another way to create a neater edge inside.
jannw said... (10/22/10 12:07 PM) Reply
very good look on you and a great fit....thanx for all the details in the review
Mufffet said... (10/22/10 10:23 AM) Reply
Very very nice slacks.
carolynw said... (10/22/10 9:12 AM) Reply
They look great on you. Totally understadn the need for pants that will fit from one season to the next - just finished changing over from summer to Fall/Winter and oh how I wish I had found more that would fit - it's either lose weight (again) or try a pattern like this. Your usual very helpful review
AnitaJJ said... (10/22/10 8:53 AM) Reply
The pants look great on you and a very helpful review with the details of how the waistband works, how high it is and I LOVED the story at the end to put it all in context...
MNBarb said... (10/22/10 8:47 AM) Reply
I always love your reviews. The pants look great on you and, although the fabric sounds a bit beastly to handle, it has wonderful drape for these pants.
mssewcrazy said... (10/22/10 8:27 AM) Reply
I meant to add I really like the pants and how they fit-they look great.
mssewcrazy said... (10/22/10 8:26 AM) Reply
I have this pattern stashed after reading Karla's comments on it on PR. I was excited to read your review and hints. I had to laugh about the comments about a pants pattern to pull out when you need some to wear. I have lots of dress pants but need some real ones to wear all the time for casual wear that can stand lots of wash and wear.Thanks for all the tips.
renren said... (10/22/10 7:35 AM) Reply
Yes, classic is the word that comes to mind. They look, well, tailored although we are talking about 4 darts, a zipper and an elastic waist, just my kind of pants. Even though the fray-happy fabric was difficult to work with, I think it is the perfect pairing for this pattern.
Paris75008 said... (10/22/10 7:10 AM) Reply
Absolutely classic pants. They look very figure flattering. I don't think they look dated at all. Personally, I can't stand low rise pants.

Understanding Knit Fabrics