Online Sewing Class: Put it on the Bias

Pattern Reviews> Butterick> 5520 (Misses'/Misses' Petite Dress)

Reviewed by:eugenia123

About eugenia123starstar
UNITED KINGDOM
Member since: 8/6/08
Posted on:10/24/10 7:19 AM

slmstyle said... (1/28/14 2:25 PM) Reply
Wonderful work on this dress! I am thinking about making it up and came across your review. You have shown very inspiring sewing and tailoring skills in this lovely llittle sophistocated dress.
Scheri said... (3/3/11 1:22 AM) Reply
I lobe this pattern and I love what you did with the sleeves and your inside finish is beautiful. Excellent!
1SewSweet said... (10/25/10 7:56 PM) Reply
Very, very, very nice!!
becca a said... (10/25/10 7:25 AM) Reply
What fabulous details! I love the lace sleeves and careful, invisible stitching.
Danvillegirl said... (10/25/10 5:34 AM) Reply
Beautiful dress!
persevering said... (10/24/10 11:14 PM) Reply
Eugenia, Thank you for completely answering my question. Perhaps that is also why your sewing keeps impressing us as you make your beautiful clothes - your attention to detail.
dingyadi said... (10/24/10 10:32 PM) Reply
Wow that is stunning! It is indeed glamorous and luxurious and looks superb on you. I love the fabrics you have used.
sewmytime said... (10/24/10 9:53 PM) Reply
Thank you soooo much for clearing up that underlining question for me!
Christas said... (10/24/10 8:55 PM) Reply
Euegenia, your dress looks as nice on the inside as it does on the outside! Your sewing is lovely. Beautiful dress!
VirginiasDghter said... (10/24/10 6:15 PM) Reply
Love, love, love it! Simple, elegant, charming....Fantastic job!
Miss33 said... (10/24/10 5:14 PM) Reply
Beautiful dress!
renren said... (10/24/10 4:13 PM) Reply
Beautiful!
eugenia123 said... (10/24/10 2:50 PM) Reply
Thanks to everyone for the nice comments! To cbowden06 - underlining the lace sleeves was very simple - as you say, I just basted the two layers together by hand just inside the seam allowance then treated them as one. To Persevering - I raised the armholes because I tend to do this on pretty much every pattern I make - I don't like to have armholes that are too low because it restricts my arm movement and I don't like them to gape. I didn't add the shoulder pads because when the dress was finished I just decided that it didn't need them - the shoulders sat fine without pads.
RLL said... (10/24/10 1:57 PM) Reply
You certainly achieved 'glamorous'. As well as a few other words.....gorgeous, elegant, beautiful......
rozzybabe said... (10/24/10 12:54 PM) Reply
Your version looks better than the pic on the pattern site! Great finishing on the inside is the difference between a so-so sewer & a very particular one! Thanks for all of your reviews.
Paris75008 said... (10/24/10 10:51 AM) Reply
Very glamorous! Great fit and superb use of the contrasting fabrics
persevering said... (10/24/10 10:50 AM) Reply
Your dress is sophisticated, glamorous, and fits elegantly - quite an achievement! Please explain a bit more regarding eliminating the shoulder pads.... I noticed that you raised the armholes - Is this part the shoulder pad elimination? And do you have to do something with the shoulder itself too?
marec said... (10/24/10 10:42 AM) Reply
My goodness, you look so sophisticated and ready for anything in this dress. Wonderful!! I admire the amount of detail you accomplished in the construction of this lovely dinner dress.
Catbird said... (10/24/10 10:19 AM) Reply
Well, you're just zooming down the glamour highway and leaving the rest of us in the dust! Peter was right about you and your "casually sophisticated glamour." This is really beautiful inside and out and I love being able to follow your creative progress -- each project seems to bring a new challenge and a new triumph. I love it!
Lili123 said... (10/24/10 9:23 AM) Reply
what a nice dress!!!very elegant.
DaisyEsq said... (10/24/10 9:04 AM) Reply
Your dress is beautiful.
MNBarb said... (10/24/10 8:55 AM) Reply
Your work on this dress is superb!
sewmytime said... (10/24/10 8:45 AM) Reply
I love this dress! Wonderful work about the underlining as I've never done this before is simply just basting the two layers together and treating as one..Is it that simple?
KensingtonCrab said... (10/24/10 8:41 AM) Reply
Absolutely beautiful!
Ruth Designs said... (10/24/10 8:29 AM) Reply
Very nice job!
cloudyhn said... (10/24/10 7:54 AM) Reply
So cute, fit you so well and I love it.

PerfectFuseTailorUltra White